2017 Kubota L3901 frequent stall

Rod in S

Aug 4, 2018
Calhoun Falls, SC
I’m having problems with my tractor stalling. I can use it for about 20 minutes and then it will stall. Acts like it’s running out of fuel. I can cut switch off and give it 4-5 minutes then it will start and run for another 5-10 minutes or so and then stall again. It only does it while I’m using it. It will idle for as long as I want it to but if I do any work it will eventually start to stall after 20 mins or so.

I took it to dealer a month or so ago and he ran diagnostics on it and saw nothing. It started working fine after that for a few weeks and now it’s stalling again. Dealer said computer must have reset something when he ran diagnostics first time but he has no clue what it is. And it’s not the seat switch because I even zip tied it down to see if that was it.

Anybody here ever heard of this? What should I do?

Thanks
Rodney

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
There is a fine screen in the water separator, I would check that.

The other problem that causes this type thing is something in the tank stopping up the outlet. Next time it stalls, pull the line going to the water separator, if you don't get good flow, there is something in the tank. Make sure you have something that you can catch the diesel in case it isn't anything clogging the outlet.

Rod in S

Aug 4, 2018
Calhoun Falls, SC
At 50 hours. It only has 70 hrs on it now. Could that be why it ran good after I first got it back from the dealer? I took it for the stalling problem but it was near the 50 hour mark so I let them do the scheduled maintenance. I assume they changed the fuel filter. Think it may be the filter with only 20 hours on it?
Thanks
Rodney

Rod in S

Aug 4, 2018
Calhoun Falls, SC
But if it was the fuel filter why would it start easily after a five minute wait? It’s the same every time. It stalls andI cut the switch and wait about 5 minutes then it will start and run again for about 10-20mminites and stall again. I can’t get it to start if I try too soon like within a couple minutes. Usually have to wait at least 5 minutes or more.
Thanks

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
in my experience working on other equipment, ive seen fuel filters clog, and debris in the tank and in shut off valves in the fuel line.

ive removed june bugs, wasps, horse flys, roaches, leaf debris

had a fork lift that would only randomly shut down when fuel level got below 1/4 tank. had them run it that low and begin to have the issue then call me back before they filled the tank.

i found 3 balls of crud that looked like rat turds floating in the tank. just kinda suspended in the fuel. the fuel pick up was an open tube, no screen on it. one of these turds would get sucked into the pickup and shut the machine down. once suction was gone, it would fall out and float away.

removed the turds, they were fine rust particulate, dirt and "other" poured just a bit of water on the turds and they melted.

i'm betting you have a similar event, of fuel that is clogging up fuel filter.

on my own B2400 i installed a glass filter before the stock element bowl so i could see what sort of trash was getting into. but i have also had the fuel for a gel and clog a filter as well (algae ) so don't rule that out.

if machine sits unused for any length of time an algaecide isn't a bad idea.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
But if it was the fuel filter why would it start easily after a five minute wait? It’s the same every time. It stalls andI cut the switch and wait about 5 minutes then it will start and run again for about 10-20mminites and stall again. I can’t get it to start if I try too soon like within a couple minutes. Usually have to wait at least 5 minutes or more.
Thanks
the suction of the fuel thru the filter media draws the particulate into the media and it clogs, once the draw is gone, it settles out over time. very fine particles.