Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I think a lot of you guys are making this more difficult than it needs to be. Just use your head. If you need to get your tractor to downtown Manhattan, trailer it. If you just need to get around in some non-congested areas, drive it. Make sure to use whatever lighting and flashers you have. I keep my tractor at my shop all summer, and in the winter it comes home which is about 1.5 miles away...but part of it is down a state road (granted 30mph limit in this area). I simply put on my four ways, turned on my headlights, and drove as fast as I could, on the side of the road, to my road. It was at night - and a NH State Trooper went past me going the other way. He didn't even give me a second glance. You can put a license plate on a tractor in NH, but I don't have one.

A couple of other things to note - if you have to make turns from one road to another, like I did (4 turns for me), most modern tractors have turn signals. Pull as close to the center line as you can and use your signal. Finally, with lighting, be careful. My Grand L cab tractor has work lights front and rear. The rear lights are stock and not very bright, and aimed downward, so I used them. This won't disturb a driver behind me. However, the front work lights I converted over to HID bulbs with ballasts, and they are tremendously bright. Excellent for working in a field at night, but terribly blinding to look at. I kept these shut off for the safety of other drivers, and just ran standard headlights.

As far as auxiliary lighting mounted on the ROPs, just keep in mind at night it could be blinding to other drivers and cause an accident On the other hand, some Kubotas have terrible headlights (BX and standard B series) which are about as bright as a Craftsman riding lawn mower...a little extra lighting, aimed down, would be beneficial.

One last important safety note: wear your seat belt on the road. If you were to be hit, you'd like fly off the tractor and could be run over by another car or your own tractor, let alone suffer injuries from impact.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
GP Outdoors has a youtube video, granted he is in Canada, about insurance.

He provides a good basis to use when looking into insurance, if nothing else.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I agree with Troverman, we’re making this more complicated than it needs to be and I’m sure the laws very by state, not to mention by country.
Like he said, use your head and follow the rules of the road. There’s tractors on the road around here all the time, big and small.

Also, I’m not sure why anyone would be apposed to asking a state trooper what he thinks the laws are in Illinois, he is potentially the one that’s going to pull you over... actually I know three troopers, I’ll ask all for them to see if their interpretations of the law differ.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have to agree with those who said use your head and don't complicate it.

The thread title leaves a lot of room for variances. Public roads...well, are we talking interstates, or gravel county roads?

I take my tractor up the county (gravel) road a few times a month at least one mile. I pass the county sheriff detective's house each time. He's even asked me to do various jobs for him. I have a SMV sign on the back. I don't even use my flashers. Seldom do I meet a car coming or going.

I also take my 40 HP trencher up the same road at about 5 MPH. No SMV sign, no flashing lights, no headlights.....just a plain piece of equipment. Easier to road it 1/2 mile then load it.

A lot of this has to do with the neighborhood.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
re:
... 5 cops will give you 5 different answers.

and the JUDGE will tell you the 6th, CORRECT answer.......

BTW I challenge anyone to find laws regarding 'small, utility/boat trailer' requirements in Ontario. Simple things like 'Are trailer tires(ST) required by LAW ?' I asked MTO here and his 1st comment was 'I hope not, my trailer doesn't have them' !!
Not always, that is why we have appeal courts, to determine if the judge in the case made the correct call. Then if they said that he did, and you decide to challenge that again, there is the Supreme Court of the State, which you would think would get it right, but not always, so then it starts up the line of Federal courts. Not saying that this is the case, but it did happen in Texas over the arrest of a person in violation of the seat belt law, which went all the way to the United States Supreme Court. The US Supreme Court determined that you could be arrested for violation of the seat belt law. Unfortunately, they never challenged the legality of the seat belt law itself, because if they had, using seat belts might be discretionary, not mandatory. As a side note, the only state that I know that an adult has a choice to wear a seat belt or not, is New Hampshire. They follow the Federal law that says it is only mandatory for a person under age 18 that must use a seat belt.