Broken Oil Drain Plug

dlm

Equipment
B7100HST FEL B670
Jan 18, 2012
USA
I screwed up. Go easy on me. Instead of loosening the oil drain plug I over-tightened it to the point where it broke. There were a couple of snapping sounds. Now the bolt head just spins whichever way it’s turned. A slow oil leak has developed around the plug.

I’m planning to try and drill it out with a small drill bit so that I can insert an EZ out style extractor. Never used one before, but hoping I can get the broken bolt out and the oil pan thread is still good enough for a new bolt.

Let me know if you have any other tips to help me fix my mistake.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You probably just stripped the threads. All is not lost. If it spins relatively easily, snap on a set of vice grips and gently pull while spinning counter clockwise. Be ready with a catch pan!
Then you can inspect the threads. If the plug threads are more chewed up then you can use a thread chaser on the pan to clean those threads up. Get a new plug and you're good. It only takes 15- 18 lb ft torque to snug the plug up. Don't go more or you'll bugger up the threads you just fixed.
20240409_171843.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I screwed up. Go easy on me. Instead of loosening the oil drain plug I over-tightened it to the point where it broke. There were a couple of snapping sounds. Now the bolt head just spins whichever way it’s turned. A slow oil leak has developed around the plug.

I’m planning to try and drill it out with a small drill bit so that I can insert an EZ out style extractor. Never used one before, but hoping I can get the broken bolt out and the oil pan thread is still good enough for a new bolt.

Do NOT even THINK about using an EZ out.....ever,..... on ANYTHING!
They are an option for only a VERY competent mechanic!
In any bolt, if you break off an EZ out, you will have MUCH bigger problems.
In any current or future problems, TRY to forget that you ever even heard the term....EZ out!
Post #2 is your logical solution to your current problem.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Do NOT even THINK about using an EZ out.....ever,..... on ANYTHING!
They are an option for only a VERY competent mechanic!
In any bolt, if you break off an EZ out, you will have MUCH bigger problems.
In any current or future problems, TRY to forget that you ever even heard the term....EZ out!
Post #2 is your logical solution to your current problem.
You sure got out of bed on the wrong side! My advise to you is don't ever use an ignition key unless you a competent, nimble fingered operator!!!!! You'll screw up something or lose it.

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And the inverse of the stripped plug threads is the pan is stripped, there are several ways to go about fixing it.
The best is to pull the pan and have the threads replaced.
There are repair plugs, but I'm not a fan of those plugs.

FYI: An ez out is not going to help you one bit in this scenario.
Follow @The Evil Twin advice on how to remove it.

Reactions: 6 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Evil twin is shooting you straight. Afterwards, cut the handles off your wrenches so just long enough to get your thumb and index finger on it.😉. Then go buy a torque wrench. I got my first torque wrench for Christmas same year I did something similar to my dad’s truck…oops.🤪 🥃

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You sure got out of bed on the wrong side! My advise to you is don't ever use an ignition key unless you a competent, nimble fingered operator!!!!! You'll screw up something or lose it.
YOU have obviously NEVER broken off an EZ out, or known anyone who has!
In the hands of the inexperienced, an EZ out is simply a disaster about to happen!

PS. My current car has push button start,.....so I think I am safe.. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: My current car has push button start,.....so I think I am safe.

except from thieves unless you spent $20 to prevent it from being stolen and driven away.....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: My current car has push button start,.....so I think I am safe.

except from thieves unless you spent $20 to prevent it from being stolen and driven away.....
We don't have may thieves in this part of Florida.
Our sheriff, Grady Judd, shoots thieves! ;)

• Love

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

YOu’ve not broken the plug…you’ve stripped the pan-threads. Wolf is correct.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Once the plug is removed and threads corrected always use a fresh crush washer and as others have said don't overtighten.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
As stated, an "Easy out" will not help in your situation.

I do advise you do to try to use one though at some point in life.

The only way you will learn why you should not use an "Easy out" is to break one off in a very expensive machine like a Rolls Royce jet engine, or inside the wing of a Gulfstream jet.

Oh, and just for "kick and giggles", try to do it in an area that is nearly inaccessible just before quitting time; On a plane that your Commanding Officer has said "it better fly" in the morning.

That's when the cursing and tool throwing tantrums really begin; It will also mark the start of a very valuable life lesson.

I have probably broken off ....oh maybe 20 or 30 of them. (That why I curse so much probably) ;)

1712751752698.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Ez-outs from Harbor Freight are going to break.

Last edited: