Best Socket Set for MX series?

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Is it possible to have too many tools? Once you remove the fastener or component, then comes all the manufacturer's specialized tools, don't forget bearing heaters, presses, pullers, scrapers, sealants penetrants, impacts, parts washers, solvents, jacks, lifts, welders, and let's not forget all electrical equipment test equipment and all of the consumables you'll need, fuel storage, transfer pumps, waste oil disposal, the list goes on forever. It's safe to assume that if you have a tractor, you have other ancillary equipment to fix/maintain i.e. attachments, trailers, mowers, trucks, cars, house, wells, irrigation and the list goes on forever. Don't forget about your manuals, maintenance records, parts lists, spare parts. Do you ever stop buying stuff to maintain your possession's?

I am a tool junkie without a doubt. I buy tools sometimes just to have them "just in case". Tools not only allow me to complete tasks, but they also give me something to do. I can't stand to be in the house watching TV.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Wrenched for a living (cars and equipment) for years, tools not used often use Harbor Freight. IE angle wrenches. snap on sae or metric were around $4-500.
After reading your post, just for "kicks and giggles" I looked up how much a set of Snap On angle wrench's are currently.

Not surprisingly, they are G-note. ($1,016.25 to be exact)

1710502961750.png

My moms uncle (who was a retired aircraft mechanic) gave me a set of these back in 95'ish. I used them quite extensively.

Thanks Uncle Mike!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Dewalt makes some really good cordless tools. I just picked up their die grinder a month or so ago and love it. I own a ton of their cordless stuff, all 20v.
(y) DeWalt has been my go to for both electric and cordless power tools for 25 years or more. I've never been disappointed with anything from them and I have a lot of their products, even a flashlight and bluetooth sound system. I do like Metabo angle grinders though, and bought one of those M18 1/2" impacts a couple of years ago.

Generally though, DeWalt is my first choice since I've had such a good run with them and the tools have longevity. The cordless drill I replaced has brushes and maybe I'll take it apart and see if I can replace the brushes. I sprayed Hornady One Shot into the motor a few times which extended the life, but now it's basically a yellow paper weight.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
After reading your post, just for "kicks and giggles" I looked up how much a set of Snap On angle wrench's are currently.

View attachment 124283

My moms uncle (who was a retired aircraft mechanic) gave me a set of these back in 95'ish. I used them quite extensively.

Thanks Uncle Mike!!!!
I don't have many Snap-on tools, just a few. I think they are subject to the Rolex phenomena where other brands have come a long way in the last 30 years and some may surpass Snap-on and cost a lot less, but perception is everything.

I like the OTC Taiwan made stuff and have quite a lot of their kits for suspension, steering, slide hammers, bearing pullers, etc. Not professional grade but more than good enough for the home mechanic.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I can see the need for the folks working in a shop to pay a bit more for tool trucks to swing by their work and warranty any tools that may be broke. But with that said, I have never had any interest in paying the insane prices that these tool truck companies charge. I don't see the quality over several other cheaper brands. And I am a man who works my tools hard and often. I still have a large Craftsman set that I purchased over 30 years ago and have only had to warranty one ratchet out of that entire set. These days, I also favor the Taiwan made stuff.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
(y) DeWalt has been my go to for both electric and cordless power tools for 25 years or more. I've never been disappointed with anything from them and I have a lot of their products, even a flashlight and bluetooth sound system. I do like Metabo angle grinders though, and bought one of those M18 1/2" impacts a couple of years ago.

Generally though, DeWalt is my first choice since I've had such a good run with them and the tools have longevity. The cordless drill I replaced has brushes and maybe I'll take it apart and see if I can replace the brushes. I sprayed Hornady One Shot into the motor a few times which extended the life, but now it's basically a yellow paper weight.
Periodically you will see HD and other big boxes sell the 1/2” Dewalt drill with 2 batteries and a charger and carrying bag for $100. Can’t beat that deal. They always have this sale before Christmas, but also periodically throughout the year. I have the set and have bought several for gifts.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Periodically you will see HD and other big boxes sell the 1/2” Dewalt drill with 2 batteries and a charger and carrying bag for $100. Can’t beat that deal. They always have this sale before Christmas, but also periodically throughout the year. I have the set and have bought several for gifts.
I love the Christmas specials on the DeWalt cordless, especially the buy two 5 amp hour batteries and get your pick of a free tool for $200. I bought a few of those for myself the last two Christmases. I recently got two of the 5 amp Powerstack batteries and a free tool for like $249 or something crazy like that. I opted for another 1/4" driver as I use those a LOT.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't have many Snap-on tools, just a few. I think they are subject to the Rolex phenomena where other brands have come a long way in the last 30 years and some may surpass Snap-on and cost a lot less, but perception is everything.

