Winter ???

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
3" to 4" of snow this morning. But the temp is 17* out. Have you ever heard it's to cold to snow ?
A all day event here.
I have heard that. Something about the air being so cold that it can't hold moisture. No proof or references to back it up, just heard it somewhere.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
They are saying up to 15" in the valley so we might have 2 ft or so. I put the chains on the rear of the tractor, blade on the tractor, and chains on the Ranger ... just in case.

trevoroni

Equipment
B6000
May 24, 2023
Canada
The snow up here is expected to stay away... They say maybe a couple of inches on Tuesday/Wednesday.
But the cold is coming back. (°C) not that it matters much near -40.
Screenshot_20240107-200403.png

It'll be a change from the near freezing temperatures and very little snow we've had so far this winter.
Hoping for some more snow this winter or else it'll be a really smokey summer yet again.
Got enough wood to last the rest of the year at least anyways at a balmy +25°C in here with a little help from the furnace when no one's home.
PXL_20240108_031104332.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
With my Curtis Cab I added this past fall I also added to heater that they offer. I've used the heater some but it never really like burned my hand when you'd hold your hand there checking the temp.
This morning it was 7* here. And I thought I'd scrape the driveway and try out the cab heater. It blower thru directional fins I have pointed at the windshield. After 15 minutes or so I has some fog on the opposite side of the windshield from the heater. I remembered I'd bought a rechargeable stroller fan from Amazon incase I wanted to move the air more. I got that and fired it up blowing with the heater fan the windshield cleared right up. At 7* I certainly wasn't sweating but when you stepped out you knew it was COLD. So I'm very pleased with it.
It allows you to use the tractor and not freeze to death.
Curtis has some fancy name for the heater like "the afterburner " or "Satan's Hell" or something meaning Hot.
It's more like a "sterno" but it's way better then nothing.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Some snow this morning giving way yo rain and high wind warnings and now the snow is ice,, YUCKKKKK

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
11:30 here in central Wisconsin. Right now in a lull in the storm, with the bulk of the snow to arrive this afternoon/evening. I keep my deck and wheelchair ramp shoveled along with a path to the garage and to the B7100. Shoveling snow from a sitting position in a chair is less than ideal 🥶 lol. That being the case I will shovel it multiple times as the storm progresses.

I enjoy the winter, snow days and tractor time so all good! Be safe out there guys!

IMG_8995.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

trevoroni

Equipment
B6000
May 24, 2023
Canada
It has arrived.
Isn't supposed to get much warmer all weekend.
Loaded up the wood rack on the front deck so hopefully won't have to venture out much this weekend. Just have to make it home from work today.
Screenshot_20240112-101145.png

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Half way thru the storm with about 6 inches so far. I did a quick removal on my drive and my neighbors. It will make my job that much easier tomorrow when the storm passes.

IMG_9013.jpeg

IMG_9012.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Half way thru the storm with about 6 inches so far. I did a quick removal on my drive and my neighbors. It will make my job that much easier tomorrow when the storm passes.

View attachment 120059

View attachment 120060
You guys are an inspiration. Here I am bitching about some light snow & maybe -4 degrees, when that would be a significant improvement, for some of you.

trevoroni

Equipment
B6000
May 24, 2023
Canada
They updated the forecast this afternoon.
Might hit -50* ambient air temperature tomorrow night.
I haven't experienced that here in my lifetime.
Screenshot_20240112-145941.png

At least it's sunny and "looks" nice outside.

• Wow

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
With my Curtis Cab I added this past fall I also added to heater that they offer. I've used the heater some but it never really like burned my hand when you'd hold your hand there checking the temp.
This morning it was 7* here. And I thought I'd scrape the driveway and try out the cab heater. It blower thru directional fins I have pointed at the windshield. After 15 minutes or so I has some fog on the opposite side of the windshield from the heater. I remembered I'd bought a rechargeable stroller fan from Amazon incase I wanted to move the air more. I got that and fired it up blowing with the heater fan the windshield cleared right up. At 7* I certainly wasn't sweating but when you stepped out you knew it was COLD. So I'm very pleased with it.
It allows you to use the tractor and not freeze to death.
Curtis has some fancy name for the heater like "the afterburner " or "Satan's Hell" or something meaning Hot.
It's more like a "sterno" but it's way better then nothing.
I had that same heater in my BX22, and it got so hot that I would open the window. Mine didn't have any adjustment for temperature, just the 2-speed fan. If yours isn't getting hot, then possibly it is partially air-bound. Take the heater off the wall, and drop it as low as possible, and then roll it around in your hands to get any trapped air out. Do this while the engine is running. Right now the heater is at the high point on the tractor and this is how air gets trapped in them.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
7* is quite 'brisk' with cab not completely sealed up like I assume a factory cab is.
I did shut it off the other day as it as 35* out and plenty warm in the cab.
So no real complaints about it.
Yes you know the heater, it does have a two speed fan.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Its just got cold ( to us Esst Texans ) so far. It was 25 this morn about 6am bit the nadty stuff is supposed to roll in Sunday afternoon. Exspected low of 14 & wintry mix of smow/sleet.
we just dont have winter but every few years so not equiped for long periods of snow/ice and nobody knows how to drive in winter weather. We have plenty of groceries, propane tank is full,etc.only place I need to be is monday to Dr to get the staples off my new knee.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I enjoy winter here in central Wisconsin but glad this storm is one for the books! I would guess about 14 inches total not counting the drifting that took place last night. Not a lot of snow in comparison to many parts of the country, mountains, east coast etc, but here this storm is at our upper end of things. We do on occasion get a 20 inch plus but thats rare.

I use the back blade 90% to 100% of the time per storm on average. I put the front mount blower to use this storm about 40%.

IMG_9017.jpeg

IMG_9016.jpeg

IMG_9021.jpeg

trevoroni

Equipment
B6000
May 24, 2023
Canada
Sewer outlet froze up last night at some point. The tank level alarm went off at 4:30am.
That was a first since we built this house in 2014. Probably due to the lack of snow and frigid temperatures.
I took a Gatorade bucket like they dump the coaches filled up with hot water and an old aquarium pump with some fuel hose and had it thawed out before 7:30. It was frozen about 8ft up the discharge line by the time the alarm went off.
Took longer to have a coffee and come up with a plan than to actually thaw it thankfully.
Unfortunately it must have pumped out in the last day or 2 and where it usually pumps out and runs down hill is a frozen lake of sewer water.
I chopped a channel in it with an axe today so hopefully it'll run downhill again once it warms up. Otherwise i'll have to rent a Hotsey I guess.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dog and I took our normal Sunday morning ride to get gas.

In a short distance we came into a heavy snow band. Visibility was terrible.

Since Geddy was driving, I took a quick picture…looks better than it was.

IMG_6413.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users