There is one thing I despise about kubota, part pricing

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am somewhat sympathetic to the OP, but in reality, "parts" across the board are rising fast, and competition from "online stores" has changed the landscape of "parts stores" forever. I don't think this is a Kubota or even a "tractor" phenomenon.

Being somewhat of a "weekend warrior" mechanic, I deal with the local O'rielly's a bit ,and their prices are usually double or triple the online guys like Detroit Axle or Amazon.

Hell, last year I needed a sensor for my wife van. O"Riellys wanted $120 for it. Amazon had it on my doorstep the next day for $15 +$2.99 for "same day" delivery. Tough to compete with that.

Just yesterday I called Oriellys for rear pads and rotors for the wifes van. $215.......Detroit Axle will drop them off this Tuesday for $92.

I will say this though, dealers have historically been at the top of the pricing list, so I am not too surprised at the OP's "sticker shock".

It's pretty much like this

Dealers........most expensive . (almost ridiculous sometimes) ......somewhat convenient

Local Parts stores..............2nd most expensive, but pretty convenient.

Online stores....................Cheapest, but least convenient.
"least convenient" ???
Curiosity: Why are so many people in such a hurry to get "stuff"?
Frequently, the "stuff" is not really of immediate need anyway.

Obviously, I am from a different era!
"Stuff" was ordered from the Sears catalog, and if lucky, it arrived two weeks later in the US Mail.
We lived relatively well, and never even dreamed of the myriad benefits of "Bidenomics".

Medical treatments/science gains are significantly better now!
Other "stuff".... not nearly as necessary as we seem to think it is.

Is it possible that the Amish really do have it right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I wonder if Lamborghini and Ferrari owners do the same things? :unsure:

yes. Neighbor guy has complained about his. 2019 488 and 2019 812. OIl change on the 488 is $675, plus tax. I don't know about the 812. But the dealer doesn't do "just" an oil change, there's a lot more they do-which is labor intensive, as everything is on these things. And, from what I've seen they aren't that good of a car, always something going on with them.

Periodic services are $1000-$2500 I'm told. Dunno from personal experience. I can buy one but I won't. I'll stick with my lowly mustang.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
yes. Neighbor guy has complained about his. 2019 488 and 2019 812. OIl change on the 488 is $675, plus tax. I don't know about the 812. But the dealer doesn't do "just" an oil change, there's a lot more they do-which is labor intensive, as everything is on these things. And, from what I've seen they aren't that good of a car, always something going on with them.

Periodic services are $1000-$2500 I'm told. Dunno from personal experience. I can buy one but I won't. I'll stick with my lowly mustang.
Even a simple, straightforward MB E350 oil change is now nearly $300+ at the MB dealer.
I buy the Purflux OEM filter, ($13), 7qts of European Mobil One ($35), and use/reuse my little $15 HF pump.
Nope,.....I don't/can't get the last drop out,....but I do not really care.
I could not get the last drop pumped out of my two marine diesels either, and it did not seem to matter.
E350 filter is on top, so no crawling under.
I pump/drain when hot.
My cost is $48,...... for their $300+ job?
Even at 83......I can easily do it,..... and save $252+,....... to buy 10 pounds of fillet mignon!

I do not need to pay the dealer to check tire wear, headlights, brake lights, brake wear, fluid levels, wiper blades, engine air filter, cabin filter, tire pressure, battery condition, muffler bearing wear, etc.

Last edited:
  • Love

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I believe his tractor is actually a BX2350. So the replacement would be a newer BX. But there are a lot of BX models between a BX2350 and the current BX2380. There's a BX2360, BX2370 and BX2370-1, then the BX2380.

A lot of parts are interchangeable, I put a loader from a BX2370 on my BX2350 when I had it. But it's expensive putting new parts on an old tractor, generally better to replace the tractor if you can.
He specifically says it's a B2350 and that he bought it used in 2018. Perhaps @ad356 can confirm.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Dealers have to charge large as they have HUGE overheads compared to 'backyard' mechanics. Employees, taxes, building costs(HVAC, water, etc.), leases for this and that,insurances,equipment, there's a LOT of costs, fixed and monthly , that go into running a successful business.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
"least convenient" ???
Curiosity: Why are so many people in such a hurry to get "stuff"?
Frequently, the "stuff" is not really of immediate need anyway.

