B2650, wheel spacers and tire chains on turf tires

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Did a search, couldn't find what I was looking for.

What width spacers are needed to clear chains on the rear? I want to say 2" but would rather be positive before spending the money.

sent from a field

Toneloc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2013 - BX25D
Apr 7, 2016
Northwest PA
I don't think you will need wheel spacers to clear chains as long as they are tight.

I just put 2.0" spacer on my BX series and there is a ton of room now.

Chains fit on the BX though without the spacers.

Just need them to be tight....

If your tires aren't loaded, you might find it's easier to put the chains on by pulling your rear wheels off.

Let the air out of the tires completely, put the chains on as tight as you can, then air them up and put spring or oring tighteners on.

You could always buy the chains, and see how they fit first, then buy spacers.

For the BX series, the 2.0" spacers seem great for adding stability against roll over.....so not discouraging you from buying spacers....but if money is an issue, this is one option.

I bought the spacers for more for stability...it was just an added benefit that it made it easier to put the chains on.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I've got a set of chains for my 2650 but I havent gotten the time to even start thinking about installing them for the first time.

I had the kubota OEM spacers installed on mine before I took delivery for stability reasons. Personally, I rather stick with kubota engineering and keep my warranty intact.

The spacers were 1 and 5/8" if memory serves me correct. I dont think (hope) there will be any fitment issues. Looks to be a ton of room. Here's a few shots.

Attachments

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Most definitely need spacers to clear chains on 2650. There is 1" of clearance now between sidewall and fender. 1" spacers would probably be sufficient, may do 2" just to be safe.

That's assuming I get hung up. So far haven't had the need.

sent from a field

kupitz

Equipment
BX2660 with LA243 FEL and Front mount BX2750 snowblower/2763A heated Curtis cab.
Mar 28, 2016
New Providence, PA
If you have a MMM be careful, you space them out too far then you have a fitment issue with the deck wheels.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I don't need them for stability. Just to clear chains if the need arises.

sent from a field

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The 1 5/8 kubota spacers I have on mine are for chains if I need them, but they are not compatible with the smaller mid mount mower, and the salesman said I'd have to take them off in the summer if I wanted to mow. He was not sure about the big deck, but wouldn't guarantee it would work. Seems like I read that one was driveover which might create a different set of problems.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I'm not seeing any interference between the deck and the tires if they move out 2". Perhaps it's because I don't have the deck on right now and can't envision it.

sent from a field

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
It didn't look to me like the additional width(1 5/8) would interfere with the anti scalp rollers on back of my 60"mmm. I would want to have some fender flares made if I decide to use them..these tires fling snow and water!! I need a couple of good snows before I make a decision on chains and spacers..our first and only snow was a 6+ inch wet snow and the turf tires worked fine as it was..time will tell

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Ive done well so far. The foot of what started out as powder, turned to wet snow I had no issues with. Even widening the drive by pushing the windrows back wasn't an issue.

But I have a set of chains I bought for the tractor I had previous and with some minor modifications, I can put them to use considering they cost darn near $400. And if this trend continues this year, I'm going to have to start moving and piling.

I think my first step is going to be to load the rears. I have access to propylene glycol, just need to get it home.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I've got a set of chains for my 2650 but I havent gotten the time to even start thinking about installing them for the first time.

I had the kubota OEM spacers installed on mine before I took delivery for stability reasons. Personally, I rather stick with kubota engineering and keep my warranty intact.

The spacers were 1 and 5/8" if memory serves me correct. I dont think (hope) there will be any fitment issues. Looks to be a ton of room. Here's a few shots.
Thanks for the pics. Looks like you may have a cab.

The clearance issues on mine would be between the sidewall and the inner fender. Right now there is just a hair under 1" of clearance.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
Thanks for the pics. Looks like you may have a cab.

The clearance issues on mine would be between the sidewall and the inner fender. Right now there is just a hair under 1" of clearance.
Mine looks like about 3/4" to inner fender with the turf tires. Another area that could be tight, with or without spacers, is the front part of fender. If the chains have any whip effect at all, it looks like they will make contact with this part of fender too.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
So 1970cs (Pat, parts guy at my local dealer) says the MMM is not compatible with the Kubota spacers and they run $299.

Loaded the rear tires tonight with 25 gallons per side of water/propylene glycol. Well see how that goes with the 5" were supposed to get tonite.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
So after some hemming.....

Then a little bit of hawing and measuring....

I went with the 1.5" bora spacers.

I have chains from a previous tractor that are brand new so Ill modify them to fit. Fortunately when I bought them, I went with 2 link spacing so all I need to do is make them longer for the increased diameter and make them 4 link spaced.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
So 1970cs (Pat, parts guy at my local dealer) says the MMM is not compatible with the Kubota spacers and they run $299.

Loaded the rear tires tonight with 25 gallons per side of water/propylene glycol. Well see how that goes with the 5" were supposed to get tonite.
Eipo. Just wondering why the dealer said that spacers wouldnt work for the 60" mmm. I could see it being a problem with the 72" deck with the way the rear bogey wheels are set up.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Eipo. Just wondering why the dealer said that spacers wouldnt work for the 60" mmm. I could see it being a problem with the 72" deck with the way the rear bogey wheels are set up.
Not sure. It's probably listed in their book that way. And possibly the same reason the deck comes with extra spacers for if one is running turf tires that I didn't need to use.

sent from a field

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Eipo, so how did you make out today with your turfs? So far I have had no troubles with my combination (loaded turfs, spacers, and chains in front). Occasionally there is a little loss of steering and I have to back up and try again. This is usually in some situation like turning while going up hill. I am hoping chains on the rear will not be necessary ($400 :eek:).

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Eipo, so how did you make out today with your turfs? So far I have had no troubles with my combination (loaded turfs, spacers, and chains in front). Occasionally there is a little loss of steering and I have to back up and try again. This is usually in some situation like turning while going up hill. I am hoping chains on the rear will not be necessary ($400 :eek:).
Well, so far I haven't had any issues. But I also know how to build a ramp which is what I do with the snow so I can pile it up with the rear blade. So far I have piles taller than me sitting on the tractor.

I did just add 25 gallons into each rear tire.

I run high range when doing the straighaway part of my driveway to get the snow to roll off the top of the blade, no problems but its not icy. I am starting to get enough windrowed where chains are going to be needed if this trend continues.

You can get 4 link spaced chains for much less than $400 here I bought 2 link spaced chains for my old tractor which will now allow me to convert them over to 4 link and extend the side chains. I could also order more cross chains and keep them 2 link... I may do that. I do have a tire chain tool en route....

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Oh... one thing for your situation.. You'll notice a marked improvement in rear traction if you hang something off the back. The rears being loaded helps, but the snow blower sticks out so far that you should offset that some by taking advantage of some rear leverage. That rear blade of yours would be perfect, for 2 reasons...

Ballast, and you can use it to pull snow away from doors and walls, then back up and hit it with the blower.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Do you have the back blade turned around backwards to make ramps? I have only ever dropped the pile off the blade and then come around in a circle and picked up the pile and put it on the mountain top with the fel. Some locations the circle brings up a new small pile at the same time the fel is scooping. Not hugely efficient. The year before last the snow mountain in the back yard took til April to melt.

One of the forecasters in Grand Rapids mentioned in passing that we mignt get 60o and rain around or after Xmas. That'll make a mess but a freezing rain between Xmas and New Years is sort of traditional.