Flywheel bolt

Jay kilty

Equipment
Kubota B6100
Jul 27, 2022
Massachusetts
One of the bolts holding on the flywheel broke off while reinstalling. Is it necessary to remove that broken bolt? Found surface crack on flywheel but don’t have a grand to replace it. So can live with these to problems. Tractor gets light use around my property. Thanks for the help. Tractor is a B6100 man clutch four wheel drive

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
One of the bolts holding on the flywheel broke off while reinstalling. Is it necessary to remove that broken bolt? Found surface crack on flywheel but don’t have a grand to replace it. So can live with these to problems. Tractor gets light use around my property. Thanks for the help. Tractor is a B6100 man clutch four wheel drive
Take it out. If it broke while tightening it will probably spin right out with a left hand twist drill. A cracked flywheel would not be something I could live with.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Jay kilty

Equipment
Kubota B6100
Jul 27, 2022
Massachusetts
Take it out. If it broke while tightening it will probably spin right out with a left hand twist drill. A cracked flywheel would not be something I could live with.

Dan
I was not there when it happened but my guess is a impact wrench was used..Just the head broke off shaft is sticking out and even with a pipe wrench it won’t move. Afraid to use heat what do you think

• Wow

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was not there when it happened but my guess is a impact wrench was used..Just the head broke off shaft is sticking out and even with a pipe wrench it won’t move. Afraid to use heat what do you think
I think you should grind it flush and drill it out.

Dan

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Found surface crack on flywheel
Pictures are worth 1000 words.
If you’re talking in the friction area only, it’s no problem. They normally don’t go deep. If a careful inspection shows it’s cracked from or through a bolt hole or to an inner or outer edge, it’s junk.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
sound like maybe someone ran that bolt in, maybe cross threaded or damaged threads, with an impact? I've done it...and had the joys of replacing a crankshaft because of my own stupid "mistake". It could have been repaired but it was a customer's machine, I replaced it rather than trying to repair it. The customer was happier with that.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It's very possible the flywheel was not in time with the crankshaft and the bolt was cross-threaded, then ran in with an impact gun.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think the solution is in Jay's and Whitetigers answers. Remove the flywheel, get the broken bolt out, then start over making sure the bolts all thread in with your fingers. If there is resistance don't use a wrench because you probably have to remove and rotate the flywheel one bolt hole and try again.

There is only one position the flywheel will bolt on correctly and someone probably did not mark how the flywheel came off and just started bolting it back on randomly and mis-guessed!!

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
If you've never done it before I would consider having someone experienced do the thread repair, considering it's the crankshaft. It's even easier to screw up the thread repair process than it is to screw up the original threads.

Also, the flywheel and pressure plates are some of the most critical parts on a vehicle to torque PROPERLY (i.e. to spec, with a torque wrench) because they are some of the hardest to get back to later when they come loose, and can cause some of the most damage when they come loose.

This is coming from an ASE Master tech who has made every mistake in the book.. whether it's screwing up a crankshaft or having a flywheel come loose.. Trust me, i've been there. I've been everywhere. o_O 😂

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
First: Take the flywheel off: Then weld a washer over the remaining stud: Then weld a nut to the washer, then screw out the bolt.

Jay kilty

Equipment
Kubota B6100
Jul 27, 2022
Massachusetts
Thanks for all your replays. We put it back together the way it is and I’m working on the forget what happened there theme. Couple of weeks should be good to go. One of the benefits of getting old.