Any 23x8.5-12 wheels/rims in 4 bolt?

Caribookubota

Equipment
B6100D
Feb 28, 2023
BC
Hello all.

I’m upgrading my B6100D tires and wheels, and I’m going with R4s. I have chosen the tires that match my 4wd ratio, and I need to upgrade my front (and rear) rims to handle 23x8.5-12 tires (10x16.5 rear). My issue is while it’s easy enough to find matching rear rims, I don’t know of any rims that will work for that tire that are 4 bolt that match the front hubs of the b6100. Most are 5 or 6 bolt rims.

does anyone know of 4 bolt rims that fit the b6100 and a 23x8.5-12 tires?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Caribookubota

Equipment
B6100D
Feb 28, 2023
BC
If you can't find what you want, these people will make it for you to your specifications. Give them a call, they can work wonders and make what they can't fix. http://www.stocktonwheel.com/
Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I need to go this route, but it’s nice to know it’s there. I know user smokinhart has done this tire setup as described in this thread: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...-4x4-with-new-threads-and-shoes.164995/page-3

So I know these rims are out there, I just don’t know what front rims he used, and from where.

I see a JD2025 uses 23x8.5-12 front wheels that are 4 lug, but I’m not totally sure that the hub and bolt pattern matches.

Caribookubota

Equipment
B6100D
Feb 28, 2023
BC
curious

what's the bolt circle and center hole of the front rims ?
They're a 4x100mm bolt pattern with 70mm hubs. 4x100 is probably one of the most common patterns in import car wheels ever, but finding a tractor wheel in that pattern and 23x8.50-12 seems to be pretty difficult.

Caribookubota

Equipment
B6100D
Feb 28, 2023
BC
I'm starting to think at this point it might be much easier going with 4x100 to 5x114.3 hub adapters. Would also give a slight wheel spacer effect and improve front end stability with a loader too. Just a thought.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm 100mm dang close to 4 inches, but width of rim (bead ?) might be a challenge but....
what about ATV rims ?? They HAVE to be Metric !

Caribookubota

Equipment
B6100D
Feb 28, 2023
BC
hmm 100mm dang close to 4 inches, but width of rim (bead ?) might be a challenge but....
what about ATV rims ?? They HAVE to be Metric !
4" bolt pattern and 4x100mm are one and the same. They're interchangeable. For a 23x8.5-12 tire, you want a 12x7 rim. So I need a 12x7 rim in 4x100/4x4" bolt pattern with a 70mm/2.75" centre bore.

There are a million garden tractor rims that almost fit this requirement, they're just 5x114.3/5x4.5" bolt pattern, so an adapter might be the way to go here. Adapters are like $300 for a pair though so it'll get expensive really quickly since I plan on upgrading the rear hubs too. Could be as high as $2k for adapters, hubs, wheels, and tires all said and done if done this way. Not a sum of money to just throw around without some thought behind it. The nice thing about this route is I can probably find a selection of 5x4.5" tractor wheels laying around in some junkyard.

Last edited:

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
4" bolt pattern and 4x100mm are one and the same. They're interchangeable. For a 23x8.5-12 tire, you want a 12x7 rim. So I need a 12x7 rim in 4x100/4x4" bolt pattern with a 70mm/2.75" centre bore.

There are a million garden tractor rims that almost fit this requirement, they're just 5x114.3/5x4.5" bolt pattern, so an adapter might be the way to go here. Adapters are like $300 for a pair though so it'll get expensive really quickly since I plan on upgrading the rear hubs too. Could be as high as $2k for adapters, hubs, wheels, and tires all said and done if done this way. Not a sum of money to just throw around without some thought behind it. The nice thing about this route is I can probably find a selection of 5x4.5" tractor wheels laying around in some junkyard.
4x4" and 4x100mm are NOT the exact same. 4x4" is closer to 102mm, which is enough to make the studs hit the edges of the holes on the rim and not want to slide through. However, it is usually pretty easy to fix. You can either tilt your press-in studs slightly by putting a nut on them and then tapping them back (ie un-seating them from hub slightly) and then tapping them sideways to put a slight tilt on them, or you can enlarge the wheel holes. These factory tractor front rims didn't even use a tapered seat, they just used a flat nut and washer, so even a not-properly-centered conical lug is good enough for this <8mph application. Ive done this on a lawn tractor i added 4x4" hubs too, works fine.