Obviously, I am from a different era!
"Stuff" was ordered from the Sears catalog, and if lucky, it arrived two weeks later in the US Mail.
We lived relatively well, and never even dreamed of the myriad benefits of "Bidenomics".

Medical treatments/science gains are significantly better now!
Other "stuff".... not nearly as necessary as we seem to think it is.

Is it possible that the Amish really do have it right?

Typically, I am working on our main source of getting to work, so time is usually "of the essence".

I very much, look forward to "slowing down " one day, but it wont be this week. (y)

The other "problem" is that I/we/people have been spoiled, or 'conditioned' to expect things 'now'.

I'm not saying its "right", but that is the reality of todays world.

Hell, I rarely even step foot in store any more. Why would I?

I hate fighting traffic, then looking for someone to help me, which usually turns out to be some zit faced, punk kid that doesn't know jack shit about anything, then they have to "find the key" for the wire that is locked up at HomeDepot, then I have to wait in line, to "check myself out".:mad:

Or just "add to cart", click "same day delivery" and go do something else till it shows up.

Thats my experience anyway.

P.S. The Amish don't drink, so thats kind of a "deal breaker" right there....:LOL:😂

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Dealers have to charge large as they have HUGE overheads compared to 'backyard' mechanics. Employees, taxes, building costs(HVAC, water, etc.), leases for this and that,insurances,equipment, there's a LOT of costs, fixed and monthly , that go into running a successful business.
I also think in the specific case of MB dealers, most of their customers, have plenty of money, and near zero mechanical aptitude.
Many, are likely prime candidates for muffler bearing replacement.

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
The tractor is a bx2350, sorry about any confusion. It was one of those things I wanted to replace items that were worn out or broken. That at 2k for a hunk of plastic. If I could find a good used metal one I certainly would go that route

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Typically, I am working on our main source of getting to work, so time is usually "of the essence".

I very much, look forward to "slowing down " one day, but it wont be this week. (y)

The other "problem" is that I/we/people have been spoiled, or 'conditioned' to expect things 'now'.

I'm not saying its "right", but that is the reality of todays world.

Hell, I rarely even step foot in store any more. Why would I?

I hate fighting traffic, then looking for someone to help me, which usually turns out to be some zit faced, punk kid that doesn't know jack shit about anything, then they have to "find the key" for the wire that is locked up at HomeDepot, then I have to wait in line, to "check myself out".:mad:

Or just "add to cart", click "same day delivery" and go do something else till it shows up.

Thats my experience anyway.

P.S. The Amish don't drink, so thats kind of a "deal breaker" right there....:LOL:😂
It is partially an age thing.
If you are active in the working world, it is very understandable.
I am totally with you about on line purchasing!

I buy nearly EVERYTHING on line.
Have been needing two large heavy duty shipping boxes for several weeks now.
Just can't seem to force myself to go to HD to get them.

I can't drink anymore,....sad....it is called "gout".

• Love

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Even a simple, straightforward MB E350 oil change is now nearly $300+ at the MB dealer.
I buy the Purflux OEM filter, ($13), 7qts of European Mobil One ($35), and use/reuse my little $15 HF pump.
Nope,.....I don't/can't get the last drop out,....but I do not really care.
I could not get the last drop pumped out of my two marine diesels either, and it did not seem to matter.
E350 filter is on top, so no crawling under.
I pump/drain when hot.
My cost is $48,...... for their $300+ job?
Even at 83......I can easily do it,..... and save $252+,....... to buy 10 pounds of fillet mignon!

I do not need to pay the dealer to check tire wear, headlights, brake lights, brake wear, fluid levels, wiper blades, engine air filter, cabin filter, tire pressure, battery condition, muffler bearing wear, etc.
WalMart does a “Pit Stop” oil change for less than $25. It includes fresh standard Quaker State motor oil, a fresh oil filter, tire press check. I do this every 5K on all my cars except the wifes Toyota Sienna which requires full syn oil. The full sin “Pit Stop” oil change at WM is $35.

