Cosmo tiller

dclauria

Equipment
Kubota L4060HSTC, L4479 snowblower, EA 60" grapple, LP GS2584, LP BB2572
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
I would like to purchase a tiller this spring - just for a small garden plot, and perhaps my father's down the street. It would only be used a couple of times a year, but sure save on the back operating a walk-behind. A couple of members have mentioned the Cosmo tillers on 3pointtiller.com - but there has been very little response. The price seems good (maybe too good) - $2400 for a 72" tiller, but the website doesn't give me much confidence. Does anyone have any comments or experience with these? Any comparison to Oregon ($2700) or CountyLine ($3100) currently priced on TSC website?
Thanks for your help.

dgtvrpepair

Equipment
L4760HSTC RTV-X1100c ZD1211L-72
Feb 10, 2020
Morrilton AR United States
I purchased a 72" cosmo about 3 years ago. I run it on my l4760hstc It has been great. I think it is better built than a lot of others. Very heavy steel, orange matches pretty good, and it fits an i-match and land pride quick hitch. I had a tractor supply 60" and it was not near the quality.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would like to purchase a tiller this spring - just for a small garden plot, and perhaps my father's down the street. It would only be used a couple of times a year, but sure save on the back operating a walk-behind. A couple of members have mentioned the Cosmo tillers on 3pointtiller.com - but there has been very little response. The price seems good (maybe too good) - $2400 for a 72" tiller, but the website doesn't give me much confidence. Does anyone have any comments or experience with these? Any comparison to Oregon ($2700) or CountyLine ($3100) currently priced on TSC website?
Thanks for your help.
I wonder who actually makes the "Cosmo" tiller?
I believe that County Line Tillers (TSC brand name) are made by Tarter Gate, but whatever the case, TSC is not known for top quality products.

Of course, for "couple of times a year" perhaps a top quality tiller is not necessary.
You might look into Agri Supply tillers.
They sell their made in Italy "Caroni" 72" tiller for $2099.99
I think that may truly be a bargain.

King Kutter tillers are made in the USA, and nearly all tillers made in the USA have gearboxes made in China.
A 72" King Kutter is being sold for $2999.00 by Blain's Fleet & Farm

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious
do you really need a 72" tiller ? I see you have a 60" snowblower, so I'm thinking your tractor's 60" wide ??
I run a 60" behind my D-14 (60" wide) and depending on the filed , the tiller can make the tractor work!
If you can use the 60", it should be easier to get in and out of tight spots, maybe even pickup a few jobs between home and your father's place !
I like 60". Tire impression becomes the footpath (no weeds) and makes 4' wide beds,just 2' to center from either footpath.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They say 20 to 50 tractor HP but they don't say what PTO HP???
They put their 60" at 25-40 tractor HP and 21 to 34 PTO HP.
For a 72" they are way off, there is no way a 20HP tractor will run a 72" tiller!
Everyone else puts there tillers with the same amount of teeth at 35-50 PTO HP.
You only have 32.5HP to deal with, so reasonably a 72" is going to work your tractor really HARD!
And that's with good soil anything else and it isn't happening!

You will get better mix and till out of a 60" max.

As far as 3pointtiller.com
I find it really hard to trust any company that will not say where they are at, in plain print right on their website!

3pointtiller.com which is really, Grills'n Ovens LLC. 2510 Warren Ave, Cheyenne, Wyoming, 82001, United States, yet they ship out of a warehouse in NJ.
A lot of flimflam and hiding behind multiple limited liability companies if you have an issue!

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd suggest finding a used one that's been barn stored, these things tend to have very low hours with small gardens. The cheap chinese ones would probably last if you have a small tilled garden. If you are constantly making new gardens breaking new ground it might be a different story

dclauria

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
Thank you for the input. Greensvillejay, your post made me realize I had the wrong snowblower model # listed. I actually have a L4479 snowblower, 74". I have turf tires, so I measured the rear tire width appox. 66". I've seen several posts recommending the tiller be wider than the rear tires, but if the consensus is that it's not that important, then I agree a smaller tiller would be easier to maneuver and save some money.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
dang 6' snowblower...you get some SERIOUS white !! You're similar width to me and really 5' tiller is all you need. If (IF ) you can find a used but not abused tiller, that'll cut costs, though I paid 2K for my used one, 10-12 years ago. They work so well and fast , you'll be looking for gardens to turn !

