Who's Using a Trickle Charger / Battery Tender?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
There is ZERO risk of overcharging any of your batteries when using a Noco Genius 2 maintenance charger.
Perhaps... But I'm frugal AKA Cheap and see no reason to leave it on and drawing juice all winter when it's handy to flip a light switch that runs that set of plugs and top them off overnight on the 1st of each month.
To each their own but that's what works for me.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My L3560 LE is only a year old and thus has a newish battery still. I don't really use the tractor much during the winter and winters here are relatively mild, at least compared to those way up north. I am wondering if I should get a trickle charger / battery tender to maintain my tractor battery over the longer periods of inactivity? Thoughts or suggestions from long time tractor owners please. Thxs.
I have TWELVE Battery Tenders/Battery Minders!
I spend 6 months of each year away from all those batteries.
I get amazing life out of my batteries!
I have one battery that just completed 12 years!

It would be quite difficult for me to "flip a light switch" once a month, when I am 1,500 miles away for 6 months.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Perhaps... But I'm frugal AKA Cheap and see no reason to leave it on and drawing juice all winter when it's handy to flip a light switch that runs that set of plugs and top them off overnight on the 1st of each month.
To each their own but that's what works for me.
You May be saving a FEW pennies each month.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I run a Deka battery tender and like it. I have 175A quick connectors installed on all my machines. It's handy for charging, jump-starting and winch connection. It also keeps you out of the line of fire when jumping.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
This is a related but probably dumb question. Is there a way to figure out how long you would need to operate your tractor to fully charge a battery? I realize there are a lot of variables there - but I have never used a Tender on my tractor but also have never even had a problem starting it, even when its around 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I only use it 1-2 times per month but when I do I run it for 2-4 hours so I guess I must be charging my battery enough? Or am I heading for an eventual disaster? My tractor is not parked anywhere near electricity.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Depends on your definition of "fully charged".

For me it means the cells have reached saturation, which I don't think is possible while the battery is being used. Not without heavily overcharging anyway, which brings its own deleterious effects.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Is there a way to figure out how long you would need to operate your tractor to fully charge a battery?

yes ,you need to know the specs of the battery including age/condition and the charging system specs. A high output alternator can recharge a battery very fast, it's all 'in the details', could be just a few minutes.
Keep in mind that 'battery tenders / maintainers' are usually smart trickle chargers. They disconnect after the battery is charge HOWEVER they only supply 2-5 amps (need to read the datasheet on them !) and the instructions usually say something as a disclaimer that they are not 'chargers', at least in the old school sense. Every 'tender/maintainer' lists their specs and you need to read them....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: Is there a way to figure out how long you would need to operate your tractor to fully charge a battery?

yes ,you need to know the specs of the battery including age/condition and the charging system specs. A high output alternator can recharge a battery very fast, it's all 'in the details', could be just a few minutes.
Keep in mind that 'battery tenders / maintainers' are usually smart trickle chargers. They disconnect after the battery is charge HOWEVER they only supply 2-5 amps (need to read the datasheet on them !) and the instructions usually say something as a disclaimer that they are not 'chargers', at least in the old school sense. Every 'tender/maintainer' lists their specs and you need to read them....
"supply 2-5 amps" ?
Not so much!
I have a bunch of 'em, and none charge more than 2 amps.
Many of mine are .75 amp Battery Tenders, and they seem to do the job of keeping even full size car batteries up to snuff.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
In the mid 80's I was using the Gates SLA's that were on US Nuke subs(OK, slightly 'derated' ) but.. if you followed the Gates 'bible' on how to charge and use them, you'd easily get 7+ years out of them. The 5.4AH units would start and run a 'real' Mini Cooper too !
Most 'tenders' are designed to be used as 'fancy ' trickle maintainers NOT 'chargers', will turn on-off as required to 'maintain' a fully charged battery.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Got tenders on the generator driver, Miata and spare battery for gate/generator. Be selling the Miata on Tuesday. Might move to the tractor since it will sit more with purchase of the RTV 520. Can leave clipped on battery with quick connect outside the hood.

Oh, there's one on the Tacoma. Rarely drive it, only when we need a truck, about 1k/yr. Neither of us like driving it: too damn big. Have a Maverick on order.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Me to i like them a lot better than Battery Tenders
That Amazon NOCO Genius listing is at a good price too!
I just ordered two, to add to my collection, of Battery Tenders, and Battery Minders.
I like having spares of many things!

The one amp Battery Tenders have a 10 year warranty, but that does not include shipping both ways.
Cheaper to just throw them away, and buy something else.
I no longer buy the 1 amp Battery Tenders!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I used one of these in my garage for the Kubota. Battery Tender 4.5 Amp SuperSmart Battery Charger & Maintainer | Costco
I also have it connected to a smart plug so from inside the house I can simply turn it off or on at will with my phone :D
Seems to work great BTW
I have seen those at my local COSTCO for the last few weeks.
IMHO a $49.99 - 4.5 amp maintenance charger is price overkill, when .75 amp. will actually do the necessary maintenance job.
The NOCO Genius 1 amp charger at under $30 (post #74) is really a great deal.

I do not quite understand just why people want to turn these little maintenance chargers "on or off at will".
These chargers are self regulating, and AUTOMATICALLY turn themselves on and off as required, to maintain battery.

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I have seen those at my local COSTCO for the last few weeks.
IMHO a $49.99 - 4.5 amp maintenance charger is price overkill, when .75 amp. will actually do the necessary maintenance job.
The NOCO Genius 1 amp charger at under $30 (post #74) is really a great deal.

I do not quite understand just why people want to turn these little maintenance chargers "on or off at will".
These chargers are self regulating, and AUTOMATICALLY turn themselves on and off as required, to maintain battery.
The last one I had was one of those so called "cheapies". Lasted about 90 days and died. Tried a regular charger with the smart plug. This one from Costco I got on sale for $33. My only regret was not buying 2.
But even at it's regular $46 price it's a darn far cry better than anything else I have found. Yeah I could have bought the smaller version with IIRC 1 amp but everywhere I looked they cost more than I paid for this one. So what is the problem?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: So what is the problem?

From my viewpoint, no one wants to make anything anymore.....

My automatic charger/maintainer costs $2 per battery 'station', each station (SCR,resistor, zener and LED) can charge up to 10 amps, any combination up to 25 amps total draw from the 'transformer/rectifer' section ( 10 batteries at 2A, 5 @4, etc). Transformer was free (BNIB LED lighting unit). Not as fancy looking as the store bought units but does what I need to to do, keep 10 batteries 'ready for action'.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
its about something ze germans call Kontrol. Found a youtube that 'splains it; only 5 minutes long... listen closely to the lyrics. All shall be revealed: