Welding cast iron

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The Ol picked up a cast iron caldron a couple years ago and whom ever had it used it for a hanging flower pot they broke off the 3 legs and drilled a couple holes in the bottom. She has lost interest in this caldron and tossed it.. Being me I grabed it up cause i do like to cook over a fire and this would be great for stews, soups and beans and the like. So can it be welded back up so stuff wont leak out of it,, Im not a welder so please dont use tech terms,, just like yes/no, what kind of rod you know stuff like that. I want to use it to cook with!!!

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Yep, done it several times. If The holes are big and you can somehow clamp a piece of thick roofing copper tightly over one side of the hole it will allow you to plug weld the hole all at one time. less wasted rod since it won't stick to the copper. But, that goes for any hole your welding up. Good trick for a mig welder in steel too!

Around here the proper rods are about $5 each. Just buy what you need. you don't want a bunch on hand as they tend to get old in my opinion.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Good tip on that copper thing, kytim, I did not know that..
Yes it works well. All you have to do is then grind both sides smooth and your back in action.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
cabu if I can get this thing fixed I ll do both,, from what I can find on the net this pot has got to be close to 100 years old.. And I figure that in its day some good meals were cooked in it, and if I can get it welded or brazed and NOT LEAKING maybe the grand kids can cook in it as well,, I surely hate to toss it in the scrap pile,, Cast iron cook ware is great stuff :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Boss if you can find me one like that for 50 I might be really interested,,lol

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The bad girl I have is I would say about 3 gallons I would guess that is with the hloes pluged of course:D,, its 12 inches in diamater and about 11 inches deep, maybe not enough for a good old fashion cajon cook out but for us hill folk it wouldnt be bad,,lol

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
The bad girl I have is I would say about 3 gallons I would guess that is with the hloes pluged of course:D,, its 12 inches in diamater and about 11 inches deep, maybe not enough for a good old fashion cajon cook out but for us hill folk it wouldnt be bad,,lol
3 gallons is more like it even though still small by our standards in cast iron pots. And yes, these Cajuns like to eat. Actually I am not Cajun, but I am married to one and that counts.