BX2750D Snowblower Fan Shear Bolt

Murlandguy

Equipment
BX2670, BX2750D, Front plow, loader
Jan 20, 2024
Maryland
Long time consumer of knowledge, first time posting - forgive my ignorance

My fan/impeller shear bolt finally had to do its job. I’ve sheared and replaced a few auger bolts over the last couple years.

I’m at least the third owner of this snowblower implement.

I cannot seem to clear the hole to replace the shear bolt. I can turn the impeller 360, can’t find the pass through for the driveshaft. Assuming the center of the bolt is still stuck inside. Hesitant to start beating the hell out of it with a punch, but also wondering if there’s magic to aligning correctly and if a punch and hammer is the answer, how do you swing hammer with any force inside the housing?

I’ve searched on this site for two days, and also scoured YouTube and can now probably replace my auger bolts in seconds. Thanks for the help!!

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
does the fan move in & out on the shaft ? Ya may have to have someone turn the input while ya slide the fan in & out .
animals45

Reactions: 1 users

Murlandguy

Equipment
Jan 20, 2024
Maryland
does the fan move in & out on the shaft ? Ya may have to have someone turn the input while ya slide the fan in & out .
animals45
There appears to be a snap ring in place and when I push/pull I’d say movement is limited to about 1/8” if that.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
What blower is this? Have only worked on front mount kubota blowers that do not have the impeller shear bolt going through the shaft.

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I looked at the parts dwg. Can the clip be removed and slide the impeller far enough to expose the location of the pin? If not you might be able to put something small into the hole and try to "feel" the location.
When you do finally find the location, mark the shaft for next time.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You don't need to beat on the shaft to get it out. I would hold the fan with the hole on the top, and have someone turn the augers to locate the hole. You might need a good LED flashlight to locate the hole with the broken part of the pin still in the shaft. I would use a nail set in the hole to see if when the auger is turned it might snag on the broken part. Once you find the hole using the nail set, tap it out and insert the new shear bolt. Also, mark the shaft with a small v groove with a file so next time it will be easier to find. I have had some that are more difficult than others, and usually, the nail set with its small pinpoint end will work for you as well as it has worked for me. Make sure that you use the correct shear bolt when replacing it. Using the wrong part can damage the gearbox that turns the augers. I get all my shear bolts from the Kubota dealer and I buy them in the original packages of 10 so I am assured that they are genuine Kubota parts.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I looked at the parts dwg. Can the clip be removed and slide the impeller far enough to expose the location of the pin? If not you might be able to put something small into the hole and try to "feel" the location.
When you do finally find the location, mark the shaft for next time.
The design of the sheet metal where the fan (impeller) resides doesn't allow for the fan to move forward. The only way that this could be accomplished is to remove the rear cover, the chain, then the sprocket, and the associated bearing. Next, you would need to remove the front augers and pull the entire unit out of the housing. This will exponentially increase the amount of repair time to find the shear bolt hole and is something that I wouldn't recommend unless there was damage to the fan (impeller) that needed to be repaired.

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I wonder if Kubota uses different suppliers for their blowers in the US and Canada. Both my new blower and my 30 to 40 year old blower that I had on the b7200 were almost identical in how the shear pins were designed. Both from a Canadian company.
Neither has the impeller shear pin through the shaft and are easy to replace.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I believe that all the Kubota snowblowers are made by the same company in Canada. I have had quite a few different numbers of snowblowers and they are almost always similar in construction with many having identical parts. There are two variations of the BX2750 snowblower, the original BX2750 and the BX2750A which both use the same impeller (fan), and then the BX2750 B, C, and D which use the shear bolt through the shaft. Each time a change is made to a snowblower, they append the model with a letter. It takes a lot of careful looking at the parts breakdowns to determine exactly what has changed. I know about the impellers because I had investigated this for another person only a week or two ago. Once you learn how to repair one, then most of the others are just about the same.
Speaking of repairing Kubota snowblowers, there are a lot of videos on YouTube, however, use them as learning tools, but don't do things exactly the way that you see them in the video. I watched one last week, and the fellow was hammering on the front gearbox to get the shaft centered because it had rust on it. Had he just polished it with some oil and emery paper, it would have slid into the gearbox without any effort at all. One thing that I do find extremely annoying is when they edit out their mistake and pick up further on in the disassembly or reassembly. Many times an important step is left out or they get ahead of themselves in the reassembly, and don't mention this. I have fixed a few for some local people who didn't want to tackle the repair, and I do try to teach them how to fix it themselves in the future. I am not as young as I was 20 years ago, and not as strong or agile, so now I rather instruct than repair. I don't know if the manufacturer provides a service manual for snowblower repair, but if they did, a lot more people wouldn't be intimidated by their repairs. With the advent of digital cameras, there is no reason not to attempt most repairs.

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I have to agree with the quality of YouTube videos. Sometimes you have to look at a few to get any informative information. It is just amazing that no matter what info you are looking for, there seems to be a video for it. I worked in the hvac and electrical field for many years and having grown up on a farm have been fortunate in being able to fix just about anything that comes along. We could not afford a snow blower on the farm but could slide the county plow operators a couple of dollars and they would make a circle around our laneway. I eventually made a plow for the rear of our old ford tractor out of wood and scrap iron. Made the cutting edge out of steel plates from the hoppers from an old seed drill. Hit some frozen ice and back in for repairs. That was probably around 1962.

Reactions: 1 users

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
There are 2 models of the BX2750D. Older ones have the grade 8 shear bolt for the fan through the shaft. Newer ones have a flange on the fan and a flange adapter on the shaft with a grade 5 shear bolt. I've had (have) both.
The problem with the grade 8 bolt thru the shaft is that it (shaft) seems to get misaligned forward/backwards. My old fan was so hard to replace the Gr8 shear bolt, that I had to put a 2x4 against the augers to "pull forward" just a little bit to get the holes to align. It was a previously used blower, so I didn't know the whole history of it, but enough to say that the shaft hole and fan hole just did not align together easily. Whatever slack is in the drive shaft seems to cause this slight misalignment. I never tried to fix it, just bought a newer blower that had (in my opinion), a better fan shear bolt design - a lot easier to line it up and replace.
I suspect taking the drive mechanism apart and reassembling it may fix this shaft "drift", but in the middle of winter I was not going to try. It was easier to buy the newer model.

Murlandguy

Equipment
Jan 20, 2024
Maryland
Thank you all for the replies. I did find a video on youtube with the exact model blower and the exact issue I currently have. His remedy was to take a length of 7/16" steel and shape down a tip so he could hammer out the bolt fragments through the snow chute opening. The shaft does have a hole in front of the shear bolt hole that at least shows me rotational alignment. "Sagor" I hadn't even thought about what you are taking about, fan travel on the driveshaft. I concur, I'm not messing with that until after the winter is over. I just need to get this up and running.

The original intent of this thread was to see if anyone smarter than me had come up with a solution I hadn't thought of...IE using a long hardened piece of metal to beat the bolt fragments out of the hole.

I'll circle back once I get around to attempting the fix.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There are 2 models of the BX2750D. Older ones have the grade 8 shear bolt for the fan through the shaft. Newer ones have a flange on the fan and a flange adapter on the shaft with a grade 5 shear bolt. I've had (have) both.
The problem with the grade 8 bolt thru the shaft is that it (shaft) seems to get misaligned forward/backwards. My old fan was so hard to replace the Gr8 shear bolt, that I had to put a 2x4 against the augers to "pull forward" just a little bit to get the holes to align. It was a previously used blower, so I didn't know the whole history of it, but enough to say that the shaft hole and fan hole just did not align together easily. Whatever slack is in the drive shaft seems to cause this slight misalignment. I never tried to fix it, just bought a newer blower that had (in my opinion), a better fan shear bolt design - a lot easier to line it up and replace.
I suspect taking the drive mechanism apart and reassembling it may fix this shaft "drift", but in the middle of winter I was not going to try. It was easier to buy the newer model.
I checked the parts catalog on www.messicks dot com and they are only showing on type of fan assembly for the BX2750D. If you could please post a link showing that there are 2 different designs of the BX2750D I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for providing the requested information.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
I checked the parts catalog on www.messicks dot com and they are only showing on type of fan assembly for the BX2750D. If you could please post a link showing that there are 2 different designs of the BX2750D I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for providing the requested information.
There's all of these different versions to choose from. Looks like the conversion started with serial number 2500000.

1705938049024.png

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There's all of these different versions to choose from. Looks like the conversion started with serial number 2500000.

View attachment 120811
I have looked at the BX2750D parts diagrams and there is no indication that there are two different fans. As I have previously said, the BX2750 and the BX2750A use the same fan and then starting with the BX2750B, BX2750C, & BX2750D all use a different part number for the fan. I fail to understand why some continue to insist that there are 2 different versions of the BX2750D without being about to show conclusively any Kubota parts diagram to back up your assertion. The reason that I am so adamant about seeing the documentation is that next year someone reading this will confused by this misinformation.

To address this for those that have the BX2750/BX2750A type of fan on a BX2750 B, C, or D snowblower there is a very simple explanation. At some point, the original fan was damaged and replaced by the service facility with the earlier fan, and the "Tube & Shear Plate" Part # 70060-01287 to the snowblower, and added the appropriate hole in the shaft to accommodate the part so they could deliver the snowblower back to the customer quickly. Some other extenuating circumstances might have also come into play. and we have to remember, 10 or 15 years ago, parts delivery wasn't like it is today, where dealers are stocking just about every part to fix just about every snowblower that Kubota presently sells. What surprises me is that Kubota continues to inventory the 2 different part numbers instead of adding the hole in the shaft to the first design fan and then one number would service all the BX2750 series of snowblowers. In the case of the front wormgear box and shaft, it has been made backward compatible by having both holes in the shaft, one to accommodate the BX2750 and BX2750A fan, and the other hole to accommodate the BX2750B, C, and D fans. Please look at the pictures that I have posted for these details.

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I'll try to do a scan of the newer blower manual. It is specific for serial numbers "21219365 and up" (note it is 21 million+ serial, not the usual 2 million series of numbers)
Manual part number is 77700-03986, which is different than the old manual 777600-00663.

Fan on old bx2750D is part #70060-02188. Newer fan with shear plate is 70060-01679

Steve

Last edited:

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Ok, I scanned the manual, but the main pages are the expanded parts of the blower assembly, pages 22 and 23. Not sure if I can upload the manual here, but here are the images of pages 22 and 23. Note that part 31 is the newer shear plate, held in place on the shaft with a standard Gr8 bolt (not a shear bolt). The fan then has a matching face to the shear plate and a Gr5 bolt (#7) as the shear pin. I notice that the main drive shaft part numbers are the same between designs, so "maybe" one could modify the old shear system to the new one by obtaining the shear plate and a new fan (and whatever bushings) ??

BX2750D pg22.jpg

BX2750D pg23.jpg

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
As a note, on the Canadian Kubota Parts Finder site, it actually lists about 5 different manuals for the BX2750D model! (2 seem to be the same...). Only the serial 21219365 and up has the newer shear plate design.
Capture.JPG

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is now obvious that we are dealing with products sold in 2 different countries. The US versions of these snowblowers don't have a breakdown of the serial numbers. I just checked the shear bolt part number (77700-04112) item #32, the Messicks dot com website doesn't even list this part for the BX2750D snowblower. This adds a whole new dynamic to questions that are asked about snowblowers that are made in Canada and sold in the US. I would think that a BX2750D would be the same in both countries. This situation reminds me of the automobiles that were manufactured in Canada and sold in the US where the same model car was also manufactured in the US. It was a repair nightmare since the parts were not the same because they were manufactured in Canada for Canadian production and sold in both countries. Thanks for updating the thread and we all have learned something from this for the future.
I wonder if the BX models sold in Canada are the same as those sold in the US. If not, then we could have the same issue advising on the BX tractors.