2003 B7400 won't start

kwhites634

Equipment
2003 B7400
Dec 5, 2018
Walkersville, MD, USA
Just bought this tractor a couple weeks ago, & it ran fine; now it won't start (probably operator error). Battery's strong, engine turns over, but won't fire.
With switch held at "preheat", the yellow light (glow plug ?) comes on, but doesn't go out, even after holding 2-3 minutes.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It won't go out until you release the key or continue to start. Holding it for 3 minutes, you might have cooked the glo plugs. Maximum tine for preheat is about 30 seconds in extremely cold weather

Read your owners manual. It's in there...

This tractor? What tractor? You need to include more information in your signature line...

kwhites634

Equipment
2003 B7400
Dec 5, 2018
Walkersville, MD, USA
It won't go out until you release the key or continue to start. Holding it for 3 minutes, you might have cooked the glo plugs. Maximum tine for preheat is about 30 seconds in extremely cold weather

Read your owners manual. It's in there...

This tractor? What tractor? You need to include more information in your signature line...
That's part of the problem; have no Owner's Manual. Experience with diesels very limited.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok let’s find out more...
What is a “stop plunger”?
If it is a knob that you are pulling similar to a choke then don’t use that to stop the engine. That is a decompression knob used to start the tractor in this sequence:
Pull knob out
Apply glow plugs for a small while
Start cranking engine. It should spin fast and easy.
When spinning for a very little bit push in knob and tractor should start.

If the incoming air is cold then don’t crank it long with knob out or you will cool off the glow plugs probably (I live in central Texas so don’t worry about that)

To stop your tractor the fuel should be cut off manually or by the key to the off position-depends on age and model.

Mine has a lever by right side of dash to hold up and cuts fuel off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What is a ***8220;stop plunger***8221;?
If it is a knob that you are pulling similar to a choke then don***8217;t use that to stop the engine. That is a decompression knob
That tractor does not have a decompression knob, it does have an emergency stop knob in the event the electric stop solenoid doesn't work. ;)

Last edited:

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Once again, NIW comes through with one of those little facts that makes all the difference. There's a ton of good info locked away in NIW's brain and I, for one, am very thankful that he shares it with us here in this forum.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have that red knob on both my M's but I've never used it. It's dusty...:eek:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That tractor does not have a decompression knob, it does have an emergency stop knob in the even the electric stop solenoid doesn't work. ;)
Ok thanks for clarifying that and now I can’t help but wonder how you know things like that for so many different models...

So in a fully working factory configuration the key turned to off position would shut it down? Correct?

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Ok thanks for clarifying that and now I can’t help but wonder how you know things like that for so many different models...

So in a fully working factory configuration the key turned to off position would shut it down? Correct?

Interesting, I have a B7500 & the only way to kill it is pull the red knob.

My other 2 are electric stop & no emergency knobs I am aware of.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Just lots of work and research. ;)

Actually I misspoke in the fact that both the B7400 and B7500 only had a manual stop, no electrical stop, and oddly enough both blocks have the access hole to bolt one on it. :eek: :confused:
I think it might be due to the fact they were marketed to all areas not just the USA.

so no shutting off the key doesn't kill them only the stop lever will.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

The reason your other 2 models don't have or need an emergency stop lever is because they are active systems, they need power to the system to make fuel move and removing power cuts the fuel. ;)

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Good info to know. All of my fleet (B2410, pair of B7510's) have an electric fuel solenoid and no manual shutoff. Ain't it wonderful how a couple of digits in the model number makes all the difference in the world?!?!

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
The reason your other 2 models don't have or need an emergency stop lever is because they are active systems, they need power to the system to make fuel move and removing power cuts the fuel. ;)
I do believe the BX takes power to kill it.

The 3940 needs power to run.

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Yep you're right on your BX, too many different configuration to keep up with them all. :eek:
I have one of each, electric to kill, drop electric to kill & pull the red knob to kill.

My old Farmall Diesel is pull to kill also but it is like choke cable device.

kwhites634

Equipment
2003 B7400
Dec 5, 2018
Walkersville, MD, USA

All informative replies; my thanks to all of you. However, while I thought the problem was solved (ie. my ignorance), it's come back.

It'd crank, but wouldn't fire. Finally jump started it with my truck & it ran fine. Only needed to move it out of the way of a tree I was about to drop, so when I'd done that I shut it down; hasn't hit a lick since.

Battery's strong; dash lights & signal lights come on good & bright, but it won't turn over, like there's not even a battery in it. We took the starter off & tried shorting across the terminals with a screw driver; sparked, but bendix didn't extend.

At this point we're thinking bad starter. Amazon, Ebay, or the local Dealer don't have one; $400 if they did. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:

kwhites634

Equipment
2003 B7400
Dec 5, 2018
Walkersville, MD, USA
All informative replies; my thanks to all of you. However, while I thought the problem was solved (ie. my ignorance), it's come back.

It'd crank, but wouldn't fire. Finally jump started it with my truck & it ran fine. Only needed to move it out of the way of a tree I was about to drop, so when I'd done that I shut it down; hasn't hit a lick since.

Battery's strong; dash lights & signal lights come on good & bright, but it won't turn over, like there's not even a battery in it. We took the starter off & tried shorting across the terminals with a screw driver; sparked, but bendix didn't extend.

At this point we're thinking bad starter. Amazon, Ebay, or the local Dealer don't have one; $400 if they did. Any ideas or suggestions?
Update: Starter was indeed the problem. Local dealer got hold of one from another dealer & tractor's back in service.

OLD GAR

Equipment
MF210, FORD 8N, BIG TEX CH18,
Aug 3, 2015
ZWOLLE
Update: Starter was indeed the problem. Local dealer got hold of one from another dealer & tractor's back in service.
I've got a Mid 80s B7500 that has given me multiple fails but the most recent happened yesterday. Engine started normally, :)rolleyes:) drove 200yds to the job site, shut down to adjust some of the job stuff. Mounted and when the key start was engaged only got a couple of klicks then nothing. Dash lites went out and after towing it to the shop checked all the fuses - even replaced ones that were a little corroded. Still nothing. Today uncowled the engine compartment to get to the starter. What a mess. Someone had screwed around with all the wiring but It has never failed to start and run before now. There was no starter activation when shorting across the battery terminal to the starter terminal. Discovered there is already 13V to the starter terminal without any attempt to key start or press the clutch pedal in to deactivate its cutout mode!
I don't think this unit has an ECM. If it does I don't see it. No electrical smells but could the starter have just fried or failed?
Do I suspect the solenoid or starter? Thanks

Last edited: