Shortening Hydraulic Cylinder

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The closed length of the cylinder would be too long to fit in the grapple. I'm assuming your asking why I didn't just limit the stroke of the cylinder?
Yep you got it,, hmmm I guess I need a visual to understand, but hey you got it figured out so its all good :D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Many years ago (like 30) I had to get a hook welded on my dads tractor that I broke because I was an idiot. Looked in the phone book. Found a place near by. Rusty sign out front, down a dirt road, old arm house, red barn with a sign "SHOP' on it. Went inside. Typical welders/machinist shop. That dusty, burnt gray color and scent. I asked the guy if could weld the hook on. 'Sure, five bucks'. Deal. When it was done, I talked to him about metal and stuff, at the time, I was, heavily involved in motorsports. He told me he was a 'master TIG' welder and worked for NASA. Sure, I thought, this guy works for NASA. He asked me if I wanted to see some of his work. Yupper! He led me into the back through a door. Suddenly I was in a bright hallway and looking in to a clean room, one of those places you enter being in a rubber suit connected to a wall. Ultra sterile. On the table was the 'cube' that looked like a oil refinery except it was about one fot by one foot by one foot and not a thousand feet. Tiny little pipes snaking about. All Ti. He told me it took close to a year of 40 hour weeks to weld up (the parts were precut and bent elsewhere). It was amazing. In a million years, I'd of never gussed that shop was there and that the guy was so good.
A pal did these welds on a bike Ti pipe for me, installing the bung for an O2 sensor. I cannot weld one bit. I stink.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yooper, that's a good idea of putting the anit-seize in the groove.

I appreciate you taking the time to document your work. I know it's easy to lose focus and either miss a fabrication point or neglect the photo! Your pictures are educating. Thanks again.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Yooper, that's a good idea of putting the anit-seize in the groove.

I appreciate you taking the time to document your work. I know it's easy to lose focus and either miss a fabrication point or neglect the photo! Your pictures are educating. Thanks again.
Thanks D2Cat! I thought if I posted it in my wood grapple build it would get buried. I know you read the same post I did about the member struggling to get one of these cylinders apart. Did he succeed?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think he got it, finally. But describing the parts and how they are assembled is often very difficult to be seen by someone who has not seen it before. Your pictures should be a reference to those needing the information.

Cylinders are not as difficult as they are often made out to be, once you been in one.

I have made the retainer ring like you used by buying the correct size key stock and rolling it around an appropriate piece if PVC pipe being held in the vise, and bend an ear on the end. I had to look pretty hard to find the length of key stock long enough!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I think he got it, finally. But describing the parts and how they are assembled is often very difficult to be seen by someone who has not seen it before. Your pictures should be a reference to those needing the information.

Cylinders are not as difficult as they are often made out to be, once you been in one.

I have made the retainer ring like you used by buying the correct size key stock and rolling it around an appropriate piece if PVC pipe being held in the vise, and bend an ear on the end. I had to look pretty hard to find the length of key stock long enough!
That's a good tip to put in the memory bank! McMaster has the key stock.