Iowa is green.. Where is it orange?

Fiftyeight

Equipment
craftsman
Mar 5, 2024
North English Iowa
Ive been researching/shopping online for a tractor and I like what Ive heard about kubota's, and even some of the South Korean models.. But when I start to look what's actually available in the North English Iowa 52316 area, Ive noticed Green dominating all the dealers..

I guess that sort of locks me into what brand I need to buy?

Where does Orange dominate? I'm guessing more home owners own orange, and businesses green? Allot of used kubota's on FB..

Thanks

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
In large ag. areas green holds a pretty dominate position. (don't see much orange on large farms) So if you are in heavy Ag lots of green dealers. Green is famous for their large Ag equipment but getting more smaller stuff all the time.

Where there are a lot of smaller land owners, equestrian centers, Rural / urban mix, and homesteaders lots or orange. Lots or orange dealers as orange has a lot of small tractor offerings. Orange is famous for the smaller sized offerings but getting bigger units all the time.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ive been researching/shopping online for a tractor and I like what Ive heard about kubota's, and even some of the South Korean models.. But when I start to look what's actually available in the North English Iowa 52316 area, Ive noticed Green dominating all the dealers..

Where does Orange dominate? I'm guessing more home owners own orange, and businesses green? Allot of used kubota's on FB..

Thanks
Kubota CUTs/SCUTs are most popular with yuppies and prior city dwellers.

Kubota is making only slow progress into the large tractor market.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Kubota is making only slow progress into the large tractor market.
Thank goodness my MX and M are classified as Utility Tractors and not CUTs or SCUTs! I would hate to be lumped in with the "yuppies and prior city dwellers". 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin

What a load.
I sense some anger there.

Do yuppies have tractors and enough land to use one? Do yuppies even exist anymore? I thought a yuppie was a Young Urban Professional. A younger adult, typically with a suit, an education, a foreign car, and make stupid amounts of money. Never saw a yuppie buy or own a tractor.

And those darn prior city dwellers too! Darn tootin', they don't know a plow from a disc harrow. And they buy foreign tractors! I'll keep my Merrican' JD.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
What a load.
I sense some anger there.

Do yuppies have tractors and enough land to use one? Do yuppies even exist anymore? I thought a yuppie was a Young Urban Professional. A younger adult, typically with a suit, an education, a foreign car, and make stupid amounts of money. Never saw a yuppie buy or own a tractor.

And those darn prior city dwellers too! Darn tootin', they don't know a plow from a disc harrow. And they buy foreign tractors! I'll keep my Merrican' JD.
Your ‘merican JD made in Japan, like Kubota.

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
In large ag. areas green holds a pretty dominate position. (don't see much orange on large farms) So if you are in heavy Ag lots of green dealers. Green is famous for their large Ag equipment but getting more smaller stuff all the time.

Where there are a lot of smaller land owners, equestrian centers, Rural / urban mix, and homesteaders lots or orange. Lots or orange dealers as orange has a lot of small tractor offerings. Orange is famous for the smaller sized offerings but getting bigger units all the time.
^^^^^^
That is very much how it is in my area. Larger farms/ranches use JD equipment (especially for hay production). Smaller farms or chores it is Kubota hands down.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
^^^^^^
That is very much how it is in my area. Larger farms/ranches use JD equipment (especially for hay production). Smaller farms or chores it is Kubota hands down.
Up here it's mostly JD for the big farms and probably an even split between JD and Kubota for the home owner/hobby farmer.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

Thanks
Dealer support and parts availability is important with any new tractor or piece of motorized equipment you buy new. Regardless the brand, there are things that can only be fixed by a dealer.

That was part of my decision to buy Kubota; a couple of good Kubota dealers within 45 minute drive v all JD dealers within two hours owned by one conglomerate with whom I’d had mixed, but generally poor, experience.

In this area I see quite a lot of Kubotas used by landscapers; mowing contractors; utility work on farms where the big stuff is green, red, or blue; farms and livestock operations where tractors over about 150hp aren’t needed; and non-business landowners. At least here, the non-business landowners are all over the board on brand. The multi-thousand acre row crop farms to our east are more likely to be one color (not all green but a lot of it) with the utility tractor work handled by skid steers. Even for the big accounts, dealer support is important. If your equipment shed is a rainbow and you have to work with a half dozen dealers, that’s a mess for you and you’re a small account for all of them. If it’s all one color, it’s one phone call to a person you know and you’re a bigger account so you get bigger account service.

If all the dealers in your area are green, that’s definitely something to consider in your choice of brand.

Reactions: 1 users

Fiftyeight

Equipment
craftsman
Mar 5, 2024
North English Iowa
Thank goodness my MX and M are classified as Utility Tractors and not CUTs or SCUTs! I would hate to be lumped in with the "yuppies and prior city dwellers". 😂
Yeah, I don't think I want one now because my old boss had one and he was definitely a major yuppie.:LOL:

Seriously, thanks everyone.. But what I don't understand is why there are no titles for tractors? Makes private party transactions sketchy in my opinion.. But I don't trust the dealers much more..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The 'no titles' might be as they're not normally driven on public roads ??

as for 'green'. Historically Kubota didn't make 'big' tractors. Deere got a 'foothold' but recently a lot are NOT buying 'green' due to $$$ repairs ( aka computer krap lawsuits )

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yeah, I don't think I want one now because my old boss had one and he was definitely a major yuppie.:LOL:

Seriously, thanks everyone.. But what I don't understand is why there are no titles for tractors? Makes private party transactions sketchy in my opinion.. But I don't trust the dealers much more..
My boat isn't driven on public roads but it has a HIN and is titled along with the trailer it rides on.

If the seller can provide proof of ownership there shouldn't be a problem. If they bought it used then a Bill of Sale, or if it was/is financed, a payoff letter from Kubota, or the bank should suffice.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A “Title” doesn’t guarantee or prove ownership…any more than a Bill of Sale or Paid Invoice does…except it provides another tax/income for gov’t entities …who supposedly need large staff-operations to administer/regulate lawful use in/on public property.

Who wants to have to maintain a Title for a lawn mower….or any other tool used primarily on private land..?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A “Title” doesn’t guarantee or prove ownership…any more than a Bill of Sale or Paid Invoice does…except it provides another tax/income for gov’t entities …who supposedly need large staff-operations to administer/regulate lawful use in/on public property.

Who wants to have to maintain a Title for a lawn mower….or any other tool used primarily on private land..?
It does up here. If your name's on the title you own it regardless of what anyone else says. Title transfers up here have to be notarized.

I'm with you on all the superfluous fees that the DMV adds to the overall cost of title and registration.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It does up here. If your name's on the title you own it regardless of what anyone else says. Title transfers up here have to be notarized.

I'm with you on all the superfluous fees that the DMV adds to the overall cost of title and registration.
I’m not trying to be argumentive…. but a Bill of Sale or Paid Invoice does the same thing if it identifies the name of the buyer….without any gov’t interference.

Titles are and can be counterfeited all the time by crooks…. and can appear to be “notarized” …they must be confirmed/validated by a “Title Search” ….just like real estate or any other real property.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was told by the Ks. Highway Patrol officer who was doing vehicle inspections to leave a title "open" can be cause for a ticket, and that whoever may put their name on that open title then owns that vehicle.