I like the OTC Taiwan made stuff and have quite a lot of their kits for suspension, steering, slide hammers, bearing pullers, etc. Not professional grade but more than good enough for the home mechanic.

Yep, I agree, but the bulk of my tools were bought "Pre-Interweb/Amazon".

Sometimes I forget that there was a day when I basically had 2 choices: The Snap On guy and Sears (Craftsman).

Snap On was definitely (IMHO) a noticeably better tool, both quality and especially ergonomics wise, and he came to you.

Craftsman stuff had it's place, but then you have to go to the store, fight the traffic, find a clerk....blah blah blah. And the ergonomics of the Craftsman stuff kinda sucked. And while ergonomics might not be a big deal to a "shade tree' mechanic (like I am now), when I was making my living with them, it mattered.

Plus the fact that Snap On has/had a TON of specialty tools that Craftsman just didn't have. (i.e. thin or stubby wrench's, or sockets or whatever)

I have some Mac, Matco, and some S&K stuff, (I think I even have some Cornwell stuff), but most of them were hit and miss in terms of having a guy come by on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don't like the amount of " backlash" there is in the bottom part that you twist to set the torque.

The "0" mark starts when it is lined up with the 25 on the indicator and I don't have much confidence in it's accuracy from 25 to 75. I would never use it for "critical" applications like "heads" or something, but I do use it for wheel bearings, just to get me in the "ball park".

When I got it, I called them and they basically said, "yea, there's not much we can do about it, that's the way they are"

Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Oddly…. the HF 3/8” drive and 1/2” drive torque-wrenches I bought on sale for something like $11 each…. have passed calibration every year just fine, now for almost ten years. (I use a free self-calibration test-stand at a nearby auto shop….but here’s an article on how you can do this in your own shop.). https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench

I also have Thorsen, Snap-On, and MAC torque wrenches… only the Snap On is a “clicker”…the others are pointer-arcs.

Craftsman is populous in my toolboxes… with a scattering of Snap On and others…

Power tools are DeWalt and Porter-Cable….( and, lately….cough-cough .. Bauer battery-powered….which are surprisingly good.)

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I am a tech by trade. and I have my own shop at the house. Two complete sets of tools, one is a little different than the other. Believe it or not, I have more/better tooling at home than I do at work because work supplies SOME tools (specialized) but I can't borrow that stuff, so I either make my own or have to buy it to do work at home.

Out of about $160,000 worth of tools, I think there is one "set" (or what's left of a set) that I actually spend good coin on. Kobalt 1st generation wrench set. 8-19mm, and 5/16-3/4. Best wrenches Ive ever put my hands on, unfortunately no longer produced and cant find replacements. I need a 10, 12, 13, and 18mm. I finally found a 9/16 that I needed on fleabay (and I don't use that site, had to try to remember my 20 year old password and user name). Everything else is a mix of different brands. Husky, craftsman, williams, flea market finds, pawn shop finds, a few snap on inherited from my dad's collection, proto, among others. If I had to replace everything, the replacement value is around $160,000. Power tools are almost all dewalt for cordless, and mis matched pneumatic tools that I rarely use anymore. Husky impact 1/2, and a 1/2 Sunex at work. And a husky air hammer at work with some home-made hammer tips for different things (pin punch, etc). I make a lot of tools with the lathe, just got through making a couple high flow tire inflators, one for work one for home. Finding a .305-32 cutting tap was interesting.

the craftsman 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets are garbage, but they do work. Uncomfortable, they slip sometimes, and the lever sticks occasionally. i'm going to replace them with something more robust as I can.

• Love

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Seems like every job on the MX5400 requires a bigger metric socket than the last job. Looking for advice on a socket set that will have all the sizes that I'll need to do any job on this tractor. What's the smallest and largest that I'll need? I'm open to specific suggestions on brand and model as well.
I have a 50 year old set like this

Start hitting up farm, estate and garage sales if you are on a budget.

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA

View attachment 124283

Thanks Uncle Mike!!!!
Dang sure went up!