B7100 Pilot Bushing Help - Grinding Gears

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have owned a geared tractor for 51 years.
It is simple.
You select a gear, and then add power, while letting the clutch out.
No shifting/changing of gears is possible, while the tractor is moving!
I get that part. But when you move the shifter into a different gear, can you tell that the gears actually engaged properly before you let the clutch out?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, the shifter has 'detents' that you should be able to feel when it's in the correct location.
The 'detents' are grooves in the shift rails that spring loaded ball bearings slide into.
If you look at a diagram of the transmission, you'll see all these parts and how they fit.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I get that part. But when you move the shifter into a different gear, can you tell that the gears actually engaged properly before you let the clutch out?
I thought that you were of similar age, to have experienced non synchromesh transmissions.....

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is a tractor, not a car, and you can't look at the transmission in a tractor like you would a transmission in a car. An example, you can't start off in third gear with a car, but you can with a tractor. Picking a gear in a tractor is like picking apples. 1st gear is equal to a small apple, 2nd gear is like a medium-sized apple, and 3rd gear is like a large apple. Now, roll those apples down an incline and the small apple will make more revelations than the large apple to go the same distance. 1st gear is slower moving the tractor, second gear is a little faster, 3rd gear is faster than 1st or 2nd, but slower than 4th gear.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
And everyone knows the consequences of eating green apples🥴 ,,,,,,even small ones.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Owning a B7100DT for a number of years I can conclusively say that you most certainly can shift gears while moving just not under any notable load. I very often will start out in 1st gear pulling the tractor out of my parking area and when I get to my road upshift to 2nd and then sometimes 3rd with no issue while cruising along. On rare occasions I will need to double clutch a bit to get into gear when starting out though this is more common when shifting high/low range than main gear. As for splitting a tractor, never a "fun' job but a B7100 is a pretty small one and not that difficult.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
While you 'can' shift a straight cut geared tranny it's NOT recommended. Every time you do and hear the mashing of gear against gear is doing damage.Do it long enough,and you'll have worn the leading edges off some gears.May take weeks ,months or years but it does happen. Now IF you get the revs right,clutch just right, with very little load ,yes you can shift without damage BUT that can take years of driving to master. PO of one of my other tractor never did,3rd gear won't stay in gear, well rounding leading edge and I don't want to but a new gear at $1500 CDN. Should replace the 'mate' as well. Since tractor isn't used in that gear, not a big deal for me.
Inside car/truck trannies there are 'sychros',Narrow, spring loaded bronze(?) gears that have special teeth and allow the gears to gently line up and then mesh.

Yeah, I suppose one man's 'fun' is another's 'misery' but when you have the right tools,equipment an d space splitting isn't that bad. Now cleaning out the 2nd septic tank......THAT isn't 'fun' !

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Our B7100 has for many years had a problem with grinding gears really hard coming in and out of gear unless you drop to really low revs. Never been able to change gear while moving. In 2016 the clutch failed and was replaced by a Kubota dealer. We use it about 10-20 hours a year, no more so I'm expecting the clutch should be OK. Dealer notes attached say they replaced clutch, bearings, seals and shaft (see photo). However, I believe the Kubota Part# is 66621-14120 BEARING DRY for the pilot bushing and don't see that on the invoice or a description saying pilot bushing. The grinding gears soon came back even with the new clutch. I've tried all the clutch adjustments from the manual and doesn't help. As mowing season fast approaches I did some research and am thinking I might have the pilot bushing issue where the bushing is gone and the hole in the flywheel (and shaft wear) will be too big for a replacement. I don't fancy splitting the tractor myself - is this too big a job to have the dealer do or is it time to retire the old B7100? Thanks in advance for the expert advice.
Based on the 10/16 date on the invoice your clutch is 7 plus years old. I would not jump to conclusions about any specific failure. Lots can hapoen in that length of time including disc wear.
If you are sure its not an external asjustment issue the only way to know whats goung on is a split and inspection. If no loader on the machine thats a pretty simple job. Loader makes it a bit of a PITA.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Wonder if they replaced the 'throwout' bearing ?
Normally I'd expect new pilot and throw bearings to be installed with new clutch. Split once, do all all same time .
Also wonder if there's proper 'free play' ?? aka clutch pedal adjustment ?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
While you 'can' shift a straight cut geared tranny it's NOT recommended. Every time you do and hear the mashing of gear against gear is doing damage.Do it long enough,and you'll have worn the leading edges off some gears.May take weeks ,months or years but it does happen. Now IF you get the revs right,clutch just right, with very little load ,yes you can shift without damage BUT that can take years of driving to master. PO of one of my other tractor never did,3rd gear won't stay in gear, well rounding leading edge and I don't want to but a new gear at $1500 CDN. Should replace the 'mate' as well. Since tractor isn't used in that gear, not a big deal for me.
Inside car/truck trannies there are 'sychros',Narrow, spring loaded bronze(?) gears that have special teeth and allow the gears to gently line up and then mesh.