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
dang 6' snowblower...you get some SERIOUS white !! You're similar width to me and really 5' tiller is all you need. If (IF ) you can find a used but not abused tiller, that'll cut costs, though I paid 2K for my used one, 10-12 years ago. They work so well and fast , you'll be looking for gardens to turn !
2K for a used 5' tiller 10-12 years ago?
I sure hope at that price, back then, it was a Howard (quality) tiller.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It's some very,very well built Italian model, had been set to only go maybe 2" down and only an inch of green paint slightly wore off. DOM said it was 2 years old, so really just 2 seasons of very light use. About an hour after I got it home, I'd maxxed the depth,modified to fit my D-14 as was into the dirt. I've done acres of tilling with it, tines still look new ! It only stops when a softball sized rock 'magically' appears in ONE field that I do....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I wonder who actually makes the "Cosmo" tiller?
Cosmo SRL
Busca, Italy.

I have one of their 300# 3pt broadcast spreaders. Cosmo has been around for almost 40 years and are sold by a lot of US retailers including at one point TSC. I bought mine from TSC about 20 years ago

Dan

dclauria

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
I finally decided to ahead and order a 72" Cosmo tiller. $2399 - free shipping. I just wanted to post a few preliminary thoughts and pictures for others.
After ordering online, I did not get an email when it was shipped. After a week or so, I sent an email to the company stating that I was starting to worry about my purchase, and they responded with a tracking #. It took about 3 weeks from order to final delivery, but only because it sat at a local shipping depot for 4 days before delivery.
It arrived very well packaged, with hardly a scratch on it. I've never owned or used a 3-pt tiller before, but it seems very well built, and includes everything - including a set of tools and user manual in the bolt-on case. I was able to connect it to my Speeco Cat1 quick hitch, and the driveshaft fit (at least I think it's the right length - it's connected).

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

redtnsv

Equipment
BX2380
May 11, 2021
MI
I finally decided to ahead and order a 72" Cosmo tiller. $2399 - free shipping. I just wanted to post a few preliminary thoughts and pictures for others.
After ordering online, I did not get an email when it was shipped. After a week or so, I sent an email to the company stating that I was starting to worry about my purchase, and they responded with a tracking #. It took about 3 weeks from order to final delivery, but only because it sat at a local shipping depot for 4 days before delivery.
It arrived very well packaged, with hardly a scratch on it. I've never owned or used a 3-pt tiller before, but it seems very well built, and includes everything - including a set of tools and user manual in the bolt-on case. I was able to connect it to my Speeco Cat1 quick hitch, and the driveshaft fit (at least I think it's the right length - it's connected).
Any updates? Looking at there 48 inch for my bx

dclauria

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
Any updates? Looking at there 48 inch for my bx
I've had no issues so far. I used it several times last season to till under my garden for winter, and worked up a new area of lawn that I cleared. After I stalled my tractor once when I hit a root, I realized the slip clutch was too tight from the factory, and I had to take it apart and loosen it, but no damage done.

Reactions: 1 user

redtnsv

Equipment
BX2380
May 11, 2021
MI
I've had no issues so far. I used it several times last season to till under my garden for winter, and worked up a new area of lawn that I cleared. After I stalled my tractor once when I hit a root, I realized the slip clutch was too tight from the factory, and I had to take it apart and loosen it, but no damage done.
Thank you! It appears this is the exact same tiller sold under the brand name Ironcraft which I was also looking at.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have no use for a tiller but that's a nice one you got there. I'm a fan of Italian machinery having a Del Morino flail mower a German designed, Italian made espresso machine and an Italian coffee grinder. :LOL: Your tiller looks like typical Italian implement manufacturing i.e. well designed and well made. I say "looks like" since I don't know where it was made but the Italians make a lot of nice implements.