Dissecting Part #'s for Engine Block heaters

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
To avoid hijacking my own install thread I pulled out from it this research into part #'s. While it is mostly about searching for parts to fit into push in freeze plug heaters... there is some relevance to the screw in types (share many parts)

For the older L and others models with a NON THREADED 32mm freeze plug on the Kubota engine. A 32mm freeze plug insert with 3/4 FNPT threads for a block heater is available we can potentially use to make our own heater unit via press in bushing w/threads inside it to insert a screw in heating element (Tisco Part #11461B)

ge361_16.jpg

https://tiscoparts.com/part-categories/engine/external/heater/ge11461b.html

GE360 is part# for the heating element portion appears this same part is used on some kubota's as ithe element that fits inside a screw in bushing.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Re: Block heater install (Freeze Plug type)

Who is Tisco?? This apparently is a middle man that sells only to tractor dealers. I suspect they also sell too KATs and Zero Start or they sell to Tisco orrr... maybe their the manufactur of the parts...... not sure.

. Their whole unit has near identical part number as KATs 11461 recommended on this board for older L's and few others. It is $20 more expensive than KAT's. (Tisco GE11461 -vs- KAT's 11461) Found from 61 bucks to 71 bucks in several places on the net for the Tisco brand. BUTTT... some ad's said 35mm.... and others said 32mm so look close.

. Just the bushing (Tisco's name for the part that is pushed into the block) is Tisco #11461B and found it from 7 bucks to 20 bucks. But again same issue. Some said 35mm while others said 32mm. I suspect it is tapered and will work for a range of 32mm to 35mm, maybe even 30mm-35mm; but don't quote me.

... This is the ONLY press in bushing with inside threads for freeze plugs have found. It is tapered and am beginning to think its taper allows it to be used for ports ranging from 30mm to 35mm. Again though this is only a guess based on not finding other bushings yet there are kits sold thru the above whole range of sizes with a bushing as part of the kit.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Re: Block heater install (Freeze Plug type)

Hi coachgeo, I too am working on getting a block heater installed. The one I ordered finally came in andc is sitting on my work bench. I read where you said that your plug hole is 32mm. Kubota has one that is 32mm. Thought it might help ya out.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=159073

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That is same unit as KATs and Tisco. That is the 11461b bushing with the smallest of the heating elements. Infact that looks exactly like the Tisco heating element. Tisco uses same part #'s. " 70000-00297 " Which Messiks says replaces the 70000-92500, 70000-17551 and the Tisco list says the 11461 replaces the 70000 9250

Price range is near exact for Tisco as well.

Here is Tisco Description for bushing 11461B

HEATER BUSHING GE11461B
Adapter, 3/4" FNPT, 1-1/4" bushing, 32 mm OD. Use with GE11461 & 70000-92500.

Again; interestingly Tisco catalog linked below says the heater unit 11461 now replaces 70000 92500

Searching below catalogs see that each sells a screw in engine heater that is a 1" NPT or 3/4" NPT. Do many engines no longer have freeze plugs and just have an NPT port for auxiliary items installed on the block or head? could be combination I guess. the screw in port recommended for use as engine heater port being on a head where others are on block as freeze plug replacement. Makes since if that is the case because of how some engine thermostats are bypass types and others are stop flow type thus in some engines the engine heater needs to be in the head while others it is best in the block.

Can't fathom a screw in freeze plug... it would not pop out due to freeze expansion unless center of screw in unit pops out.

for references Parts catalogs for engine heaters

Visit http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/guides (Five Star owns KAT's?)
choose [ Kats Catalog & Application Guide ] for the most recent years info. Scroll thru it past vehicles to Agricultural then Kubota. It will list same part #'s as Tisco according to tractor engine series (L, M, B etc.) except it list seperatly a catagory with no engine type. Instead.. it is.... follow me here
70000 95200 and shows the 11461 for the frost plug. So it appears their chart columns did not fit this little beast # system so they plug it in however they could. In reality the "press fit" bushing is the 11461B bushing part and the 70000 95200 is/was the heating element that screwed into the bushing? Yet below Tisco catalog now states the GE11461 complete setup now replaces the 70000 95200 complete set up.

Interestingly if you search further you find another portion of the catalog for Industrial Equipment. Find Kubota. Now it list by Kubota engines. and different part #'s No list for D1100 or D1101 Kubota Engines. Interesting.

Here is ZERO START appliciation guide http://phillipsandtemro.com/catalog/index.asp
choose [ "Year" Zerostart Application Guide and Product Catalog (PDF) ] from the list

Here is Tisco
https://tiscoparts.com/part-categories/engine/external/heater.html?limit=25&mode=list&p=1

Last edited: