2010 BX2660 oil leak

renov8tor

Equipment
bx2660
Nov 23, 2014
ohio
FYI (discovered 11/21/14)
If you have a 2660 and it's leaking oil, do yourself a favor and inspect the front of the oil pan just above the power steering fitting (when facing the tractor it is on your right hand side). If your unfortunate like me you will find that the 90 degree hydraulic ell fitting for the power steering has worn a hole into the oil pan. I suspect as the axle travels up and down the fitting makes contact with the oil pan. Right now mine is a pin hole leak but will require a new oil pan and a revised hose routing/fitting configuration. My 2010 BX has only 227 hours on it and I have already replaced the power steering hoses because they rubbed through. I was told by the dealer that it was a design flaw but of course it was not covered under warranty. Now I have a much bigger problem and I don't expect much help from my local dealer or Kubota for that matter even though in my opinion this is a major design flaw and could be remedied by using a different hydraulic fitting.

Finding the damage is not easy because the area is very tight and congested. First raise the hood and remove the grill/engine cover. Raise the front end of the tractor so you can get a better view. Use a rag to remove any grime around the front of the axle and right side steering hose fitting. With a flashlight inspect the front right corner of the oil pan for wear or indentation. You best view of the front of the oil pan is from the front just over the front mounting plate used for a brush guard or weights.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Sorry to hear this. I did a check on my 2010 BX1860, but I used a flash light and a mirror. Things look good with nothing near the pan. No need to remove any hood coverings.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I wouldnt be buying a pan- get it welded.
It may seem like an impossible thing but it is do-able.
I used an epoxy putty to repair an aluminum crankcase 12 years ago. Its still holding. I never thought it would last.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Yep, perfect job for metal epoxy putty. Get area clean from dirt and oil, use a solvent to get really clean.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've used a product called "Water Weld". It's in a tube, big around as a quarter and 4" long. Break off what you need, kneed it and apply it. I've used it on copper piping, pvc pipe, steel.... it works good. What's nice about it is it's consistency. It's like clay, doesn't run. Clean it real good and rough it up with heavy grit paper then clean again. You're ready to apply.