1948 jd a

Haylough

Equipment
L3410
Oct 29, 2016
Rogers, Mn. USA
Hi, well this is the only tractor forum I'm a memeber of bought 3410 last year. I also was passed down a john deere A from father in law. If you can help I appreiciette it, if not I get it. Hooked up battery to start 1948 deere and the cables at post started smoking when engaging the starter. Battery hooked up correct as far as I know. neg cable little corroded, I cleaned the ground connect and still smoked. I'm almost positive my father in law told me it was converted over to a 12 volt system but not 100% confident in that. So I don't know if its a positve ground system or negative ground system of not. By the way tractor did start with neg ground hook up. What do you think I have going. Just a weekend warrior here, not a genius when comes to electrical or engines, but did get it running. Thx if can help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like it's a 6 Volt starter and you over powering it.

Post a picture of the alternator/generator and the starter. ;)

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
I converted my 8N to 12 volt, but the starter is still the original 6 volt unit. It just spins a bit faster than it did when pushing 6 volts through it.

It was also originally positive ground, and I changed that with the 12 conversion. The starter still spins the correct direction.

Some guys told me that if I over crank the starter it can be bad for it, but I have never had the need to crank it much. It always starts before the engine has cranked more than one revolution.

So smoke means it is getting hot, and that is because there is excessive resistance in the circuit.

Things I'd look for are corroded cables (peel the insulation back some, if there is green more than a 1/4 inch or so in get new cables), poor connections, worn brushes, or a shorted winding in the starter.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Clean your cable ends and posts.
I converted my 52 cockshutt 40 to 12 volts and from pos ground to neg. the winding and design of starter determines rotation. The windings in a 6 volt starter are heavier than 12 volt starters due to the amperage demand. Lower volts equals higher amps.
When i converted mine i spoke with a well respected rebuilder and he said there was nothing to worry about.

Haylough

Equipment
L3410
Oct 29, 2016
Rogers, Mn. USA
Yes, the ground cable was green for quite a ways, I'm going to replace both cables to start. I'm away from tractor for couple of weeks so cant post pics of alt and starter. Thx

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
We converted a Farmall H to 12 volt in the 80's. Same starter and it's still going strong. From your post, it sounds like it's the cables to me. Small world. I live in St Michael.