Tiller, Just couldn't pass up

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Came across a Howard Ratavator (tiller) and I couldn't pass up. It's a HR 10 series and yes a little on the large size 60", no PTO shaft. (under 175 w/clutch) My research came up with 25HP min. hitting the scale at 627 lbs. Tine shaft rotates free. Looks like the chain cover been replaced. I'll take a look tomorrow. There a flange thats on the splines looks like it may have been part of some type of clutch pack, going by the loose flange behind it and there was a bolted clamp on splines, that I removed. Still not moving with puller and lot of blaster, letting it sit over night. Then dust off the heavy weight pull or try a little heat first with impact.
I thought it would be a get project for 3.
I had luck on my side. Howard-HR10_60 (1).jpg Howard-HR10_60 (2).jpg Howard-HR10_60 (3).jpg Howard-HR10_60 (4).jpg

Reactions: 2 users

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Well I finally got the slip clutch flange off. Sometimes anti-seize (IMO) would of prevented for out door equipment storage. Grease works for a time if you periodically separate parts.
It took a 20 inch cheater bar with a 8 inch puller assisted by an 8 lbs. it finally creeped off. Took all my pullers threads and a litttle beating.... Anyway here is Damage Slip Clutch-removal.jpg Where I mentioned the chain cover may have been replaced, I was wrong, Turns out someone welded on a piece of .375 steel plate around the perimeter and then took yellow off the shelf. good welding but poor prep for paint.
surprising what we see when we're wrestling with implements. Now on ordering PTO with clutch.

BonnySlope

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Those are really tough tillers!
Great find!
It is a beast, the BX could never reach it's dept. maybe in three passes. Right now, I only need to repair the skid loader tracks/trail coming out of woods and across my front lawn. Lost a very proud cedar, it was here before me moving in, in 1975.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Ive got the same tiller. Its been problem free for many years now. I put it on a jd 955 so around 30 hp and seldom go over idle with it.

BonnySlope

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Ive got the same tiller. Its been problem free for many years now. I put it on a jd 955 so around 30 hp and seldom go over idle with it.
great, a little more work then I believed at first. Can I ask, what level of oil in gear box. I see there's a dip stick, up to top of flat? Do you know where a person could find a user's/operator manual?

BonnySlope

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Well, was able to mockup tiller today and set my lower link points. Plan on fitting to tractor tomorrow to measure what size series 4 PTO shaft with slip clutch, they usually break between 31.5 - 41" and then up for second grouping.
The more time I work on this tiller I see things that need a closer visual inspection, like pulling chain cover to check tensioner and chain. Maybe using some of my savings.
Laid out tiller and spline center lines found only a 6 1/2 offset, where brochure I found said possible offset up to 9.84
3PT_spacing-setup (2).jpg 3PT_spacing-setup (1).jpg Green fluid is Krud Kutter is a rust converter, just sharing.

Last edited:

BonnySlope

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Helo again, I have a chain question for your input. What I've read on internet about how much chain tenison is needed on different rotavators /rototillers none on Howards, most have said is to tighten until resistance and back off about one turn until free. The picture (2) chain_spocet (2).jpg I posted is just the tensioner slided up against R chain tight and would need to be backed off and even doing that, my tensioner bolt 2.97 is short of the listed 3.14 length. My plan is to use a wood dowel as a depth gauge. This will help to get bolt length, going with a thinner jam nut (original is 5/8 thick) Determining chain stretch without pulling chain to compare with new one, which I just ordered. The sprockets look in good shape, except possibly the lower 1 o'clock sprocket tooth.
Until I make up a replacement drive chain, I can only calculate chain length stretch picture 2
chain_spocet (1).jpg Parts sheet call for a 20-B1 36M chain with a 36 link count, didn't understand 36M until I was able to count my case. Typical parts book parts ID numbering.
Pulled depth control skids to reshape.
Hooked up to BX to get shaft measurement I'll need for my PTO shaft, looks like I'll be able to order shorter 31.5-41.