I have an early B7100 with 12" 4x100 rims. They do exist, but most B7100s have the newer 6bolt front.

4x100 to 5x114.3 adapters are fine, and they're actually around $30/ea at cheapest if you shop carefully. I've driven over 100mph, done drag launches on slicks, and towed trailers on the cheapest chinesium wheel adapters i could find and never had a problem. I probably own 20-30 total wheel adapters between all my vehicles that have them. Just buy the cheapest thing.

One downside of spacers is they increase your scrub radius, which can majorly increase your steering effort on a loader tractor with no power steering. If you don't have a loader, no problem!

One super easy option you may not like, is just to get some 12" 4lug trailer wheels. They are technically too narrow for anything but a 6-12 (that's a tire size) tire, but the downsides of squeezing a tire onto a too-narrow rim are also very minor on a tractor compared to a car. I have some 25x9-12 ATV tires mounted on some 12" trailer rims, for example. Drive tires on a golf cart in that case. But you definitely could mount a 23x8.5x12 on a narrow trailer rim. It will not look all that great, but you'd be hard pressed to MEASURE a performance deficit resulting from it, on a tiny tractor application!

But, if you really do want to run a full 7" wide 12" rim on front, the easiest thing would be to buy some 12" golf cart 4x4" wheels and either modify the lug studs or the holes in the wheel slightly. Like these:
$49/ea

Reactions: 1 user

Caribookubota

Equipment
B6100D
Feb 28, 2023
BC
Hey Vigo, thanks for the information. Also thanks for the correction on the 4x4/4x100 point. I measured with my calipers and did a quick conversion and figured they're close enough that they're probably the same. Interesting to hear they're not.

I have an early B7100 with 12" 4x100 rims. They do exist, but most B7100s have the newer 6bolt front.
Oh really? That's interesting to me. My Kubota user manual shows the B7100D using 20.5x8.00-12 tires (turf wheels) on the front. Maybe there's a difference with the HST model? I do know that the early B7100s came in 4 bolt but I didn't know if they ever came with 12" front wheels. Both the AG wheels on the B7100 and B1600 are 12x6", but I wasn't confident that narrow of a rim would handle 8.5" wide tires.

4x100 to 5x114.3 adapters are fine, and they're actually around $30/ea at cheapest if you shop carefully. I've driven over 100mph, done drag launches on slicks, and towed trailers on the cheapest chinesium wheel adapters i could find and never had a problem. I probably own 20-30 total wheel adapters between all my vehicles that have them. Just buy the cheapest thing.

One downside of spacers is they increase your scrub radius, which can majorly increase your steering effort on a loader tractor with no power steering. If you don't have a loader, no problem!
Wow where are you finding spacers that cheap? Everything I'm finding on eBay and other places they want $150-200 shipped (Canadian) per spacer! At $30 I wouldn't even bother looking for 4x100 wheels and go straight to the more common 5x114.3/5x4.5.

Agreed on the strength consideration. They're find on road cars; I'm not concerned about them on a 1000lb compact tractor. Scrub radius is a good point to bring up. I do plan on adding power steering anyway since I'm building a loader for it so it's not a huge issue to me, but it's good point out.

One super easy option you may not like, is just to get some 12" 4lug trailer wheels.
Yeah I'm not interested in that unfortunately. I do plan on doing a mild restoration on this tractor. I plan on fixing what needs fixing, repairing what needs repairing, and cleaning up and re-painting everything. Basically stopping short of rebuilding any of the drivetrain since it's in great condition and doesn't need it. Because I plan on making her pretty again I want to stick with tractor/agricultural style wheels purely for aesthetic reasons.

If I was in the US I'd strongly be considering buying both of these as a set and adapting the fronts with 2" spaced adapters.

