2008 B7800 L402 issues

prtrc

Equipment
B7800
Mar 16, 2023
Maine
My FEL is having issues. 300 hour service performed this summer. This past fall a couple times (not always) some functions of the FEL would seem to be sluggish intermittently but seemed to come out of it. I snowplow with it (rear implement ) but don't use the FEL too much in the snow. It sat for a couple weeks and I had to unbury a boat and all worked fine but then suddenly the bucket would not rotate up or down, and when lowering FEL it was extremely slow and would not have power to lift tractor off front tires. I disconnected all 4 FEL couplings below joystick and cleaned thoroughly then reconnected. Bucket seems to be fine now (but did not put it thru a workout). Still same issue with lowering the FEL - no improvement. Any thoughts on what to do next? Hydraulic fluid is fine and full.

Another note - joystick. Left, right, down seem fine but when pushing forward to lower FEL it does nothing until I push it forward past a point where it "clicks" (for lack of a better description). I never noticed this "click" before but it might have always done it - after the "click" it allows the joystick to move forward about another 1/4-1/2" (but again FEL goes down very slow with no strength). The joystick clearly movers further than the other 3 positions. Thoughts?

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could be an issue with the detent section of the valve.
Or it could be a quick disconnect that is failing to open completely.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My FEL is having issues. 300 hour service performed this summer. This past fall a couple times (not always) some functions of the FEL would seem to be sluggish intermittently but seemed to come out of it. I snowplow with it (rear implement ) but don't use the FEL too much in the snow. It sat for a couple weeks and I had to unbury a boat and all worked fine but then suddenly the bucket would not rotate up or down, and when lowering FEL it was extremely slow and would not have power to lift tractor off front tires. I disconnected all 4 FEL couplings below joystick and cleaned thoroughly then reconnected. Bucket seems to be fine now (but did not put it thru a workout). Still same issue with lowering the FEL - no improvement. Any thoughts on what to do next? Hydraulic fluid is fine and full.

Another note - joystick. Left, right, down seem fine but when pushing forward to lower FEL it does nothing until I push it forward past a point where it "clicks" (for lack of a better description). I never noticed this "click" before but it might have always done it - after the "click" it allows the joystick to move forward about another 1/4-1/2" (but again FEL goes down very slow with no strength). The joystick clearly movers further than the other 3 positions. Thoughts?

Thanks
The extra movement is the float position for the bucket. Thats normal and something you need to learn to use.

Do you have any additional hydraulics on the tractor - backhoe, rear remotes, etc?

Lower the 3pt to the ground and see if that changes anything.

Dan

prtrc

Equipment
B7800
Mar 16, 2023
Maine
The extra movement is the float position for the bucket. Thats normal and something you need to learn to use.

Do you have any additional hydraulics on the tractor - backhoe, rear remotes, etc?

Lower the 3pt to the ground and see if that changes anything.

Dan
I have a 3pt attached meteor snowblower. It is in the down position when I experience this issue. I will try raising to see if it acts differently. Good to know on the float position - nothing in the manual on this - thought it being a 2008 it did not have float capability. Appreciate the feedback

prtrc

Equipment
B7800
Mar 16, 2023
Maine
Could be an issue with the detent section of the valve.
Or it could be a quick disconnect that is failing to open completely.
I will try the disconnects again and possibly replace. BTW - looking at the FEL arms - which hydraulic connect controls the down motion - the lower connection to the underarm (closest to the seat) or the one closest to the bucket? thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I will try the disconnects again and possibly replace. BTW - looking at the FEL arms - which hydraulic connect controls the down motion - the lower connection to the underarm (closest to the seat) or the one closest to the bucket? thanks
The boom is controlled by the two connectors on the left side of the valve.

Is there anything hydraulic on the snow blower?

Dan

prtrc

Equipment
B7800
Mar 16, 2023
Maine
The boom is controlled by the two connectors on the left side of the valve.

Is there anything hydraulic on the snow blower?

Dan
pto driven snowblower. Manual chute control. Just up and down hydraulics (quarter inching valve, not position control)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
pto driven snowblower. Manual chute control. Just up and down hydraulics (quarter inching valve, not position control)
That eliminates some of the possibilities I was considering.

Sounds like one of the boom couplers. You can test that by taking them out of the circuit or just replace them if they are not expensive.

Dan

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You can swap around the couplers. See if the problem stays with the loader function, or stays with the joystick.

So if you swap the curl function with the boom lift, and now the curl doesn't work well, the boom lift works well, that points you towards something in the joystick/valve setup. If the boom still doesn't work well, that'd suggest something in the cylinder end of the circuit.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You can swap around the couplers. See if the problem stays with the loader function, or stays with the joystick.

So if you swap the curl function with the boom lift, and now the curl doesn't work well, the boom lift works well, that points you towards something in the joystick/valve setup. If the boom still doesn't work well, that'd suggest something in the cylinder end of the circuit.
Better to completely remove the suspect coupler(s) and/or disconnect hose(s) and test with a partially open circuit. Results are unambiguous.

EXAMPLE:

Disconnect rod end coupler and remove hose from coupler half. Put disconnected hose in bucket, start tractor and raise loader.

If it raises and lowers with the hose disconnected the rod end coupler is defective. If it will not raise and lower the base end coupler is defective.

Dan

Last edited:

prtrc

Equipment
B7800
Mar 16, 2023
Maine
Better to completely remove the suspect coupler(s) and/or disconnect hose(s) and test with a partially open circuit. Results are unambiguous.

EXAMPLE:

Disconnect rod end coupler and remove hose from coupler half. Put disconnected hose in bucket, start tractor and raise loader.

If it raises and lowers with the hose disconnected the rod end coupler is defective. If it will not raise and lower the base end coupler is defective.

Dan
I replaced all the couplers, both halfs. Its all original equipment and price was not too bad so I bit the bullet. One of the male coupler halfs had some crap in it. All functional now but I did not petform a big work out on it. So time will tell if resolved. Priced detents which are pricy. interesting left side close to 100 bucks more than right side but they look the same. Appreciate all the help and info I learned a lot for this issue and trouble shooting in the future.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I replaced all the couplers, both halfs. Its all original equipment and price was not too bad so I bit the bullet. One of the male coupler halfs had some crap in it. All functional now but I did not petform a big work out on it. So time will tell if resolved. Priced detents which are pricy. interesting left side close to 100 bucks more than right side but they look the same. Appreciate all the help and info I learned a lot for this issue and trouble shooting in the future.
Shucks - you took all the fun out of it.

Good to go but hope that crap in the coupler does not have friends....

Dan

Reactions: 1 user