starting problems with B2150

mrmcmaple

Equipment
Kubota B2150
Mar 17, 2024
Hebron CT USA
tried to start and just got clicking, so recharged battery and still the same. Replaced starter no clicking nothing, so then I replaced clutch safety switch. Nothing still...... any thoughts

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
I would check ground and hot connections. Then maybe use jumper cable direct to hot and starter just to see it turn over. Sounds like a poor connection problem.
tried to start and just got clicking, so recharged battery and still the same. Replaced starter no clicking nothing, so then I replaced clutch safety switch. Nothing still...... any thoughts
Still could be a weak battery, needs to be load tested

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Probably a good idea to find the issue rather then just keep buying parts. Agree that it sounds like a ground issue or connections. Clean them up till ya see bare metal.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are two battery cables each has two ends so four total connection points to clean up.

if the cables look old and really corroded they can be replaced but you still need to clean the connection points on the tractor.

And since you got nothing after the new battery, installation please make sure you removed all the plastic covers from the battery posts and installed the cables in the proper position.

Also there is a small wire that connects to a spade connector on the starter solenoid, be sure that it is attached and makes a good connection.

You may want to see if there is a large fuse near the battery that is blown.

Do the dash lights come on when you turn the key to run position?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Replace the battery cables !

Now assuming you tested both battery and starter before you installed them, it has to be the cables.

mrmcmaple

Equipment
Kubota B2150
Mar 17, 2024
Hebron CT USA
new battery cables, dash lights come on and headlights and tail lights work! After turning to get the glow plugs fired up the lights on dashboard dim and no action with starter at all

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
From all that it sounds like you need a new battery!

Have you tried to jump it from another vehicle?

mrmcmaple

Equipment
Kubota B2150
Mar 17, 2024
Hebron CT USA
There are two battery cables each has two ends so four total connection points to clean up.

if the cables look old and really corroded they can be replaced but you still need to clean the connection points on the tractor.

And since you got nothing after the new battery, installation please make sure you removed all the plastic covers from the battery posts and installed the cables in the proper position.

Also there is a small wire that connects to a spade connector on the starter solenoid, be sure that it is attached and makes a good connection.

You may want to see if there is a large fuse near the battery that is blown.

Do the dash lights come on when you turn the key to run position?
dash lights come on but dim while turning to start position, headlights work as well as taillight flasher

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I hope you saved your original starter as the replacements or rebuilds are not as good of quality as the O.E. starter.
With the tractor battery hooked up, there is a small wire that attaches to the starter solenoid mounted on the starter. Remove the small wire that usually is just a push-on connector. Take a jumper lead and CAREFULLY jump from the battery terminal on the solenoid to the small terminal on the solenoid. MAKE sure the tractor is in Neutral FIRST. That will tell you if the starter and or battery is any good.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am not sure what you are asking. But the starter will spin the engine if electrical power is applied directly to it and bypassing all of the safety switches.

When you jumped the tractor, where did you attach the jumper cables? If you put them on the battery terminals like normal then that sort of indicates that you have a bad battery. Try to jump it again with the good battery connected directly to the starter (bypassing the installed battery). Connect the positive jumper cable to the large stud on the starter (positive cable from the installed battery attachment point) with the negat jumper cable attached to the starter mounting bolt. Then try to use key to start and report results

I have no idea what your skill level is so don’t do this unless you’re comfortable with the directions. There are other ways to test the installed battery and starter but you will have to remove them and go to some auto parts store

mrmcmaple

Equipment
Kubota B2150
Mar 17, 2024
Hebron CT USA
I am not sure what you are asking. But the starter will spin the engine if electrical power is applied directly to it and bypassing all of the safety switches.

When you jumped the tractor, where did you attach the jumper cables? If you put them on the battery terminals like normal then that sort of indicates that you have a bad battery. Try to jump it again with the good battery connected directly to the starter (bypassing the installed battery). Connect the positive jumper cable to the large stud on the starter (positive cable from the installed battery attachment point) with the negat jumper cable attached to the starter mounting bolt. Then try to use key to start and report results

I have no idea what your skill level is so don’t do this unless you’re comfortable with the directions. There are other ways to test the installed battery and starter but you will have to remove them and go to some auto parts store
Skill level is 68 years young, been working on equipment all my life, cut 8 cords of wood to heat my home every year and trying to get this tractor fixed without having it shipped both ways to repair shop. I do appeciate all of your help and my frustration level is just high right now! I completely have rebuilt a Ford 9N 1939 vintage from ground up, but I am new to diesels.

mrmcmaple

Equipment
Kubota B2150
Mar 17, 2024
Hebron CT USA
I hope you saved your original starter as the replacements or rebuilds are not as good of quality as the O.E. starter.
With the tractor battery hooked up, there is a small wire that attaches to the starter solenoid mounted on the starter. Remove the small wire that usually is just a push-on connector. Take a jumper lead and CAREFULLY jump from the battery terminal on the solenoid to the small terminal on the solenoid. MAKE sure the tractor is in Neutral FIRST. That will tell you if the starter and or battery is any good.
Does jumper wire need to be a minimum gauge like 10 or 12 or 14?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Make 100% sure the tractor is in neutral and brakes are set.
Go to the starter and use a short piece of scrap wire (size is not that important) 14 gauge is fine, and jump from the large lug to the small spade terminal.
Does the engine crank?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Doesn’t need to be any larger wire than what is on the tractor but larger won’t hurt.

Some people do that with a screwdriver instead of a wire.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did the new starter have a white wire coming off of it?
And if it did, is that where you've hooked a wire to?

I'm really betting on this because it would 100% explain all of your recent issues!

mrmcmaple

Equipment
Kubota B2150
Mar 17, 2024
Hebron CT USA
Did the new starter have a white wire coming off of it?
And if it did, is that where you've hooked a wire to?

I'm really betting on this because it would 100% explain all of your recent issues!
Had bought new starter that had a white wire coming off of it and said damn, wrong starter, so took original too have it rebuilt. Reinstalled original starter.