I’ve quit doing oil chages at home on cars for the simple reason the Pit Stop oil change costs the same and I don’t have to haul the old oil back for recycling.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
WalMart does a “Pit Stop” oil change for less than $25. It includes fresh standard Quaker State motor oil, a fresh oil filter, tire press check. I do this every 5K on all my cars except the wifes Toyota Sienna which requires full syn oil. The full sin “Pit Stop” oil change at WM is $35.

I’ve quit doing oil chages at home on cars for the simple reason the Pit Stop oil change costs the same and I don’t have to haul the old oil back for recycling.
When I do an oil change I do not need to drive anywhere, or wait for anything.
I do buy "stuff" at Walmart, but not motor oil for my MB, unless it is Mobil One European Formula.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Have you considered using a fiberglass body repair kit with mat to salvage your fender? If you apply layup to underside body putty can fill cracks on visible surfaces if original appearance is important.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
maybe this....

will help ??
In Canada , BX2350D ... K258195520... is a COMPLETE, English labelled plastic fender unit, well I think it is...

To repair/ reinforce 'plastic' ones, might cost $100-$200 for materials,depending on what you need.Your labour ( free..) is 2-3 hours of 'bench' time.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is partially an age thing.
If you are active in the working world, it is very understandable.
I am totally with you about on line purchasing!

I buy nearly EVERYTHING on line.
Have been needing two large heavy duty shipping boxes for several weeks now.
Just can't seem to force myself to go to HD to get them.

I can't drink anymore,....sad....it is called "gout".
You don't have to go to Home Depot to get a heavy-duty shipping carton, all you have to do is to call a local shop and they will give you the carton. My wife does it all the time for people moving that want cartons, and ours are free and they are also clean.

Mmanders6

Equipment
BX1880, ZG227
May 1, 2024
Houston, TX
I've been rebuilding an older Kubota zero turn and I've been pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the parts have been. Replacement steering dampers are $20, ball joint rod ends are $10, not bad at all. Even the motorcycle style fuel petcock is only $50 and they really could have gouged on that one since it's an unusual and specific piece.

Super UDT2 is fairly spendy, but that's the only complaint I have so far. Stuff like fenders and hydraulic components are always better to rebuild/repair. Those are high from every manufacturer.

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
i saw messicks had the super UDT2 at $140 for a 5 gallon container, not a bad price. as far as my oil changes i do not trust the kids working at a walmart. an oil change is a simple job but if done incorrectly the damage is extensive. i buy the oil at walmart, the "supertech" brand is actually a decent oil and the price is decent. i used to be more concerned about the brand of oil in the past, but with inflation being what it is, i try to save money where i can. in my cars i use supertech full synthetic and i have had good results. when purchasing oil, always make sure it meets or exceeds the API standards for the engine you are servicing. i have 2 old 5 gallon gas cans i store waste oil in. when they get full i take the oil down to the agco dealer 1 mile away. they take the oil for free and use it in a waste oil furnace.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

yeah nobody wants to understand that part of it though.

Parts might only be $70. Pay the tech, lube tech might be $25/hr so $15 or so. Then commission, so maybe $20 or so with his hourly. Already close to $100. Plus electricity, water, plumbing, lease, training, repairs, tools, disposal costs, environmental costs, taxes, fees, insurance, and then paying the detail shop tech to vacuum the interior and wipe off the greasy handprints. Now with all that we might be closer to $150. For an oil change only.

Add in a percentage, because some customers will do something like this. "I had my car in for oil change last year and now the tire goes flat...you owe me a tire or I'm taking you to court!!". So shop can afford to eat a tire to please that one guy. Believe me, it happens more often than you think. So the business needs to add a little cushion to offset those costs. People call it "profit" but that's not usually the case. It is until that one guy shows up wanting a new tire, then that "profit" gets eat up.

you get the idea.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users