2014 Zg227 zero turn / need help

chrisbeard40

Equipment
Zg227
Mar 18, 2023
Hallettsville texas
I have bought this zero turn zg227 , mowed great then went to check the oil the next morning and crankcase is full of gas! Carburetor is clean, with the key on and the engine off the fuel pump runs constantly, I don’t know if it’s supposed to reach a certain pressure and cut off? The engine does stay running after you turn the key off for a few seconds. If anyone can point me in the right direction this would be helpful thanks.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I don't know your comfort level working on things like a carb. I am decent at small engine repair and have some training. I would remove bowl, work float up and down paying attention to what the needle is doing. I don't think you will need a rebuild kit but I also don't know the history of your mower. It may be old fuel gummed things up or water.

Now days small engine repair guys would partially disassemble the carb and throw it in a ultrasonic cleaner for 45 minutes or so with detergent like Awesome or simple green. Rinse with fresh water and dry using compressed air. After that re-install and test. Look on Utube for videos based on your engine about carb cleaning and troubleshooting. Look for higher number of views and read through the comments section.

chrisbeard40

Equipment
Zg227
Mar 18, 2023
Hallettsville texas
I don't know your comfort level working on things like a carb. I am decent at small engine repair and have some training. I would remove bowl, work float up and down paying attention to what the needle is doing. I don't think you will need a rebuild kit but I also don't know the history of your mower.

Now days small engine repair guys would partially disassemble the carb and throw it in a ultrasonic cleaner for 45 minutes or so with detergent like Awesome or simple green. Rinse with fresh water and dry using compressed air. After that re-install and test. Look on Utube for videos based on your engine about carb cleaning and troubleshooting. Look for higher number of views and read through the comments section.
Yeah I’m pretty good with engines, been tearing down truck motors and putting them together no problem for awhile now lol , my other question is does the fuel pump always run constantly with the engine not running and key on? Or does it have a cut off pressure point?

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Yeah I’m pretty good with engines, been tearing down truck motors and putting them together no problem for awhile now lol , my other question is does the fuel pump always run constantly with the engine not running and key on? Or does it have a cut off pressure point?
I don't have a gas engined Kubota. On the diesels the fuel pump runs when the key is switched on and stays running. I believe there is a bypass return to the fuel tank that maintain a set pressure and volume of fuel to the engine. I believe that gas engines do the same.

chrisbeard40

Equipment
Zg227
Mar 18, 2023
Hallettsville texas
I don't have a gas engined Kubota. On the diesels the fuel pump runs when the key is switched on and stays running. I believe there is a bypass return to the fuel tank that maintain a set pressure and volume of fuel to the engine. I believe that gas engines do the same.
Thank you for the help! I’ll just have to order gaskets then I’ll try it out!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, as I see this with riding mowers,...so I looked at the online parts...
the carb has a solenoid on the bottom of it. B&S call it an 'antidieselling' solenoid. When the key is on, 12volts goes to it, allows gas into the carb. Often they fail to totally block the gas when key is off. Gravity allows gas to flow from tank to carn, past rings ,into the crankcase. 'extra full thin oil, gassy smell' is the telltale !
The usual routine is to remove, clean really, really good with 'brake cleaner ', test on bench to be sure it operates, then reattach to carb, reconnect the wire...
Adding a mechanical shut off is a good idea,just remember to ALWAYS use it.....

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Can anyone confirm if the fuel pump
Shuts off or does it have a hose for a return to the tank?
there is no return. It is a deadhead design.

with key on engine off, the pump should prime then shut off. If it stays running more than about 15 seconds the pump's internal pressure shut off is not working and you'd probably be wise to replace the pump.

Also-and this may be worth looking into-there was a recall on the carburetors on the early ZG series, also a wiring harness modification that dealt with the pump. Call dealer with your serial number, ask them if there are any active bulletins on it.

chrisbeard40

Equipment
Zg227
Mar 18, 2023
Hallettsville texas
there is no return. It is a deadhead design.

with key on engine off, the pump should prime then shut off. If it stays running more than about 15 seconds the pump's internal pressure shut off is not working and you'd probably be wise to replace the pump.

Also-and this may be worth looking into-there was a recall on the carburetors on the early ZG series, also a wiring harness modification that dealt with the pump. Call dealer with your serial number, ask them if there are any active bulletins on it.
thank you, and the fuel pump does not shut off it keeps running even when I put my finger over the end of hose. So I will definitely look into replacement!