Home Generator Oil Heaters

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Hey Orange People, got a question on this accessory. Well, more like I want opinions. :LOL:
We have a 24k Generac air cooled/ LP fuel generator. We live in the Mid Atlantic, so it isn't often hatefully cold. There are times where is does drop into the single digits. A week or two ago, it was 5°f overnight and 28°f during the day. I happened to be outside when the generator fired up for exercise. It definitely did not want to fire up like it does when it is warmer out. Generac and other Chinese suppliers have an oil filter heating sleeve that is supposed to help cold starts. I believe it is 40 watts. It has a little Klixon switch to turn it on/ off. They run $122 for most sources.
Do any of you use this, and does it really help with cold starts at just 40 watts? I know heat will move from the filter and to the engine through conduction and convection. But is it really worth it? Better options? Better options without setting things on fire? LOL!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We have a 20KW Kohler. I have the installing company do the service. He used synthetic oil. It has the heater on it. It has a 20 min warm up every week and last week it acted no different than any other time and it was minus something at 8AM. I think there is also a heat pad for the battery (we don't have it).

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
We have a 20KW Kohler. I have the installing company do the service. He used synthetic oil. It has the heater on it. It has a 20 min warm up every week and last week it acted no different than any other time and it was minus something at 8AM. I think there is also a heat pad for the battery (we don't have it).
Good to know. Thank you.
I had originally set this up for 5 minute exercise. I bumped that to 10 min since 5 didn't get it up to operating temperature.
There is a battery pad for the Generac too. Cranking wasn't the issue, firing off was. That's why I would skip the battery warmer in my application.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Good to know. Thank you.
I had originally set this up for 5 minute exercise. I bumped that to 10 min since 5 didn't get it up to operating temperature.
There is a battery pad for the Generac too. Cranking wasn't the issue, firing off was. That's why I would skip the battery warmer in my application.
There is a Generac FB forum that is for dealers and techs. I joined just so I could learn and was never questioned. There is a lot of firsthand information to glean there.

Reactions: 1 user

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
We are in the eastern panhandle of WV, with a 22kw Generac, also LP. We have yet to have an issue with it due to temperature. Some other issues, but that's another story. I am curious how you adjusted the exercise duration? Mine (as far as I can tell) is not adjustable. Cheers!

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
fwiw the company I work for distributes Generac under the Honeywell label.

These are the two items we stock for cold weather assist:
1ea ³7102 OIL HEATER KIT FOR HONEYWELL ³
³GENERAC 9-22KW AIR COOLED ³
1ea ³7101 BATTERY HEATER KIT FOR ³
³HONEYWELL GENERAC 9-22KW AIR COOLED³

Feedback from our customers, especially in the Berkshires, indicates that they do make starting easier in cold temperatures

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
A warm battery has a LOT more power in it than a COLD one, so better chance engine will start, also easier to recharge,and it'll last longer.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
We are in the eastern panhandle of WV, with a 22kw Generac, also LP. We have yet to have an issue with it due to temperature. Some other issues, but that's another story. I am curious how you adjusted the exercise duration? Mine (as far as I can tell) is not adjustable. Cheers!
Have you been out with it when it is that cold? I would not have known if I hadn't been out there next to it. More like an extended crank time and a bit of sputtering when it did fire.
Exercise time (and weekly or bi-weekly selection) is done through the app. You can also toggle through the on-board screen. It is in the same menu in this video, although they do not show it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
A warm battery has a LOT more power in it than a COLD one, so better chance engine will start, also easier to recharge,and it'll last longer.
The battery is not the issue. Cranks just fine. It's getting it to light off that takes longer than I would like.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Gotta wonder how useful an OIL FILTER heater would be. It'd only heat about a half pint of the three quarts of oil in the engine. How much of a benefit would that be?

BTW, my 11-year-old Generac has never failed to start - even at minus 12°. It is a natural gas model, though. Would the very cold propane be playing a part in the start procedure?

