How to properly size a culvert for Drainage ditch..?

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
One of my projects for this summer is to put a culvert pipe in this ditch / low area and make it where i can drive my tractor across it.
It's not really a fast flowing ditch, but the whole low area is real soft.... even in the summer.
I want to put the culvert in, basically right where the 4 wheeler is.
But.... not sure what diameter I can get away with so it won't wash out.
Any input on sizing is appreciated...!

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you want to do it just ONCE, toss in a 24" . The important details are getting rocks upstream as a 'V' to direct all the water into the culvert .Use at least a 12' section (20' is std ). The wider the access, the more stable it'll be over the next 3-5 decades....

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you want to do it just ONCE, toss in a 24" . The important details are getting rocks upstream as a 'V' to direct all the water into the culvert .Use at least a 12' section (20' is std ). The wider the access, the more stable it'll be over the next 3-5 decades....

I would suggest a 20ft 20" or 24" steel culvert, as you can likely get by with only a foot of cover if using steel.
20" dia. should be sufficient, as you describe the water to be not fast flowing.
You will need a LOT of fill though, to build up the access at either side of the culvert pipe.

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Why metal over black plastic...?
And... why such a long length...... i was hopeing to get by with a 1/2 section : 10'

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
And... why such a long length...... i was hopeing to get by with a 1/2 section : 10'
Stronger. Culverts are like gate openings and pole buildings...they are always too small

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I prefer the plastic ones myself. They don't rust out on the bottom from standing water.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

Whatever the length you use, you'll get a few feet less of usable driving area. The edges won't be safe to drive on. (Unless you build concrete walls at each end, I guess.)

These old adages apply here with enthusiasm:

• Go big or go home.
  • Do it right, do it once.
  • Pay now or pay later.

As for strength, I'm not sure the plastic takes a back seat to metal. The new stuff is pretty strong, but then, I haven't done a comparison of the numbers.

If you go plastic, get the dual wall HDPE plastic . The smooth inside won't trap water and debris like corrugations will, and won't provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I prefer the plastic ones myself. They don't rust out on the bottom from standing water.
I prefer the plastic culverts too (I wrote the steel culvert response) but.....
as I pointed out, the steel culverts require less cover, because they are stronger.

Poly culverts are much more easily crushed!
Whatever the culvert type, there will be a need for a lot of material to be trucked in to make that very wide (low) wet crossing usable.
Why haul in it any more material than absolutely necessary?

10 ft. pipe length, with the necessary cover may provide for a 6' crossing width (more, if the OP uses rock for wing walls).
If 6' crossing width is enough, then go for it.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It really depends on what you really want to accomplish.
I would rather do (2) 12" sections 10 feet long than one 24", Less digging, less filling.
A two foot tall piece of pipe take a lot of work to setup and over fill.
I do plastic pipe, plenty strong enough, I have semi trucks over mine all the time.
Easy to work with and doesn't rust out!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would rather do (2) 12" sections 10 feet long than one 24", Less digging, less filling.
I do plastic pipe, plenty strong enough, I have semi trucks over mine all the time.
The only issue with the 2-12" Culvert's is less flow than one 24" line.

2- 12" Culvert's equal around the equivalent of one 18" Culvert in regards to flow.

I wonder if it would be better to form up each side and install a cattle guard instead. Granted, that's a more expensive and labor intensive project.
Guess he'll have to get his wife on the phone with a stop watch down stream. Drop a marshmallow in up stream and calculate the flow rate.

I'm sure there's a YouTube video on how to do it 😁😁😁😁😁

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Poly pipe is excellent, but the OP will need to use a lot more cover fill if using poly pipe.
Running a semi truck over poly pipe with 12" of cover is not the same as running that semi truck over steel pipe with 12" of cover.
More cover material means more dirt hauling for the entire approach, and departure.
2-12" diameter pipes will work, but small branches/trash will plug smaller pipe readily...even if there are two pipes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree with both of you, flow will be less.
But just from his pic's it looks like it would take a lot of fill to get a 2 foot culvert in and a foot of cover.
Also a 2 foot pipe is $1000 give or take, and a 12" is $300 give or take, so I'll deal with cleaning out the opening a few times to make up for that.
This is all based on being a secondary temporary use drive.

If it was a main driveway access then:
16' min width 20' is better!
Then take the average depth multiplied by the average width to obtain the cross-sectional area and divide by four to determine the rough diameter of pipe needed to pass the average storm. The diameter of pipe(s) used must add up to the total diameter needed without using a pipe taller than the average depth

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You also need to consider how wide the stream is where you want to cross. If you collect a wide slow moving stream into a narrow channel it will have to speed up and then when it exits the narrow channel it will start to dig a narrow channel below the exit point. Then you will have a gully that will expand downward the flow path. I would say you will need to use several smaller diameter culverts but I am no civil engineer either.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Find someone scrapping some flat bed trucks. Can often get a bed fairly reasonable. Build up for each end and lay it in place. A 14' or 16' bed would make a nice bridge.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
After years of experience with stream crossings on logging roads, I have a few thoughts. One culvert isn’t going to be sufficient for the width you want to span. You have 3 options:

1. Multiple culverts spanning the width of the swale with lots of rock fill. I mean a lot of fill.
2. Hardened wet water crossing (these never wash out if done correctly). Construct a base of larger rock across the wet area, extending onto dry soil. Then top that with three inch rock to make a roadbed that will support the machine as you drive through the water.
3. Some kind of bridge section (flatbed trailers work well).

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Old railroad flat-cars are even better (than flat trailers) for making a bridge. They have heavier trusses.

That water appears to have little or no movement, so approaches to either culverts OR bridgework will be required. If you can locate any building or hauling outfit who needs to rid themselves of construction-rubble… and needs a place to dump it…..

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I agree with both of you, flow will be less.
But just from his pic's it looks like it would take a lot of fill to get a 2 foot culvert in and a foot of cover.
Also a 2 foot pipe is $1000 give or take, and a 12" is $300 give or take, so I'll deal with cleaning out the opening a few times to make up for that.
This is all based on being a secondary temporary use drive.

If it was a main driveway access then:
16' min width 20' is better!
Then take the average depth multiplied by the average width to obtain the cross-sectional area and divide by four to determine the rough diameter of pipe needed to pass the average storm. The diameter of pipe(s) used must add up to the total diameter needed without using a pipe taller than the average depth
The bonus with poly is he can by a 20ft stick and cut it with a chainsaw.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My vote would be double walled plastic pipe. Its plenty strong and the smooth inside is very beneficial in slow/low flow conditions. And no, you will not need much cover to drive your tractor over it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The bonus with poly is he can by a 20ft stick and cut it with a chainsaw.
There should not be a need to cut any type of 20' pipe for that proposed application.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
One of my projects for this summer is to put a culvert pipe in this ditch / low area and make it where i can drive my tractor across it.
It's not really a fast flowing ditch, but the whole low area is real soft.... even in the summer.
I want to put the culvert in, basically right where the 4 wheeler is.
But.... not sure what diameter I can get away with so it won't wash out.
Any input on sizing is appreciated...!
Before I decided to build a bridge, I considered a culvert. I found a site using Google that sizes culverts based on the drainage area it services, design rainfall, etc. Try searching 'culvert sizing' or 'how to size culvert'.
Use 12" bare minimum to reduce plugging. And set the bottom of the culvert 3-4" below the ditch invert. It'll fill up a little to match the bottom of the ditch.