Overheating problems

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
I have a Kubota G5200. Runs great but keeps overheating. I have replaced radiator hoses ( both needed replacing) new thermostat, radiator cap and flushed system and still over heats. I noticed when running and radiator cap off that the water doesn't look like it is circulating. I noticed some people have said the thermostat can be put in upside down and cause problems? I have checked the belts as well they look good but do have about an inch play in them. Does anyone have any suggestions. All help greatly appreciated

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Have you tested temperature with a known accurate gauge/thermometer? Senders and guages go bad like everything else. Have you cleaned radiator fins? How long have you owned tractor? Have you put chemical in coolant to detect combustion byproducts? Blown head gasket is a common cause of overheating. Above everything don't monkey around with this,overheating can quickly lead to catastrophic damage such as cracked block or worse.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
1" of play is way tooooo much !

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
YOU need to take readings with an infrared thermometer - head area, top neck of radiator, bottom neck of radiator.

this temp trace will show you where the problem could be

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a Kubota G5200. Runs great but keeps overheating. I have replaced radiator hoses ( both needed replacing) new thermostat, radiator cap and flushed system and still over heats. I noticed when running and radiator cap off that the water doesn't look like it is circulating. I noticed some people have said the thermostat can be put in upside down and cause problems? I have checked the belts as well they look good but do have about an inch play in them. Does anyone have any suggestions. All help greatly appreciated
What constitutes overheating? Warning light, boil over, both?

Dan

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
What constitutes overheating? Warning light, boil over, both?

Dan
The temp gauge starts to go a little past the 3/4 mark on the gauge. And I get some water coming out of the overflow tube spout where it runs from the fill radiator cap neck. And you can hear the coolant bubbling. I also forgot to state that I had the radiator pressure checked and flushed as well as flushing the block with radiator flush then neutralized with white vinegar the flushed again with distilled water. The fan belt is tight no play in it

• Wow

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
Have you tested temperature with a known accurate gauge/thermometer? Senders and guages go bad like everything else. Have you cleaned radiator fins? How long have you owned tractor? Have you put chemical in coolant to detect combustion byproducts? Blown head gasket is a common cause of overheating. Above everything don't monkey around with this,overheating can quickly lead to catastrophic damage such as cracked block or worse.
Thanks for reply. I have owned the Kubota for a year it was my father's and he has had it for about 12 yrs. He recently passed away so I have been using to help with my mom's yard which is about an acre lot. I pressure checked radiator, flushed radiator and block with recommend flush from Kubota dealer then neutralized after flushing with white vinegar then flush a few times with distilled water. I refil system with a 50/50 mix of radiator fluid and distilled water. I replaced hoses ( both upper and lower) as they had a tear in the lower, so replaced both with new and installed new thermostat. I have nothing that indicates a head gasket issue. No visible leaks or rust etc from a leak. No water in oil etc. Originally thought just hose and thermostat problem, but went ahead with checking, cleaning etc radiator. Fins are good and clean/ clear on radiator. It takes a while to get to point of running hot, once I'm a 3/4 way finished with cutting yard.

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
The temp gauge starts to go a little past the 3/4 mark on the gauge. And I get some water coming out of the overflow tube spout where it runs from the fill radiator cap neck. And you can hear the coolant bubbling. I also forgot to state that I had the radiator pressure checked and flushed as well as flushing the block with radiator flush then neutralized with white vinegar the flushed again with distilled water. The fan belt is tight no play in it
But no haven't checked with any chemical base for head gasket problem. I'm to the point of thinking maybe pump issue because you do not see any water circulation or bubbling in radiator when running

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If the radiator is overfull it will overflow when it gets hot. That is not overheating. An actual coolant temp would be helpfull. I would double check the thermostat installation and opening temperature. You could also leave it out and see what happens on the gauge.

Dan

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
If the radiator is overfull it will overflow when it gets hot. That is not overheating. An actual coolant temp would be helpfull. I would double check the thermostat installation and opening temperature. You could also leave it out and see what happens on the gauge.

Dan
Thanks I thought of running it without the thermostat to see what it did. It goes past the 3/4 mark on temp gauge and you can hear the water bubbling, but I haven't put a true temperature reading gauge/ tester on it yet

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
Haven't put a temperature reading gauge on it yet to get a true reading. I will do that next. Do you know what the temperature should average at?

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
YOU need to take readings with an infrared thermometer - head area, top neck of radiator, bottom neck of radiator.

this temp trace will show you where the problem could be
Thanks, sounds good I will do that next. Do you have an idea what a good average temp should be? Or a range?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks, sounds good I will do that next. Do you have an idea what a good average temp should be? Or a range?
Your coolant temp should be very nearly/ not much more than the thermostat rating…. I.E. a 190-degree thermostat should give results about 200-210. More than 220 is definitely overheating.

Did you confirm the thermostat was installed correctly?

Did you test the thermostat in a pot of boiling water.. to determine it actually works..?? (Yes, New parts are sometimes no good.).

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Haven't put a temperature reading gauge on it yet to get a true reading. I will do that next. Do you know what the temperature should average at?
A good HOT running diesel - one that is cutting grass or pulling a load over time should have an UPPER radiator hose temp of 210-220 F - the BOTTOM should be 100 F DIFFERNCE!!!

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Your coolant temp should be very nearly/ not much more than the thermostat rating…. I.E. a 190-degree thermostat should give results about 200-210. More than 220 is definitely overheating.

Did you test the thermostat in a pot of boiling water.. to determine it actually works..?? (Yes, New parts are sometimes no good.).
If the coolant is correct it won't boil at 220.

Dan

Reactions: 3 users

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida

I just went and purchased an infrared thermometer to get a more accurate reading. I replaced the thermostat about 2 weeks ago when I replaced hoses and flushed the radiator and system and replaced thermostat. I have not double checked to make sure the thermostat was installed correctly. That's my next step, then get a temp reading around head, block etc to see if there are any differences in temp. Thanks for the reply. I'll post what I find from there

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
If the coolant is correct it won't boil at 220.

Dan
Thanks, I just picked up a new infrared thermometer to get a more accurate temp reading, I'm also going to double check the thermostat install to make sure it is correct. I'll post what I figure out after that. Thanks

dameanfl

Equipment
G5200
Aug 16, 2023
Pensacola, Florida
A good HOT running diesel - one that is cutting grass or pulling a load over time should have an UPPER radiator hose temp of 210-220 F - the BOTTOM should be 100 F DIFFERNCE!!!
Thanks for the info. I just picked up a new infrared thermometer. I will check and get some more accurate readings and let you know what I find out. Thanks