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Have you been out with it when it is that cold? I would not have known if I hadn't been out there next to it. More like an extended crank time and a bit of sputtering when it did fire.
Exercise time (and weekly or bi-weekly selection) is done through the app. You can also toggle through the on-board screen. It is in the same menu in this video, although they do not show it.
Hmm, not right next to it, you got me curious now. No option in app to edit duration, only time and frequency. Thanks for the reply!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
deleted

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well, I guess for $120 it can't hurt. It's not like it has serious troubles. I just want to make it faster/ easier.
I got to thinking about the regulator too. Possibly, when it hits really cold, the 2nd stage reg doesn't react fast enough at initial start up. Just for fun, I'll tap a gauge in.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Although my 11kw propane powered Generac has started at -20 F, it took a couple attempts at it but did start. I now turn the auto start feature off when it drops below zero just cause I think it is too hard on the engine to ask it to go from a cold start to full rpm in just a few seconds. I use synthetic oil in it but still don’t like it starting when it is that cold out. I still have the original battery that is ten years old installed, so I would expect that it will be needing replacement soon.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Although my 11kw propane powered Generac has started at -20 F, it took a couple attempts at it but did start. I now turn the auto start feature off when it drops below zero just cause I think it is too hard on the engine to ask it to go from a cold start to full rpm in just a few seconds. I use synthetic oil in it but still don’t like it starting when it is that cold out. I still have the original battery that is ten years old installed, so I would expect that it will be needing replacement soon.
I agree with the cold start to full throttle view. I'm not a big fan.
Not to turn this into an oil debate (lol!!) , but what oil viscosity do you use? I talked to Generac and they said either 5w30 or their 5w20 synthetic. Supposedly, their 5w20 is suitable for summer and makes for easier cold starts. Just throwing it out there, as it might help you.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a 2012 Ram truck (w/4.7 V8…the little engine they ended that year) and I was always worried about 5W20 oil recommended by the factory…. but 13 years and 199K miles later…. much of it pulling a trailer in the Rockies….it still uses zero oil between 5K-mile oil changes. (and I‘ve always used standard oil…El Cheapo-brand…not synthetic)

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have a 2012 Ram truck (w/4.7 V8…the little engine they ended that year) and I was always worried about 5W20 oil recommended by the factory…. but 13 years and 199K miles later…. it still uses zero oil between 5K-mile oil changes. (and I‘ve always used standard oil…El Cheapo-brand…not synthetic)
You got me beat. My old Ford commuter uses 5w20 from Jiffy Lube. 130k and 0 oil consumption. No issues with internally lubricated parts.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have the giant Generac 'portable' gasoline model. Yup, cold weather cranking is a tad slower but not enough to be concerned. I did notice water condensation on the long intake runners as the vaporized fuel kept them very cool if not cold even on a 90 degree day. So... I always have the inlet air preheat enabled. Not sure if the auto gensets have this but if they do, it is a goo idea to enable it then in summer, feel one of the runners and see if it is hot or even warm. Mine is always cold, just less wet with it preheated.
More on topic, I have doubts that a oil filter heater is going to do much. A heating pad on the bottom of the engine is more likely to have an effect.
BTW, after a few seconds of cranking, the chemical reaction in the battery to release electricity tends to warm them up just fine. What you do not want to happen is have the battery acid freeze.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have the giant Generac 'portable' gasoline model. Yup, cold weather cranking is a tad slower but not enough to be concerned. I did notice water condensation on the long intake runners as the vaporized fuel kept them very cool if not cold even on a 90 degree day. So... I always have the inlet air preheat enabled. Not sure if the auto gensets have this but if they do, it is a goo idea to enable it then in summer, feel one of the runners and see if it is hot or even warm. Mine is always cold, just less wet with it preheated.
More on topic, I have doubts that a oil filter heater is going to do much. A heating pad on the bottom of the engine is more likely to have an effect.
BTW, after a few seconds of cranking, the chemical reaction in the battery to release electricity tends to warm them up just fine. What you do not want to happen is have the battery acid freeze.
I don't think there is a air preheat on the LP/NG model. The fuel doesn't change state and absorb heat like a gasoline model. I once added heated motorcycle grip pads to the intake manifold on a project bike. It had a EMPI carb from a VW. Frosting was significant without it.
I'm in doubt as well on a 40 watt heater on the filter. The enclosure is insulated, so the heat should stay inside for the most part. Sorta like the old days keeping a 100 watt drop light in the boat bilge. There are 100 watt pad heaters I've considered. At 3.5" in diameter, there might be a place to stick it.