Heat?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Curious as to how you heat your abode? Not you garage or your tractor, your house.

To start off I heat with a propane central furnace 2 500 gallon propane bottles that I fill in the summer and 2 last the entire heating season with some help...

and that help is... A bio fuel stove that burns any bio mass fuel. That includes processed wood pellets, cherry pits, soybeans, shelled corn, pelleted switch grass or any pelleted fuel for that matter.

This year I'm running on shelled corn because I get it for free but in the past, it's mostly been pelleted wood by products and soybeans.

How about you?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Propane... 4 125 gallon tanks filled once a month. We have a 2 story home and each floor has its own air handler. Heat comes from a 92% efficient gas boiler, and the hot water is piped to each of the air handlers. Domestic hot water is supplied by the same boiler, using a heat exchanger and a 40 gallon storage tank. Our heating costs are down from when we had a hot air oil fired heater, and a 90 gallon oil fired water heater. That water heater is extremely efficient, but the deal we made was to get rid of all oil appliances. The propane company gave us a $1000 credit toward the propane usage. Presently paying about $1.40 per gallon. House is a lot more comfortable with the propane than it was with oil. I am using up the last 70 gallons of the home heating oil in my Kubota and my 4 cylinder Lister Petter Generator. After it is all gone, I will need to start buying diesel fuel.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
wood boiler w/ electric base boards under all windows..... so I cut wood from my own lot which costs me my labor and about $60/mth for electric heat/lights/tv's/etc.... This includes heating a large in ground pool to 92f most of the year as well and house is medium to larger than most. Pool takes more than half of this cost. We live in central Canada which is colder than the coasts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
100% wood pellets in the house, propane in the shop that's attached and open to the house, it buffers the on and off of the pellet stove. :D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Natural gas. Standard forced air system. When I build my next place I'll need to move to propane. Planning on pex in floor heating and ductless ac..I want a fireplace but I'm not sure if it makes sense.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Natural gas at home, wood insert fireplace with electric heaters as backup at the cabin.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Oftentimes I wish we had NG here at the farm but we don't and most likely never will. Not economically profitable to run a pipe down the road to service just a couple homes.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A fireplace is a net heat loss, not gain. Look nice and feel good but the heat really goes up the stack. Why I like the biomass stove. You get the fire with no heat loss. Mine is 85% efficient. Cats and pups love it. Always 'parked' nearby.:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh, Yea the new house will be Hydronic floor heated, including the garage.
Propane instant boiler powered. ;)
Still will have the pellet stove for a boost if and when needed.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Traditional fireplaces are a net loss if you go with a sealed unit they aren't that bad.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
100% wood pellets in the house, propane in the shop that's attached and open to the house, it buffers the on and off of the pellet stove. :D
What brand of stove Wolfman? I have an older USSC 6039 as in 13 years old. been trouble free except consumables of course.

Hardwood pellets here are about $215 a ton in skid quantity. I bought a ton this year which is more than I need. I mix 3 parts corn to one part pellets. or 150 pounds of corn to 50 pounds of pellets. I mix them in plastic garbage cans, 4 cans at a time on a pallet and tractor them to the back deck where I can access them easily. I go about a month on 4 garbage cans depending on the severity of the weather. Corn comes out of the grain tank next to the barn. Have 1000 bushels in it.

I've roasted countless tons of biomass pellets and corn in mine. Running right now. It's on a remote thermostat in the kitchen, right next to the central furnace thermostat.

Run mine in conjunction with the propane furnace (Plus 90 condensing, Bryant). I let the pellet stove make up the difference in heat loss. Right now it's pretty warm outside (just below freezing) so the pellet stove is idling (low fire) and the central furnace isn't running at all. Like to have a newer unit with cal rod ignition but I don't so it runs (low fire) until the 'stat calls for heat, then it ramps up to the set point I have it at.

I can control all the burn aspects from induced draft rate to pounds per hour burned as well as the room fan speed. Usually, I run at 2.5 pounds per hour with minimum draft. Corn burns really hot, much hotter than wood pellets and the dryer it is, the hotter it burns. The corn I'm burning presently is about 10%RM which is really dry compared to off the field corn which is usually 15%.

Only drawback is I have to clean it out every couple days but I use a shop vac with a drywall bag and it takes about 5 minutes but I have to start it up every time and I 'shovel' the ash into the ash pan before I vacuum it.

When it gets colder out or windy and cold, the central furnace will come on, raise the ambient house temp up just over the set point on the pellet stove thermostat and kick it back to low fire and the cycle repeats itself over and over. That way, the basement stays warm enough, the pipes don't freeze and my propane consumption stays manageable.

Hardest part is getting them to work in harmony.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The plan was to replace the fireplace with a modern computer controlled pellet stove 3 years ago, but that (and most other things) got squashed when we had to become caregivers for the wife's folks.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Oh, Yea the new house will be Hydronic floor heated, including the garage.
Propane instant boiler powered. ;)
Still will have the pellet stove for a boost if and when needed.
Have that in my shop, in the floor (slab). In floor Oxygen barrier PEX with a distribution manifold and in floor sensing thermostat. I keep the shop floor at 72 (f) all winter long. The slab is 10" thick in the machine tool area and 6" in the other shop where I keep my motorcycle collection.

One circulator pump runs the entire system with a 30 gallon propane hot water heater supplying the heat load. When the water heater craps out, I'll go tankless too, if it ever does that is. I run Cryotek in the PEX. it's good for -50 freeze point. Just in case. Takes just about 400 gallons to heat the entire shop all winter. Trick for me at least is starting the heat cycle before winter sets in and the ground temp is still high. Keeping the slab warm when it's already warm is a lot less costly than heating a cold slab up. learned that the hard way.

Nothing better than a warm floor to work on. Warm feet equals comfort and laying on the floor to do anything is nice too. You'll like it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The plan was to replace the fireplace with a modern computer controlled pellet stove 3 years ago, but that (and most other things) got squashed when we had to become caregivers for the wife's folks.
They are hard to beat. Initial cost is pretty high but return on investment is pretty quick, especially if NG isn't available like it isn't here. if it was, I'd be on NG in a second.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Oil boiler. Would prefer gas but no distribution line (unless I pay for it). Most folks in our area have electric baseboards but all my neighbors use wood. It's cheap here and electricity is not. Lots of smoke in our woke area.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a Vogelzang VG5790 @ 65,000 BTU, I bought the model for the new house, it will heat 2200 sf.
It works too good in our 1300 sf place right now.
We can only run it at #1 for about 1/4 of the day because the temps are just too warm this winter.
Normal winter we have it running about #2 24/7, and it will keep up with our place, it's horribly insulated!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
House is NG forced air, furnace is 32 years old, still 95% eff. I was going to replace this year but why ?!
If I was to live longer, I'd go GeoThermal.Overall a cleaner, better system. They were too much $$ 3 decdes ago...a lot cheaper now.

I'd burn wood( it's free ,just needs splitting) but insurance is $$$$. I installed gas fireplace, 2 yrs ago paid for itself as insurance did NOT not up, no 'riders'.

Last edited:

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Propane forced air furnace supplemented by a small Lopi woodstove which we had installed August of 2019. We try to keep the woodstove going to use less propane. So far, so good. Filled the propane tank in April and have used less than 5% of our 500 gallon tank. So I guess our propane furnace is really supplementing our woodstove. Love that wood heat!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Natural Gas forced air house and garage.
The house furnace is new 97% efficient this year set at 70* 24/7 we seem warmer at 70* then the previous furnace set @ 72*

The garage furnace 40* unless working in workshop will turn it up