Rear: https://www.millertire.com/products...eel-with-tr-501-valve-stem-fits-10-16-5-tire/
Front: https://www.millertire.com/products/wheels-by-type/lawn-garden-wheels/12x-7-5-hole-wheel-6-backside/

Last edited:

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
As far as i know ALL hst 7100s would be 6 lug front as theyre all newer and any 4 lug front 7100 would be gear trans. Dont know on year breakdown..

Ok, im seeing what youre saying about 4x100 to 5x114.3 in particular because there’s no good way to overlap the two patterns without some extra pieces/hardware so the cheapest im seeing is $50/ea for a 1pc design and $60/ea for a 2pc design. This is a screenshot from ebay:
BD72FCFE-2D51-49DE-B14C-64A765F209CE.png

2” is a big spacer, though. Would probably want a high positive offset aka large backspace wheel to avoid ending up with a crapload of steering effort until you get your power steering done.

Caribookubota

Equipment
B6100D
Feb 28, 2023
BC
Wow, you know what, I didn't even think about the cost difference being because of the two piece design. So obvious but I missed that.

I called my local JD dealer yesterday and asked about the JD2025R wheels that are indeed 4 bolt, and they're (I think) 4x137mm. Going with a 4x100 to 4x137 adapter is significantly cheaper; $70 for a pair. It seems so obvious now but finding a modern 4xWhatever wheel might be the cheapest route by a long shot if I can find something used and use one piece adapters.

2” is a big spacer, though. Would probably want a high positive offset aka large backspace wheel to avoid ending up with a crapload of steering effort until you get your power steering done.
Yeah the wheels from Miller I linked have a 2.25in offset, so in theory the scrub radius would be less than stock on those. It would be ideal, but I'm not paying $1000cdn for wheels from the US that I need to blast and powder coat still. If I can find some local wheels I'd be set.

Last edited:

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Yeah 4x100 is basically the 2nd cheapest bolt pattern in the world next to 4x4” (because that one is full of tiny steel wheels from yard equipment and golf carts). I wouldnt pay a ‘premium’ of any sort for tiny 4 lug wheels for a tractor! They SHOULD be cheap!

Also, the tractor has a 70mm ‘hub bore’ but that ‘hub ring’ is only like 3mm tall. Even if you cant find a 4x100 adapter or wheel with a 70+mm bore (probably can..) you could put a 3-5mm wheel spacer or 4 washers on behind the wheel/adapter and it would be enough o clear that little hub surface.

b454rat

Equipment
B7100HST
Dec 10, 2022
Windsor NY
I have a B7100 HST with 4 lug/10" front wheels. I planning on upsizing my tires from the current 20.5s front, 29x12.5x15 rear, to 23x10.5x12s front and 31x15.5x15 rears. I bought wheel centers from Millertire.com, still need the "outer" part of the wheel, but not in a hurry. The rear centers fit fine, the front's fit the lugs fine, but the center bore is lil too small, so need to open it up to fit the hub. I have plenty of 12" rims from garden tractors, just gonna cut the centers out and center the disc n weld er in....

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
^ Cool project!

I can't remember my exact front tire size (10" wheel) but i believe it is a 22" diameter, and it's an ATV tire.

On the rear i went from 29x12.5x15 to 31x13.5x15 after much deliberation. I was originally considering 31x15.5x15 and somewhat wish i had gone that way. I like the 31x13.5 just fine but the 15.5s look cooler and can weigh a lot more on their own, plus hold more liquid.

I have 10" front with soft ATV tires on my 6100 and 12" front with 6-12s on a couple of others (7100 for sale, 8200 im keeping, friends 6100 im fixing up) and i like the 10" and soft front tire a lot more due to ride quality. But, the skinny 6-12s have lower steering effort. I have not run a 23x10.5 on front and suspect steering effort would be same or higher as my ATV fronts.

I found a set of 8" rims in my pile that fits on front (requires low backspace, sticks out a good bit) and may consider a 22" tire for the 8s some time in the future just to see if i can push that ride quality aspect to the max.