2" reciever on top of bucket

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I see some putting a 2" reciever on top of their buckets. I even saw a manufacturer that has a bolt on receiver and hooks on top of the bucket. My question, isnt the receiver way too high on top of the bucket? Do you have to crank the dolly wheel all the way up to get under the hitch? Also doesnt the lip of the bucket hit the dolly wheel trying to hook up? I guess it works good on really big trailers?

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I planned to add a hitch....somehow up front, and scrounged up materials for a few choices. I'm undecided. Therefore it moved to the bottom of the list.

My best thought is to add it to the SSQA Mount itself.

I have 3 trailer balls..1-7/8", 2", 2-5/8" on my Box Blade, and a receiver on the frame below the PTO. They work fine.

The best approach is from the front.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe be able to curl the bucket down, get ball into coupler then curl up ?
Utility trailer tongues are about 17" from ground,car haulers about 12" when level, more of less.

I'll have to look tomorrow,finishing off the snow pusher and installing winter windshield in the morning.

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Use a drop hitch?

I thought about it, because it's really hard to tell where the ball is if it's bolted to the bottom of the bucket, but I have the same conundrum that I don't think it would actually fit. Also, there's a hook welded in the middle of my bucket already. I guess I could weld the receiver under it inside the bucket, it probably wouldn't really be in the way of using the bucket for loading stuff. Hmm.

Reactions: 1 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I see some putting a 2" reciever on top of their buckets. I even saw a manufacturer that has a bolt on receiver and hooks on top of the bucket. My question, isnt the receiver way too high on top of the bucket? Do you have to crank the dolly wheel all the way up to get under the hitch? Also doesnt the lip of the bucket hit the dolly wheel trying to hook up? I guess it works good on really big trailers?
They suck unless you use a 12" drop hitch and long receiver extension so you can see it.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
In my case with my MX, it’s yes and no. Yes the bucket is too high, if using a strait 2” hitch. However, I have a drop hitch which can be used high or low. So when I use in the drop configuration it’s fine. That being said when the ball is below the top of bucket it’s a pain in the ass to hook up because there is no visibility to the ball, if that makes sense. Extra set of eyes helps, or you can plan to get on/ off machine a couple times until you get it right. I also use mine to push a wagon around and in that case I use a straight hitch and just use a hitch pin and it’s no issue at all. I hope this helps.

Beyond just using for a trailer you can put a work platform on a 2” tube in there or even a tool box, sawbuck, or whatever else you mount on a 2” tube. It’s very handy IMO for way more than just pushing trailers. 🥃

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I drilled a hole and mounted the ball right onto the bucket, top center. It was a B8200 tractor. I could come up tho my trailers, roll the bucket if needed to get the ball in the hitch. Never had a bit of trouble with it.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I have holes in the ends of my forks, so I just put a ball in one of the forks. Lots of visibility, but the trailer/wagon turns quick.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I have the 2" hitch, and ring - tow hook arrangement that you refer to. It is difficult to see the ball with my 2" drop hitch attached, but overall it's a very very handy tool.

Respectfully, you might be over thinking it. It works. Is it perfect? Almost.

if you want perfect, mount a ball on the end of a fork.

Reactions: 2 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
A friend had a shop with the ball mounted on the end of a forklift which worked very good! Now on the end of a fork on an already long tractor I guess would be fine if you have lots of room to move around! I do have a ball on a 3 point drawbar which works great (only used on level ground) but putting it on to use for just a few minutes of use is a PITA especially if the 3 point hitch is not on the tractor! If the BH is on its a REAL PITA! I may go this way?

Hitch Tamer – R2 Manufacturing

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I weld a receiver to just about everything I have. (mostly because it give me an excuse to weld more...LOL)

Got 2 on my ballast box

20230221_102702[1].jpg

one on my bucket that I welded on "upside-down" so that I can roll the bucket and get under the trailer tongue.

20220714_140308[1].jpg

And I made this adaptor for it, to slide on my fork tip.

20230221_102746[1].jpg

Got one on my grapple too. No pics of that though.

Last edited:

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I drilled a hole and mounted the ball right onto the bucket, top center. It was a B8200 tractor. I could come up tho my trailers, roll the bucket if needed to get the ball in the hitch. Never had a bit of trouble with it.
This is what I had for years on my B7200 assuming it was on the bottom cutting blade on the bucket. My new bucket on my LX2610 already had holes in the bottom edge so it was just a matter of bolting it on. I have used it to move a heavy loaded tandem trailer without any issues. Just a simple piece of 3" bar stock with two holes in it. One for the bolt and one for the ball.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Most of the year the mower is on the back. There's a 2" ball on it that makes it easy to back it under the trailer or generator and pick them up to move them. Neither is very heavy.

The bucket mounted receiver doesn't get used very much as a trailer hitch. There's an adjustable aluminum hitch for when it does. The bucket can also be dumped a bit to get under hitches if they are borderline too low.

The bucket receiver is more often used for holding stuff to work on when I'm too lazy to roll the welding table out. The smaller winch mounted on a short piece of 2x2 that is handy for lighter work., such as removing a few 700# A/C compressors from the church basement in the lower pics. We needed almost 20' of lift to get them from the bottom of the stairs to clear a handrail at the top. There wasn't a lot of extra clearance between the roof and the bottom of the compressor when lifted to clear the handrail. Yes, the whitehaired guy habitually ventured into the danger zone (and this was before the tractor got its horn).

Attachments

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I have holes in the ends of my forks, so I just put a ball in one of the forks. Lots of visibility, but the trailer/wagon turns quick.
I did this too. Makes for an interesting to operate and highly maneuverable hitch. I also got a 3-point hitch receiver frame for trailering from the back.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Made this up from scraps quick like at work for moving trailers around the yard. Works very well. A ball could easily be substituted for the pin. Though I have moved ball mounts with this setup.
716BF0DB-CF18-492F-8B5E-5F408499DE54.jpeg

19F56F6D-1478-4D04-8903-29B8A79453C0.jpeg

6F00C3DA-D31E-4F1E-B6C3-722026850A5D.jpeg

Last edited: