Hydraulic oil in engine oil pan? What?

Hi there. So I have this L3450DT-7 tractor I've been tinkering with for a year or so and finally have it ready to take home and start using. It had some really bad hydraulic leaks originally when I got it and those are now fixed. Yesterday I added a gallon of hydraulic oil at the fill port behind the seat knowing it was low but not knowing exactly how low, so I could drive it to the shop I'm at now. Everything was fine thinking I can now put the loader back on, button things up, get the oil levels right and take it home for good this afternoon. So it had a puddle under the oil pan when I came in this morning and oil coming from engine dipstick. Pulled the dipstick and oil starts gushing out. What the heck? How could that gallon of hydraulic oil I added above the rear axle have possibly got in the crankcase? I didn't EVEN want to try to figure this out without asking Kubota people first. Thank's.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Leaking shaft seal on the engine driven hydraulic pump. Spews hydraulic fluid right into the crankcase.

Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Bingo to what mcfarmall said !!!!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well all right then. Went out and looks pretty straight forward. Is the anything particular I should watch out for so I do it right the first time?
There are a few o-rings involved that can be replaced while you take it apart. There are also some square rings that can also be replaced. These rubber parts are all probably fine to reuse but also (probably) cheap enough to replace.

Buy a quart of the transmission fluid or use clean fluid you already have to use for lubricating the parts as you assemble them.

Clean the exterior of the pump well before you remove it from the tractor. Put something in or over the opening in the tractor that was covered by the pump. Clean the pump again before you start to disassemble the pump. Use clean disposable aluminum pans to work in and keep parts clean in. Use some clean rags and clean disposable gloves to do the work and try to keep the pump as clean and dust free as possible. Cover the pans to keep the parts fairly clean. You should know how much torque to put on the bolts since they are small and can easily be twisted off. Don’t be a gorilla or you will regret it.

Before you install the pump or before you install the top outlet fitting try to get (pour) fluid into the pump so it is wet and will be lubed when you start the tractor.

Change the engine oil and filter before you use the tractor.

It only takes a few minutes to do unless the seal you get doesn’t fit. Then days of waiting for the part can occur. Don’t be overly concerned about doing it but don’t damage the seal as you install it. There is probably some circlip involved so you may need to get a set of pliers to remove it, don’t try using just whatever you have!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Something has to be wrong for it to blow that seal!
These are not know for leaking like older models.
Did you turn the selector switch on the hydraulic block with the loader being off, or have the lines looped together.
If not that's the reason you blew the seal.

Reactions: 1 user
Something has to be wrong for it to blow that seal!
These are not know for leaking like older models.
Did you turn the selector switch on the hydraulic block with the loader being off, or have the lines looped together.
If not that's the reason you blew the seal.
Selector switch? Hydraulic block? Sorry but this is my first Kubota and learning what makes what happen. No stickers remaining and any instructions or identification on any knobs are long wore off. The only blocks I'm aware of are the block where I disconnected the loader hoses to remove the loader [which also disabled the 3 point], and it doesn't have any kind of selector and then the block and restrictor wheel under the seat. I turned it all the way left and right and put it in the middle for now. It was all the way counterclockwise when the seal blew.
Anyway, so I replaced the seal, replaced the leaking pto shaft seal and replaced one of the seals on the steering cylinder. Changed engine oil and filter, added 5 gallons universal tractor fluid at fill port behind seat. Would be nice to know where to check the full level to make sure it's properly filled but I'm not finding anything period. Dipstick, removable level fill plug or the elusive supposed sight glass i've read about. Anyway I fired it up and no hydraulic pressure. Of course with loader off and 3 point disabled the only thing left is steering and there is absolutely nothing. Am I just low on fluid or should I have prefilled something? Or is there like a bleed point? Airlock? Thanks a lot and sorry for all the questions at once. This really can't be that difficult

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't have the selector valve on the hydraulic block in the proper setting.
Hence the reason you have blown the seal and have no hydraulics as you are dead heading the system.
Operate the three point and the steering to purge air out of the system after change the selector valve to be in the Loader Removed position.

In all your fluid swapping did you change the hydraulic filter?
Might want to do that, as running it low on hydraulic fluid sucks all the junk in the sump into the filter.

Pages M.9-21 and M.9-22 in the WSM aka Service manual
Page 26 of the OPS aka operators manual

1712602509007.png

Over filling or underfilling hydraulic oil can cause all sorts of issues like blow and leaking seals.
If you have it over filled you will not be able to tell, as the whole gauge will be under fluid.

Page 43 of the OPS

1712602821885.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One more question, so the transmission and rear filler port share the same fluid and sight glass? What’s reason for 2 fill ports? I’m old school fords and masseys. 1 fill port on transmission only.
It was because different model and sizes that shared the same parts were equipped different ways, they had multiples so they can get access to one or the other port when something like a cab is installed.

The motor is the same way some have as many as three fill points.

You don't have the selector valve on the hydraulic block in the proper setting.
Hence the reason you have blown the seal and have no hydraulics as you are dead heading the system.
Operate the three point and the steering to purge air out of the system after change the selector valve to be in the Loader Removed position.

In all your fluid swapping did you change the hydraulic filter?
Might want to do that, as running it low on hydraulic fluid sucks all the junk in the sump into the filter.

Pages M.9-21 and M.9-22 in the WSM aka Service manual
Page 26 of the OPS aka operators manual

View attachment 125917

Over filling or underfilling hydraulic oil can cause all sorts of issues like blow and leaking seals.
If you have it over filled you will not be able to tell, as the whole gauge will be under fluid.

Page 43 of the OPS

View attachment 125918