Fuel shutoff issue D1105

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
Having a strange issue with my injector pump. For whatever reason only two out of the three of the cylinders cut the fuel. I’ve had it apart more than three times already and I can’t find the problem. Pins move up and down fine, the shut off slider moves smooth and the pin inside seems to be rotate properly. I thought maybe it was getting stuck somehow but after thoroughly cleaning everything again it still doesn’t want to work. Any ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How do you know one cylinder is getting fuel?
If you take all the lines off the injection pump and crank the engine with fuel shut off on does one delivery valve still fountain?
Are you sure it's not a injector leaking down?
Or some other cause?

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
How do you know one cylinder is getting fuel?
If you take all the lines off the injection pump and crank the engine with fuel shut off on does one delivery valve still fountain?
Are you sure it's not a injector leaking down?
Or some other cause?
I have the motor on a stand right now and yeah injectors and tubing is all off. Two of the delivery valves shut off properly, one of them stay on. Injectors all work fine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have the motor on a stand right now and yeah injectors and tubing is all off. Two of the delivery valves shut off properly, one of them stay on. Injectors all work fine.
Then the injector pump more than likely has a damaged or cracked delivery valve.
You're better off getting a complete pump, or sending that to be rebuilt.
If you pull it make sure you save all the shims under the pump as that is the timing adjustment, and a new pump will use the same shims.

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
Then the injector pump more than likely has a damaged or cracked delivery valve.
You're better off getting a complete pump, or sending that to be rebuilt.
If you pull it make sure you save all the shims under the pump as that is the timing adjustment, and a new pump will use the same shims.
Lol i’ve already rebuilt it myself multiple times. I’ll just have to look around for a part number and replace the valve myself if I can’t get it to work I guess. Just glad they aren’t too hard to take apart 😂

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lol i’ve already rebuilt it myself multiple times. I’ll just have to look around for a part number and replace the valve myself if I can’t get it to work I guess. Just glad they aren’t too hard to take apart 😂
How did you set the fuel curve?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
GET THE WSM, or it will never run, or ever run properly!
You do not adjust anything on the engine, its factory set.
They have tamper resistant covers for a reason!
You can't set the fuel curve on the injection pump without proper equipment, that would be the tamper proof ( go figure ) screws on the top of the Injection pump.

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
You can't set the fuel curve on the injection pump without proper equipment, that would be the tamper proof ( go figure ) screws on the top of the Injection pump.
The one i’m talking about wasn't tamper proof. It had a bolt on it. I thought it was a fuel flow screw lol… maybe it was messed with before I got it. I got it from a junkyard a year ago

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
Also it seemed to run fine post adjustment to the screw on the pump, so idk. I didn’t touch the one on the governor yet

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
Just looked through the WSM, can’t find anything about what the screw on the injector pump does. Guess i’ll have to look around some more

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll back up because my words were a little harsh and might need some clarification.

On the top of the injection pump there are 6 screws that lock the delivery valves, those 6 screws are tamper proof screws, because they don't want you to take them off, the reason they don't want to take them off is because they are also an adjustment for the pump.

When you pull the delivery valves there are several fine adjustments that need to be done to get the pump in "time" or set the fuel "delivery curve", this needs to be done on a test bench, it's not something a DYI will be able to do.

Now for the real world of things, is it possible that the barrels are out of time, that's the part at the bottom that has the gears on them.
There is timing marks on the case and on the barrels, they must be aligned or it will not shut the fuel off.
If it's aligned then is the delivery pump (rod) in the right orientation, it can be 180 out and cause issues.

Don't mess with the screws or adjustments on the engine because that's not what's causing the fuel to not get shut off.
Get the pump right then is there is an issue with it running properly you can look at the other adjustments.
They normally will never be touched.

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
I'll back up because my words were a little harsh and might need some clarification.

On the top of the injection pump there are 6 screws that lock the delivery valves, those 6 screws are tamper proof screws, because they don't want you to take them off, the reason they don't want to take them off is because they are also an adjustment for the pump.

When you pull the delivery valves there are several fine adjustments that need to be done to get the pump in "time" or set the fuel "delivery curve", this needs to be done on a test bench, it's not something a DYI will be able to do.

Now for the real world of things, is it possible that the barrels are out of time, that's the part at the bottom that has the gears on them.
There is timing marks on the case and on the barrels, they must be aligned or it will not shut the fuel off.
If it's aligned then is the delivery pump (rod) in the right orientation, it can be 180 out and cause issues.

Don't mess with the screws or adjustments on the engine because that's not what's causing the fuel to not get shut off.
Get the pump right then is there is an issue with it running properly you can look at the other adjustments.
They normally will never be touched.
Okay, I get what you mean now. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are out of time now because I did remove the screws and replaced the O rings when I did the initial rebuild. I was pretty sure they were all on the same way though, I’ll have to take a look again I guess. But I mean the pump was working properly it just wasn’t shutting off. Thanks for clarifying though. Worst case I’ll just have to send it in to get redone. Still doesn’t solve my shutoff issue though.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Okay, I get what you mean now. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are out of time now because I did remove the screws and replaced the O rings when I did the initial rebuild. I was pretty sure they were all on the same way though, I’ll have to take a look again I guess. But I mean the pump was working properly it just wasn’t shutting off. Thanks for clarifying though. Worst case I’ll just have to send it in to get redone. Still doesn’t solve my shutoff issue though.
Reread the second part of what I wrote, it has some tips on what to look for.

kubota guy1265

Equipment
Kubota D1105
Mar 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
Reread the second part of what I wrote, it has some tips on what to look for.
Yep I see it now, thanks a lot. I’ll take it apart again tomorrow and make sure everything is aligned correctly. I guess i’ll have to see what I can do about the fuel curve though, might be best to just bring it in to my local Messicks lol

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep I see it now, thanks a lot. I’ll take it apart again tomorrow and make sure everything is aligned correctly. I guess i’ll have to see what I can do about the fuel curve though, might be best to just bring it in to my local Messicks lol
An independent shop will be cheaper. ;)

Reactions: 1 user