Renting rear PTO rototiller?

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Odd question, but does anyone know where you can rent a 3 point hitch, PTO driven rototiller, in/around Portland Maine? I've been trying to find things via Google search, and no luck, I'd hate to buy one, as I need it for what would be an hour or less each year, but it sure would beat a walk behind.

Thanks,
Greg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hmmmm...have you asked your friendly Kubota dealer ? Maybe one of their customers has one that will rent it out for the day ? It'd be a really,really long shot of any 'tool rental' place rented them...very,ver small market. Maybe check craigslist or fb marketplace ? I saw one(grey ) for $2K on CL-maine.
While kinda pricey,if you buy it, neighbours might pay to save THEIR backs !

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Where I live, some of the equipment rental places have them. Otherwise a good excuse to buy one.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Where I live, some of the equipment rental places have them. Otherwise a good excuse to buy one.
There isn't much in the way of tractor implement rental places up here in NW Montana which is a pity. I'd like to rent a seed drill but so far no luck. I'm at the point of putting an add on Craigslist to see if any farmers are interested in renting out theirs ... if it's small enough of course!

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Try calling some locally owned rental companies. They are more likely to niche market equipment. If they have small tractors they probably have a tiller. Some people do custom work like gardens and bush hogging.

Personally I wouldn’t rent my equipment out. Not in that business. I do have a few friends who we exchange some equipment or labor. Farms are being displaced by subdivisions at a great rate.

In the past tilled three neighbors gardens for free. They were older and really appreciated the gesture. Made several others angry that I would do their gardens and had to pay someone. Explained I don’t do custom work. They have since passed on. Have another helpful retired neighbor I’ll do theirs when I do mine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Odd question, but does anyone know where you can rent a 3 point hitch, PTO driven rototiller, in/around Portland Maine? I've been trying to find things via Google search, and no luck, I'd hate to buy one, as I need it for what would be an hour or less each year, but it sure would beat a walk behind.

Thanks,
Greg
I am only 160 miles away, but really not interested in renting.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
I figured it'd be a long shot, I will call some local places, maybe even check with some of the local farms around me. Worst case, I use the walk behind tiller I already have and it takes me 2 hours a year, I for sure don't have enough garden, nor do our neighbors, to justify spending $2k on an implement. Thanks for the suggestions.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I figured it'd be a long shot, I will call some local places, maybe even check with some of the local farms around me. Worst case, I use the walk behind tiller I already have and it takes me 2 hours a year, I for sure don't have enough garden, nor do our neighbors, to justify spending $2k on an implement. Thanks for the suggestions.
Just keep your eyes and ears open.
You may find a tiller for next year.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The risk of damage greatly outweighs the benefit of the rental money. If it is damaged and the damage isn't seen immediately, then I would wind up paying to fix it. If I break my own tiller, I am responsible for repairs. If I rent it and the renter returns it broken, then I am out, because it will be a fight to get paid, especially if it is an expensive repair.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Try calling some locally owned rental companies.
BINGO. Google seach results are primarily PAID search results meaning "mostly useless". Not like how the yellow or white pages used to be.

For our younger members these were physical books containing numbers of every person and vendor in your area code. Google is a phone book of god knows who and who knows where pretending to be what you are looking for because they paid google for clicks.

It's the equivalent of looking up a florist in the yellow pages and every one you call is really a proctologist wanting to probe you with a broom handle.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You need to find a new proctologist if yours is using a broom handle. Find a woman because she will have smaller hands!

tacticalturnip

Equipment
Kioti CK2610
Jan 19, 2023
NW Atlantic
You're probably not going to find one, and I think I know why. You'll see walk behind tillers everywhere you go, but I only know of one place that will rent a 3 point, and you have to rent their tractor to use it. It sounds silly, right? Well unless the renter has commercial insurance, or some such thing that will cover the tiller, their insurance will not cover the rototiller when used on the renters machine. There was more to it, but I don't remember any more details; suffice it to say, they don't make it easy to rent just the implement.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You're probably not going to find one, and I think I know why. You'll see walk behind tillers everywhere you go, but I only know of one place that will rent a 3 point, and you have to rent their tractor to use it. It sounds silly, right? Well unless the renter has commercial insurance, or some such thing that will cover the tiller, their insurance will not cover the rototiller when used on the renters machine. There was more to it, but I don't remember any more details; suffice it to say, they don't make it easy to rent just the implement.
I can rent a 5ft 3-point tiller up here if I needed one, but at $300/day and a 30 minute drive to pick it up and then 30 minutes to drop it off ... no way!! If you need a tiller you could probably benefit by buying one.

It costs more to rent a tiller than a tractor from this place! :unsure:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You need to find a new proctologist if yours is using a broom handle. Find a woman because she will have smaller hands!
"smaller hands" ???
I would certainly hope for fingers only!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
Depending on your situation, it might be best to buy one. If you have a place to store it, inside preferably. It won't cost you much to keep it for how ever long you need it and then sell it when your done and recoup all or most of your money. Any used equipment I have sold I got most or more than I paid 6 to 10 years later. What costs me the most was when I moved up in tractor size and wanted larger attachments like a bush hog. I almost broke even on the 4" bush hog I sold, form when I bought it. But the new one 5' and heavier duty was a lot more money. When I or someone in the family sells it 10 years down the road they may get the purchase price back, just because of inflation. Just another way of helping you justify buying one. I have a lot of advise to help you spend your money. lol

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
For some reason the Bobcat dealer here in town rents these. No idea how you'd use one on a skid steer, but they do. I'm not sure if it's Bobcat sanctioned or just the side hustle of the kids that work there (but it is advertised on their web page).

I did end up buying, the one I rented from them had a bent/jammed PTO shaft and I couldn't use it. Having one around let's me not have to schedule around weather in advance (and you probably want it the same weekend everybody else in the county wants it). Do shop around, two weeks later I could have gotten it for $200 cheaper from the same place due to some promotion...

'luck