1977 B6000E Decompression question

ChrisMacon

Equipment
1977 B6000E
Jul 10, 2013
Macon Georgia
I have a 1977 B6000E and the decompression bar is missing. I can't stop the tractor from running without standing on the brakes at low RPM and stall the motor. Is the compression release also used to "Stop" the motor? When the head was re-worked, the tech removed the bar.

We just obtained the tractor from my mothers estate after her passing. I haven't used the tractor for 20 years.

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can't cut the fuel off with the throttle?
That's how you stop the B7100.

ChrisMacon

Equipment
1977 B6000E
Jul 10, 2013
Macon Georgia
I'll try and adjust the throttle, but no, my throttle will not engage far enough to cut it off. I need to pull a diagram somewhere of what to buy for the lever and linkage if anyone knows a source. Thanks.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I read somewhere, the manual I think, that using the decompression while running was an emergency only solution, and could result in damage. It was stressed pretty strongly that this is only for getting the engine spinning fast enough to light when the battery can't otherwise manage on it's own (particularly cold weather, weak battery, etc)

The B7100 (mine anyway) will not shut down with the had throttle itself. But there is a little lever on the right side just forward of your knee that lets you pull the linkage past where the hand throttle stops. Doing so cuts off the fuel and the motor shuts down.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
No, the decomp is not designed to stop the engine although it will in an emergency. The engine on B6000's is shut off by pushing the throttle lever all the way forward. If that does not stop the engine, there is an adjustment on the throttle linkage rod that needs to be made.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Also I might add that there is a pair of adjustable stoppers on the top of the fuel pump where the linkage rod connects to it IIRC that might need adjusting.
They limit how far the throttle linkage can travel. One is to set the max rpm (to prevent over revving the engine, don't mess with it) and the other sets how low the throttle can be set. (That's the one you might need to adjust if the lever on the top of the fuel pump is hitting it before the engine will shut off). It is rare to have to adj these stoppers as they are set at the factory, unless someone has messed with them so check for the spring loaded adjuster on the throttle linkage near the throttle lever end first. Its designed so that when set correctly, the engine will be at a low idle start up position when you push the throttle forward until the spring just starts to compress. Push the lever fwd more and the spring will compress and the fuel will be shut off to the engine, killing it. The spring simply returns the throttle lever to the low idle position when you let go of the lever after shutting the engine off.
Hope this is clear as mud, if you need pics of what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll post a couple.

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Do I feel stupid now....................:eek:

The previous owner told me to use the decompression to shut it down. I just now learned how to use the lever under the dash..........wow.

Oh boy.