Another Bucket Level Indicator Thread

If I could satisfy all those features, would you be interested in a small production run?

  • Yes

  • No


Results are only viewable after voting.

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
Which brings up a potential addition to the level. Maybe a light inside with a highlighted zero might be worthwhile.
Interesting. Would definitely look cool, but I'm pretty adamant about not doing anything electronic. Honestly, if you can't see the device, it's probably too dark to see the bucket. If you have lights on your rollover bar, that should be plenty.
My post was more a statement about useful size and the fact that I could use it without benefit of glasses and the sunlight induced pinhole camera effect.
 

airbiscuit

Well-known member

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
429
492
63
NW WI
I was thinking it would be printed on the white barrel.
 

imarobot

Well-known member

Equipment
5740HSTC-3, FDR2584 Finish Mower, BH92 Backhoe, L2195A Snowblower, LA854 FEL, +
Apr 18, 2025
425
316
63
NH
Would it be possible to have a mount that the user could set the indicator to various "tilt" positions which would be set to whatever the attachment level point is with let's say numbers on the mount for loader, pallet forks, grapple etc? User would record what number corresponds to each attachment.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
Would it be possible to have a mount that the user could set the indicator to various "tilt" positions which would be set to whatever the attachment level point is with let's say numbers on the mount for loader, pallet forks, grapple etc? User would record what number corresponds to each attachment.
The way I intended to support this was by first leveling the attachment, then using a Sharpie to make marks for each implement's level location along the outside rim.
When you switch attachments, just twist the clear part to the appropriate level mark for each implement.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
I was thinking it would be printed on the white barrel.
To maintain the potential for sub 5 degree accuracy, I'd still like to have a reasonably thin (but visible) line on the rotating piece. I'm thinking the same utility is possible without doing larger colored areas there, but I may be missing something.

I took a little video of it "in action" but it doesn't work to put it here on the forum. Check the listing to see it.

I'm convinced it has utility, so if you want to sort of "pre-order," (up to four of) you can. Note that I put 2-5 weeks on delivery so I have time to incorporate changes that might come via my first two beta customers. I'm still working on a 3" version, and hopefully I can share what that looks like in a couple more days.
 
Last edited:

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
802
1,499
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
To maintain the potential for sub 5 degree accuracy, I'd still like to have a reasonably thin (but visible) line on the rotating piece. I'm thinking the same utility is possible without doing larger colored areas there, but I may be missing something.

I took a little video of it "in action" but it doesn't work to put it here on the forum. Check the listing to see it.

I'm convinced it has utility, so if you want to sort of "pre-order," (up to four of) you can. Note that I put 2-5 weeks on delivery so I have time to incorporate changes that might come via my first two beta customers. I'm still working on a 3" version, and hopefully I can share what that looks like in a couple more days.
You may or may want to, but if you create a YouTube video, you can copy the link to share it here.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

airbiscuit

Well-known member

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
429
492
63
NW WI
To maintain the potential for sub 5 degree accuracy, I'd still like to have a reasonably thin (but visible) line on the rotating piece. I'm thinking the same utility is possible without doing larger colored areas there, but I may be missing something.

I took a little video of it "in action" but it doesn't work to put it here on the forum. Check the listing to see it.

I'm convinced it has utility, so if you want to sort of "pre-order," (up to four of) you can. Note that I put 2-5 weeks on delivery so I have time to incorporate changes that might come via my first two beta customers. I'm still working on a 3" version, and hopefully I can share what that looks like in a couple more days.
If you look at my mock up, the thicker arrow still leaves a portion of the original thin line. It's kind of like a Duplex scope reticle. It's only a suggestion. Your design is brilliant.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
If you look at my mock up, the thicker arrow still leaves a portion of the original thin line. It's kind of like a Duplex scope reticle. It's only a suggestion. Your design is brilliant.
I think we're after the same practical result, just looking at it from different directions. Doing the colors on the rotating part as it's printed is a bit of a challenge. Not impossible, but in terms of consistency and printing productivity, not ideal. Now, I could take those parts and make a jig to put them in the UV printer, but the challenge there is getting them re-aligned with the weight in just the right position.

I have changed how I do the lines, and they are slightly thicker now due to that, but it looks pretty slick, I think, and it makes them deadly consistent.

Someone mentioned putting the centers in liquid, which would be a big challenge, but I realized it would add a welcome dampening effect. I hope it doesn't come to that. 😅
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
Got the first 3” prototype more or less put together. Getting just the right fit of the clear tube into the sides is a challenge, plus cutting it accurately with the method I was using for the 2” tube isn’t, uh, cutting it.

Here it is alongside the 2” one: IMG_8149.jpeg
I’m thinking for most small tractor users the 2” one will be fine (and a smaller target for debris) but anxious for the first two beta users to chime in on that. For a bigger tractor with more distance between the user and the bucket, the larger might be necessary.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
How water-resistant is the "Leveling Aid"? My tractor spends a lot of time outside.
That’s a challenging question.
I have no hesitation in saying it’s water resistant. That said, water is an insidious thing and it’s certainly not intended to be submersible.
Now, it is intended to be removable (so you can use it on more than one attachment), so you could take it in or just stick it in a less exposed place.
The most likely longer term issue associated with moisture would ultimately be either rust or fungal growth on the bearings. I’m actively looking at alternatives for the bearings themselves.
The sun is more likely to be the longer term issue. Most plastics degrade with UV exposure. The clear tube will likely yellow if left in the sun continuously.
So my ultimate answer is that a little rain while you’re working shouldn’t be a problem. If it dies unreasonably quickly I’ll fix it or you can return it.
But if it’s going to sit out in the sun and rain continuously, one of the two will ultimately kill it.
 

airbiscuit

Well-known member

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
429
492
63
NW WI
1791168087800.png

AI and I fixed it for you!
 
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
Based on the concerns of a potentially interested party in North Dakota, I left one with the new bearing design in the freezer for roughly 10 hours. Worked fine. Moved immediately when I picked it up. Obviously if it were full of water, the results might have been different, but I didn't do anything but pick it up off the counter and put it in.

I've been continuing to use the original prototype and I'm pretty pleased with the utility of the thing for my usage.

One more design fix is required for the 3" version, and waiting on feedback from the second beta tester before I remove the "BETA" label from the listing. Not too late to chime in with any questions or wants/needs.
 

Kirt

Member

Equipment
BX23s, land plane, rake, flail mower
Sep 5, 2026
32
37
18
Alabama, USA
thatboxmaker.com
What is the new bearing design?
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;) :ROFLMAO:

It's an application of a slick plastic with just the right amount of surface contact. Not exactly rocket science but it beats the skateboard bearings in almost every way. Obviously, someone could buy one and take it apart to figure it out, but as I haven't personally seen anything quite like it I'm gonna be a little coy about it.

FWIW, for DIYers, skateboard bearings are probably still the best/easiest path. Most are packed with a heavier grease than is ideal for this use. After a soak in alcohol and then in a light oil, all the ones I've tried have worked really well. Their function is definitely not the reason I was looking for alternatives, but the prep is part of it.

Also, the previous note is not to say that the skateboard bearings (after treatment anyway) won't work in 0F, I just didn't test them.