Electric Cars - 12 minutes worth watching

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
re: I'm talking about trenched coil .....
aka 'slinky loops' .
I asked as even back then,it was a known method but even though I have 1/3 acre of land, once you subtract house, garage, shed and oh yeah septic bed, there isn't enough area to lay the pipes and I only need 2t. Today most systems are 3t or more, due to bigger houses, no trees, and other factors.
I was running my own energy design/build/management company back then so I knew and did the calculations which were very,very close to the consultants own figures

as for jobs.. I never ever had a $50K job, not even $25K ,lost that due to Federal regulations, but still managed to pay off house, buy lots of toys and retire at 35. Gives me lots of time to help neighbours and play with the toys.
Sounds like the life of an unconvicted bank robber.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Sounds like the life of an unconvicted bank robber.

no, just didn't follow the 'great' advice to invest in mutual funds. Instead paid off the mortgage in 2 years 3 months ( 11.5% back then, mid -late 80s)

BTW if you do rob a bank, put cash where ONLY you know where it is, goto cop shop, do the time, money will be there when you get out.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You probably have 20 years or more to go, so you'll have to live through the energy transition just like folks had to live through the industrial revolution. As for the current "Democrat wacko, leftist, paranoia, woke crap" I think that tide is already beginning to receed, albeit more slowly than I'd like.

For the higher density areas like the noted 1/3 acre where they are already mostly on water and sewer service, a shift to the modern version of the "district heating" or "steam service' is probably a better, more efficient direction. This is already occurring in some European countries with decent results.
Should we be expecting "district " air conditioning also?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
some parts of NYC still have 'district heating' via common steam generation plants.
Most notable would be Iceland for geothermal community services of course.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
some parts of NYC still have 'district heating' via common steam generation plants.
Most notable would be Iceland for geothermal community services of course.
And......district air conditioning too? ;)

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
If anyone is aware of a currently functioning, economically self sustaining small scale nuclear reactor (not the arm waving - a real live example) please provide the details.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If anyone is aware of a currently functioning, economically self sustaining small scale nuclear reactor (not the arm waving - a real live example) please provide the details.
I know someone who is running their own natural gas generating station. It is a really smelly proposition.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Solar panels are dirt cheap right now, if you have the space. I'm putting up solar heater in my shop to heat the floor. Getting away from the grid is a good thing. Something like 90% of the population would be just fine with an ev as they don't drive very far very often, and charging overnight makes the most sense. The result is cleaner air. Now if you could get a cheap battery and cheap solar panels, the panels charge your battery during the day, then overnight your battery charges your car.

The power company is a government run shit show. But so are the oil companies. Can't trust or rely on anyone but yourself. So why not focus on disconnecting from all these muppets in the public sector as much as possible?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I won't live long enough to invest in solar panels, and the return on investment in New England isn't enough to make it worthwhile. I know lots of people that installed solar panels in the last 4 or 5 years and they are still getting high bills and have to still make the payment on the panels. If I bought them 20 years ago today they would be paid for and I would be getting some value for my investment.
The solar installing companies are skimming the cream off the top and what is left is less than 2% milk.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I tried to get into the guv run microFIT program years ago. lock you in for 20 years at 80c/KWh. did the 'math' and I'd make over $1,000 a month AFTER paying for the panel and install. Three 'solar install' companies numbers were similar, all said my shop was a GREAT site. A 'minor' hiccup though..seems I had to be the OWNER of the land,my business didn't qualify ! looked into the fine print,yup, I couldn't do it BUT if I was 'native' I could have as many systems on whatever land I was on ! I even did more math,on flipping property into my name but it'd become a paperwork problem come tax time.Even now that solar stuff prices have dropped, it's not a 'deal'. Neighbour up the road made a lot, then his new neighbour planted trees.....so solar panels are shaded all summer long.oopsy. They also get dirty for tree stuff and dirt from farms. ANY dust on them cuts power output big time.
Big problem with all solar panels is their 'aging', the older they get ,the less power they produce. No way they'll last 20 years then of course it's off to the landfill or back to China as Ewaste.
Biggest issue of going 'off grid' is 'electron storage' aka batteries. The guy who actually comes up with a cheap, reliable, efficient ,long life battery will either become a zillionaire or found in the bottom of a lake wearing 'concrete boots'.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Should we be expecting "district " air conditioning also?
Certainly. This isn't rocket surgery, if you are provided with a heat source, you can get cooling quite readily, think absorption chiller, i.e. what pretty much every RV refrigerator has that happily cools your food with a gas flame as an energy input. Also used in many industrial applications.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
There is one coming your way:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dont worry the pretty boy of canada will figure out how to outlaw it too