Canadian Wildfires

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This is something that those of us in the west are familiar with, not annually, but frequently enough that fire/smoke season is something we are familiar with. Then we also have prescribed burning seasons, typically in the fall.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
In the states, Federal fires are put out by drowning them in money. And everyone on the fire has a garage with literal pallets of gatorade. They ought to use that to actually put out the fires, but then it wouldn’t be as Idiocracy worthy.

A few years ago nearly every mountain pass in Oregon was on fire and most were not contained. Another started, the Forest Circus 🤡 knew it, didn’t fight it until it was uncontrollable. Houses and lives were lost. But at least the money faucet was turned wide open after it was too late.

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It doesn't look like there is much of a trend to me. Fwiw, the current fire has to get several times larger to be the top on this list.

Instead of the administration saying it's caused by x, it might make more sense to coordinate states to send firefighters and equipment before the fire season in the NW gets going full steam. But, that would mean they'd have to solve a problem not just use it for politics. ;)

Oh, I know that some are going now, but that could have started weeks ago.

View attachment 104496
Interagency wildfire management and training is something that states and federal agencies have been doing as standard operating procedures since the 1980s. We all share personal and equipment resources, no matter the jurisdiction. Regional dispatch centers coordinate movements of resources around the country. The staging of resources is based on large fire risks at a particular time of year and based on ground conditions. Many of those fires that you show are actually insignificant as far as risk goes. For example, my region (Arizona and New Mexico) is experiencing record moisture for this season and those low severity fires are being managed for beneficial purposes to reduce fuels and rejuvenate vegetation.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Interagency wildfire management and training is something that states and federal agencies have been doing as standard operating procedures since the 1980s.
Obviously, I was talking about helping Canada instead of saying that global warming is the cause. Literally, the fire has been going for almost 3 months.

Since you imply you are in that business, my guess is that you should know putting out fires sooner is better than later.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm headed for "the other alaska" in two weeks for vacation. Nova scotia that is.
So I'm hoping the fishing will be good and the Digby scallops Big and the wildlifes will be out. Reading the news up there the open fire burn fine was $236. They upped it to $25,000. To send a message No Open burns. News said last week two different people received the $25,000. Fine

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'm headed for "the other alaska" in two weeks for vacation. Nova scotia that is.
So I'm hoping the fishing will be good and the Digby scallops Big and the wildlifes will be out. Reading the news up there the open fire burn fine was $236. They upped it to $25,000. To send a message No Open burns. News said last week two different people received the $25,000. Fine
Yep, ain't no fixing stupid, within 3 or 4 miles of home some idiot or idiots tried to set 3 fires. Enjoy your feed of scallops.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
It's here in the Shenandoah Valley of VA, also. How does this figure into our climate concerns?
It doesn't. It's a convenient scapegoat that might help the left side get what they want.
Chances are the fire was started by a person and burned up over grown public lands. That's how it always happens here in the US.
When a wild fire hits paper company land or lumber company land, they stop.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Obviously, I was talking about helping Canada instead of saying that global warming is the cause. Literally, the fire has been going for almost 3 months.

Since you imply you are in that business, my guess is that you should know putting out fires sooner is better than later.
The wild land fire agencies do help internationally, but they have to be requested government to government. Apparently Canada hasn’t done this. Also, many large fires in heavy fuels go for a month or more before containment. That is common here in the western U.S. and just may be the case in Canada. Often fire spread is contained, but heavy fuels inside the fire take awhile to burn out. Just part of the process. Wildfires aren’t “extinguished” like structure fires, they are contained by removing fuels and building fire line to stop fire spread, and the interior fuels must burn out over time.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
much improvement here today. I think the smoke is now a bit more to the west?

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
It doesn't. It's a convenient scapegoat that might help the left side get what they want.
Chances are the fire was started by a person and burned up over grown public lands. That's how it always happens here in the US.
When a wild fire hits paper company land or lumber company land, they stop.
Absolutely. Forest fires started on private land nearly always get out ASAP. Federal lands, not so much. I wonder if there’s a correlation?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Absolutely. Forest fires started on private land nearly always get out ASAP. Federal lands, not so much. I wonder if there’s a correlation?
Federal land management agencies have crews and equipment to work the fires.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Welcome to what the West has delt with for the past few years as well. No fun at all.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I sold my place in Shelburne County NS, 4 years ago.
Have many friends there.
Friend told me on the phone, that the Shelburne County fire was started by someone burning three tires.
To date the Shelburne fire has burned 65,000+ acres.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I sold my place in Shelburne County NS, 4 years ago.
Have many friends there.
Friend told me on the phone, that the Shelburne County fire was started by someone burning three tires.
To date the Shelburne fire has burned 65,000+ acres.
That’s a baby. In one year alone 2020, IIRC, we had a million acres on fire in Oregon. The very large majority of it Federally owned.

I checked, it was 2020, 1.1 million acres (1720 square miles), 4000 residences burned and nine people died. That’s nearly the size of Delaware and nearly twice the size or Rhode Island. We were in notice to prepare to evacuate. Fire was 7 miles away. There were rural communities immediately adjacent to the interstate that were burned. It was pretty crazy, but we’ve got nothing on California, yet.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
AZ DiamondBacks game vs Washington Nationals postponed today because of smoke.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The wild land fire agencies do help internationally ...
You seem to think nobody knows about fires except for you or how coordination works while you have a very low bar for our government. I can ponder why, but I don't want to make assumptions. ;)