2004 B2710HSD With Bad Trans

Robertsjm711

May 26, 2023
Lebanon, Or
Kubota Gurus,
I came across this 2004 B2710HSD with loader at a dealership asking ~$5k. The kicker is that they say it has a “bad trans”, but zero details or history. I went over today to take a look, and it looks a little abused/neglected, but did start right up and sounds like it runs well, loafer operates, and it has no trans sounds. Where it was sitting there were many tractors in the way, but did move forward and backward as far as it could due to space, half foot or so.
Any thoughts, suggestions, or questions I need to ask? The dealer seems very uninterested in it, so I would offer something lower if I feel the risk is acceptable. I am mechanically inclined, and diagnosing and repairing vehicles are no problem. (ASE master mechanic, etc. )

thoughts?
thanks!
Jon

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can't tell you how many times I've heard bad transmission, only to find out a clutch is bad or a propeller shaft joint is bad, and a multitude of other issue all simply repairable.
Worst case scenario you can get a good used HST unit for about $2500.
I think well worth the risk.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I bought a BX2350 at auction. They weren't clear if it ran or not, and it had been heavily abused - that's the model with the plastic panels, and every panel was broken, plus the headlights gone, and the apprentice had clearly stepped on the bit of the mower that said "don't step".

Turned out it ran just fine, nothing wrong with it. Welded up some breakage on the mower, added a loader, it was an excellent tractor. They're pretty robust, a bit of cosmetic abuse doesn't appear to impact the mechanicals at all.

It's very possible that it's fine or needs an inexpensive repair. It's also possible it needs something expensive. I'd personally take the risk, so long as the price of the machine + the price of any parts you're likely to need is still an OK deal. And if you're lucky it's cheaper than that. Wolfman knows his stuff... his advice is good.

Robertsjm711

May 26, 2023
Lebanon, Or
Well, I am standing at the part counter now ordering g filters, and it is loaded on my trailer. Ended up getting it for $3750, and (so far) it runs and drives in L, M & H. Loader operates, all good (again, so far)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well, I am standing at the part counter now ordering g filters, and it is loaded on my trailer. Ended up getting it for $3750, and (so far) it runs and drives in L, M & H. Loader operates, all good (again, so far)
WOW you stole it!
Great job!

Reactions: 1 user

Robertsjm711

May 26, 2023
Lebanon, Or
Looks like when I try to engage the belly pto, it binds up and kills the engine. At least I know what the issue is, and can investigate what is needed, if anything. I have no plans to use that…