Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tractor Operating

Tractor Operating Wondering what that strange lever does, how to safely hill climb or get into 4WD? Discover and share how to get the most out of your tractor.

Old 6 Days Ago   #31
BigG
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Default Re: Driving my 2650 up and down slopes

I think I would take the rear tires off and flip them backwards so that I could back up that hill easier. I do not know if it would work but I might try it once just to see.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 6 Days Ago   #32
troverman
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2019 L2501 HST, 2018 MX4800 HST, 2013 B2920 HST (Traded), 2002 L4310 GST (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
Trover - Yikes indeed!

My slopes are steep, but short. Yours almost looks like some dams I've seen.

I'm afraid of heights. Your picture gave me the heeby-jeebies.

It is actually a dam. I mow three dams like this one, which is probably the steepest but not the largest.

I also do a capped landfill which actually has one sloped section steeper than this, but not as high. I know it's steeper because the tractor can't quite make it up all the way in some spots!

I've been mowing these for 5 years now. The first time through I was pretty terrified as well; now it doesn't bother me in the least. Just like the pilot of an aircraft, I run through a checklist of "what to do" if the tractor slides, a wheel lifts, etc. That way I can react instantly and prevent a major problem.

NIW - life insurance is paid! But I think with caution this type of mowing is safe. Ag tires are better than R4's, I will say that.
troverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #33
JohnDB
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M4500DT

Troverman - I'm assuming that at some stage you'll be crossing slopes - but not the really steep ones - rather than going up or down. If in that situation, and if you get a sense that the uphill wheel getting light, do you prefer to turn uphill or down? (Theres conflicting advice on government safety websites and other places about which way to turn when you are slowly crossing a slope and you decide you'd rather not).

+1 on removing the FEL for steep work.
JohnDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #34
troverman
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2019 L2501 HST, 2018 MX4800 HST, 2013 B2920 HST (Traded), 2002 L4310 GST (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDB View Post
Troverman - I'm assuming that at some stage you'll be crossing slopes - but not the really steep ones - rather than going up or down. If in that situation, and if you get a sense that the uphill wheel getting light, do you prefer to turn uphill or down? (Theres conflicting advice on government safety websites and other places about which way to turn when you are slowly crossing a slope and you decide you'd rather not).

+1 on removing the FEL for steep work.
If you are on a sidehill parallel to the slope and feel a rollover is imminent, you need to turn *downhill* immediately. Turning uphill intuitively feels better, but it will result in expediting the rollover.

There are times I do turn uphill, but not when I feel a rollover is about to happen. The key to sidehill safety is to operate slowly, keep your mower down. If you need to lift your mower, only lift it a few inches, not fully like you might normally do. I actually prefer to keep the loader ON for sidehill operation. The bucket is wider than the front wheel track, and I keep it only a few inches off the ground. I can quickly put it on the ground to help stabilize the tractor if it were to start to tip. The loader weight also offsets the mower weight, making it less likely for the rear of the tractor to slide downhill.

I do have to mow about 30 acres, all on sidehills of varying steepness. Never had an incident yet, but a couple of times been close.
troverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #35
JohnDB
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M4500DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
If you are on a sidehill parallel to the slope and feel a rollover is imminent, you need to turn *downhill* immediately. Turning uphill intuitively feels better, but it will result in expediting the rollover.
What you say lines up with what an experienced local told me too. When it starts feeling hairy he stamps on the downhill indepent brake and winds on the lock to turn downhill as quick as he can. With an oscillating front axle the greatest roll danger is usually when the tractor is pointing slightly downhill... this might be what you feel intuitively... gotta get through that danger zone as fast as possible before it topples. He agrees turning uphill is more dangerous, as you say "expediting the rollover".

Quote:
.... I actually prefer to keep the loader ON for sidehill operation. The bucket is wider than the front wheel track, and I keep it only a few inches off the ground. I can quickly put it on the ground to help stabilize the tractor if it were to start to tip.
I hadn't thought of that aspect. On my machine the bucket is narrower and not much help for stabilising, so I take the FEL off because on steeper side slopes it's C of G is always downhill of the roll axis even when carried low.

Quote:
I do have to mow about 30 acres, all on sidehills of varying steepness. Never had an incident yet, but a couple of times been close.
Great wisdom and experience on this forum -thanks for answering and sharing.
JohnDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #36
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Quote:
If you are on a sidehill parallel to the slope and feel a rollover is imminent, you need to turn *downhill* immediately.
100% agree, it "steals or redirects" the force that was trying to roll it over in the first place.