M135GX Hard Starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhoppins

Equipment
Kubota M135GX
Jan 25, 2024
Trochu, Ab
I have a M135GX that is having a stating issue. Starter barely turns over to start engine. Replaced battery(twice), replaced starter, replaced alternator, and yet still having troubles. It does it on warm days and cold days. Tractor will run for 6-8 hours and after shutting off and trying to restart, it barely turns over. Almost like hydraulics are engaged, but they aren't, or battery is dead but it isn't. Local service department doesn't have any answers to assist with the problem. Anyone have any suggestions where to look next? Thanks

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
You didn't mention this. Make sure all your power and ground cables are in good shape with clean secure connections.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
After you have checked all your wiring out for good connections, it’s time to start using an electrical tester. First, would be to test the battery to make sure it is fully charged. Then get the tractor running to make sure the alternator is putting a charge into the battery. When the tractor doesn’t want to turn over, have you put a battery charger on it and see if it will make the engine start?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a M135GX that is having a stating issue. Starter barely turns over to start engine. Replaced battery(twice), replaced starter, replaced alternator, and yet still having troubles. It does it on warm days and cold days. Tractor will run for 6-8 hours and after shutting off and trying to restart, it barely turns over. Almost like hydraulics are engaged, but they aren't, or battery is dead but it isn't. Local service department doesn't have any answers to assist with the problem. Anyone have any suggestions where to look next? Thanks
I have sent you a private message. Look for the envelope symbol in the top right corner of most forum pages.
Dave

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
look at it this way...
alternator-->battery-->cables--> starter

you replaced all the $$$ items and STILL have the problem

For less than the cost of that 2nd battery, you should have replaced BOTH battery cables.
Hate to see the $$ for starter and alternator.

If over 5 years old,odds are one or both are internally corroded.

Reactions: 1 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I have rec'd the battery cable photos I asked you for.
Do the fix I suggested to this one connection and then try.
Post if it made a big difference
Ground connection.jpg

I will post the other photos so other forum members can review

Dave

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Here are photos from owner

In addition to the ground cable bolt to frame, the positive battery connection looks very messed with and may also be part of the problem.

Dave
resized 1.jpg

resized 3.jpg

resized 4.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
wow what a friggin wiring NIGHTMARE,sadly though I've seen worse.
3 or 4 high current device trying to get power from that battery !
That tractor should have a SECOND battery, just for 'extra' stuff.... and a 'dual-diode' between the alternator and the batteries.

rwhoppins

Equipment
Kubota M135GX
Jan 25, 2024
Trochu, Ab
After you have checked all your wiring out for good connections, it’s time to start using an electrical tester. First, would be to test the battery to make sure it is fully charged. Then get the tractor running to make sure the alternator is putting a charge into the battery. When the tractor doesn’t want to turn over, have you put a battery charger on it and see if it will make the engine start?
I’ve done all this and alternator is charging battery is a 13.5 volts in resting state and when starter is engaged is pulls down to 13.2 but engine is very slow turning over. Does anyone know the ohms of resistance in a new cable(battery to starter)? I’ll try doing some resistance testing as it turns over to determine if cables are faulty. Thanks

rwhoppins

Equipment
Kubota M135GX
Jan 25, 2024
Trochu, Ab
wow what a friggin wiring NIGHTMARE,sadly though I've seen worse.
3 or 4 high current device trying to get power from that battery !
That tractor should have a SECOND battery, just for 'extra' stuff.... and a 'dual-diode' between the alternator and the batteries.
Not really a nightmare. 1 cable operates an auger swing that isn’t connected unless auger is connected to it and the second cable is for a kubota round baler only used in summer time. Instructions from Kubota state to connect this way. The rest is factory connections. Sure wasted a lot of money on this tractor and regretted buying it from day one. Must have been built on a Friday or maybe they are all built this poorly.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Start by removing all the non original battery connections and see what it does.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Do as NIW says AND properly clean the cable ends and every nut/bolt/washer that secures them. Also follow the ground and see does it go to the frame or connected very close to the starter ?

BTW, I counted SEVEN wires on the +ve post, 4 or 5 on the -ve and a lot of 'corrosion' .

It's unlikely you have an ohmmeter good for 0.001 ohms, let alone proper test leads. Lasty one I bought, I got a deal at $500 CDN, 3 decades ago. Usually you'll do a voltage drop test. As for cable resistance, check any online 'wire gauge' chart. It'll say xx ohms per yy feet. The charts I use are for 1,000' of wire, so best to go online.

The bottom line is ANY resistance, in either feed from battery is BAD news. V=I x R, so if you had 0. 1 ohm resistance and tried to pull 100 amps through it (starter amps) , you'd lose 10 volts in the wire, So 12 volt battery only supplies 2 volts to starter. Tractor WSM might(should) post the starter for amps(load ,no load ), I just used 100 as an easy example for the simple math involved. That's why ultra clean, proper connections and perfect cables are important.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Start by removing all the non original battery connections and see what it does.
Excellent advice here. (y)

I run separate auxiliary fuse blocks from Painless Performance to power accessories. I have one under the hood of my Ford and another in a box waiting to go in the Jeep but might go in the boat this year depending on other upgrades.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I’ve done all this and alternator is charging battery is a 13.5 volts in resting state and when starter is engaged is pulls down to 13.2 but engine is very slow turning over. Does anyone know the ohms of resistance in a new cable(battery to starter)? I’ll try doing some resistance testing as it turns over to determine if cables are faulty. Thanks
Denso has publishes a series of Starter Testing steps which I will attach.
If you can use a multimeter these steps will help you zero in on the bad joint(s) and cables.
I will also provide the charging system tests.
Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

rwhoppins

Equipment
Kubota M135GX
Jan 25, 2024
Trochu, Ab
I have rec'd the battery cable photos I asked you for.
Do the fix I suggested to this one connection and then try.
Post if it made a big difference
View attachment 121163

I will post the other photos so other forum members can review

Dave
Polished it clean and it was not that bad but still no difference. even tried a brand new 2 gauge ground cable, and still no difference. Definitely not a ground issue.

rwhoppins

Equipment
Kubota M135GX
Jan 25, 2024
Trochu, Ab
Do as NIW says AND properly clean the cable ends and every nut/bolt/washer that secures them. Also follow the ground and see does it go to the frame or connected very close to the starter ?

BTW, I counted SEVEN wires on the +ve post, 4 or 5 on the -ve and a lot of 'corrosion' .

It's unlikely you have an ohmmeter good for 0.001 ohms, let alone proper test leads. Lasty one I bought, I got a deal at $500 CDN, 3 decades ago. Usually you'll do a voltage drop test. As for cable resistance, check any online 'wire gauge' chart. It'll say xx ohms per yy feet. The charts I use are for 1,000' of wire, so best to go online.

The bottom line is ANY resistance, in either feed from battery is BAD news. V=I x R, so if you had 0. 1 ohm resistance and tried to pull 100 amps through it (starter amps) , you'd lose 10 volts in the wire, So 12 volt battery only supplies 2 volts to starter. Tractor WSM might(should) post the starter for amps(load ,no load ), I just used 100 as an easy example for the simple math involved. That's why ultra clean, proper connections and perfect cables are important.
I did remove all non original equipment and still does the same thing. Cleaned all terminals, with wire brush, baking soda and vinegar. Still have same weak starting issue. And to clarify I do have proper test leads and ohm meter. Don't assume, you just made an ASS out of yourself this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.