Yeah, I suppose one man's 'fun' is another's 'misery' but when you have the right tools,equipment an d space splitting isn't that bad. Now cleaning out the 2nd septic tank......THAT isn't 'fun' !
I have been in a septic tank several times, but never again.
I don't plan to split another tractor either.
I am old now!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't believe that you are old! I think that you are full of sh**. LOL :ROFLMAO:
I was actually in the sh** when I cleaned out those tanks.
With hyperbaric oxygen treatments, perhaps I am getting younger now....

Have had 27 hyperbaric oxygen sessions to date.
With either 13 or 33 to go,...... depending on observed results.

Last edited:
  • Love

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
There's several better places to split your tractor than a septic tank. And while some say it's easy I don't believe them when they claim to have sh** gears.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There's several better places to split your tractor than a septic tank. And while some say it's easy I don't believe them when they claim to have sh** gears.
I believe that you have misunderstood some of the recent posts. I don't recall anyone saying that they have "sh*t" gears or to do it over the septic tank. Someone suggested using a garage with a concrete floor to keep everything clean. The type of gears that they do have are designed for strength primarily. That is the reason for straight-cut gears, they are more durable than spiral-cut gears that are used in automobile transmissions.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Shifting straight cut gears while in motion is simple -- in theory. All you have to do is match the engine rpm to the required transmission rpm for the desired gear ratio.

EG: let us say that you are rolling along in 1st gear at 2500 rpm. And let us say that if that particular vehicle was in 2nd gear at that same travel speed the engine would be spinning at 2,000 rpm. To upshift one would simply push in and hold the clutch, shift into neutral while reducing engine speed to 2,000 rpm. Momentarily releasing and pressing the clutch (aka "double clutching") will help slow the input shaft to the new speed. Complete the shift into second and ease out the clutch. Hopefully you can accomplish all this before the travel speed starts to slow down and changes the required engine rpm.

Of course that's a lot easier to accomplish if the engine speed is controlled with a foot pedal and if the vehicle has a tachometer and a speedometer for guidance.

The only sure-fire way to ensure the shaft speeds are matched in all gears is to be stopped.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Our Ford 3930 is gear drive, constant mesh gears but not synchronized. It has always been hard to shift, the dealer told Dad when he bought it that they're all like that. I tried adjusting the clutch once, but that didn't change anything so I put it back to spec. Double-clutching just seems to spin the shaft back up, idling the engine usually helps.

BTW, occasionally I can shift on the fly if I get the lucky.

jiggseob

Equipment
B6200 HST with Allied loader, Muratori 48" hyd side shift tiller
Nov 12, 2023
Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
Is power being transmitted from the flywheel to the transmission input shaft while the clutch pedal is fully pushed in? It sure sounds like it.

Yes, there are two possible scenarios for this unwanted power transmission,

1 unwanted /un-intended contact of the clutch disc to flywheel or clutch disc to pressure plate.

2 unwanted /un-intended "drag" of the transmission pilot shaft in the pilot bushing/bearing of the flywheel

From the outside, almost impossible to determine which or both, or to correct that condition(s).

I split (AND re-assembled back to working state!) my B6200 HST myself. I work as an electronics technician, my hobby is woodworking. Far from a mechanic or heavy duty technician. Mine is HST hyrdro, so some slight differences to split, but the overall task is the same.

It was not "hard", but took some time and some concrete floor space in the shop/garage. Yes, I took off my loader. You end up with A LOT of pieces. Take photos with your phone of everything you take off. Get a bunch of big zip-lok bags, and each thing you take off put in a bag with the bolts that held it on. Then you don't get the bolts mixed up or in the wrong place. If I can do it, you probably can.

Once apart, figuring out what was happening is not easy.

The splined area of the transmission input shaft where the clutch hub rides and slides could be worn, and encounter resistance sliding along the splines to disengage. Yes, the dealer should have checked for that when you paid them a bucket o' cash to replace the clutch. Tearing into that transmission to replace a worn input shaft is not going to be cheap. I have never done something like that, I have no idea how easy or hard or how many special tools or equipment is required to properly service and assemble that transmission.

If the pilot bushing/bearing is the problem, a worn input shaft and disassembly of transmission is likely.

Your best hope is that the clutch hub / splines were inadequately lubed when the clutch was replaced, the shaft splines are not worn, and simple application of hi-tack grease fixes it. The input shaft is harder steel than the clutch hub splines, so hopefully any wear is on an easily routinely replaceable part.

With the pilot bearing/bushing, if its a bearing and the inner race is secure on the shaft, the shaft will be fine. If its a bearing and the inner race is spinning on the shaft, the shaft is probably worn more than one would like, but shouldn't be a tractor killer. I've heard of situations where pilot bearing is completely forgotten / left out on assembly, and the unit operates normally for years. If its a bushing, the shaft may be slightly worn.

That the condition existed before the clutch change, and continues to exist, I suspect inadequate or dissipated lube on the input splines.

My mid-80s vintage B6200 with a couple thousand hours would bring $5~6k in this central Alberta used market. I think its worth doing the work.