Buying a UTV

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Thinking the Kubota 520 is probably the best choice for what we need. Has hydraulic transmission.

Most use CVT transmissions that don't hold well going downhill. Honda has gears, but must have a centrifugal clutch. How does it hold going downhill?

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I have a 2014 RTV-X900, it's been a workhorse. It is such a capable machine, and plenty fast. Don't need to pull a downed tree or haul a load of gravel 40mph. Love it

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Thinking the Kubota 520 is probably the best choice for what we need. Has hydraulic transmission.

Most use CVT transmissions that don't hold well going downhill. Honda has gears, but must have a centrifugal clutch. How does it hold going downhill?
The Honda 500/520 has good engine braking going down hill. I’m not sure about the other models.

Mike

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Thanks, guys. Might look at both the Kawasaki and the Honda. Can siphon fuel from our pickup and wouldn't need to keep a separate gas container around. Got some gas oil left over from when we still had gas stuff, M1 5w30. EVs seem to be so hard to find and are pricey. Diesels even more so.

Depending on the make and model of pickup or car some vehicles have a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. I just hook up a fuel pressure gauge and use the volume button to fuel my lawn mower up(zip tie to hold button down and egg timer) and clean off work bench(I swear my family has something against a clean and empty work bench).

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The other thing that Honda has done is to equip it with a very modern "manual" transmission - the activation of which is all automatic. While it uses a clutch and gears, shifting is commanded by the computer. It has proven to be VERY reliable.
Sounds interesting! I have to wonder if it's similar to Volkswagen's clutchless manual they had on the classic Beetles way back when.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
CVTs have been around a few years. Their track record is not impressive. Maybe someday, but I wouldn't touch one right now.
Yeah, just a few. Maybe we should wait until they are proven. :D. Fwiw, my Polaris uses a CVT. I've only had it 5 1/2 years, so maybe it will start being impressive soon.

In 1879, Milton Reeves invented a CVT (then called a variable-speed transmission) for use in sawmilling. In 1896, Reeves began fitting this transmission to his cars, and the Reeves CVT was also used by several other manufacturers. The 1911 Zenith Gradua 6HP motorcycle used a pulley-based Gradua CVT.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I worked at an auto company that went to CVTs in all but pickup trucks. This was for fuel economy . The initial tuning wasn't good (engine screaming , but poor acceleration) but that was corrected. A lot of Customers hated the CVT (snowmobile feel) transmission, so the company programmed fake shift points to mimic a standard automatic trans. After the re-tuning, I thought the acceleration, engine RPMs and fuel economy were good. Most of the Customer complaints went away after the fake shift points went in.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I worked at an auto company that went to CVTs in all but pickup trucks. This was for fuel economy . The initial tuning wasn't good (engine screaming , but poor acceleration) but that was corrected. A lot of Customers hated the CVT (snowmobile feel) transmission, so the company programmed fake shift points to mimic a standard automatic trans. After the re-tuning, I thought the acceleration, engine RPMs and fuel economy were good. Most of the Customer complaints went away after the fake shift points went in.
Yeah, they annoy me. What annoys me even more is that in theory a CVT lets the computer run the revs at the optimum for power, or optimum for economy. And then they program it to fake a slush box to make people happy. So now we have a crappy gearbox that's unsatisfying that was at least economical and/or fast, and they've turned it into a crappy gearbox that's unsatisfying that isn't even economical/fast.

2650fan

Equipment
B2650TLB
Jun 28, 2022
CT
Kawasaki Mule here…with electric dump bed, spacers all around and swapped out tires for a bigger size. My wife loves it for gardening around property.
I know not the fastest or baddest looking, but gets the job done around here all in at about $14k new
9DDF8D62-2C63-4CDC-9ED8-5E244AD6D7A6.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
After many years of snowmobiling I grew to really like the CVT transmissions in them; they worked great with high-performance two-stroke engines. When it came time to purchase a 'quad', I had the choice of 6-speed manual (with auto clutch) or an 'auto', which had a snowmobile-like CVT. I went with the CVT and have run that quad for 20+ years trouble-free; I mainly use it for snowplowing my 300 ft paved driveway and for summer outdoor chores & exploring.

I've never been at a loss for power (500cc single cylinder water cooled 4-stroke) and the CVT auto trans has been wonderful for my usage. The only issue I've ever noticed is an occasional 'chirp' from the belt compartment when under hard acceleration from a stop, not really an issue at all. My transmission does offer some downhill engine braking, although it's never been a requirement with F&R disc brakes.

I consider the CVT to be an ingenious invention, quite reliable and entirely suitable for the applications it's primarily found on, such as off-road utility vehicles. (y)

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yeah, just a few. Maybe we should wait until they are proven. :D. Fwiw, my Polaris uses a CVT. I've only had it 5 1/2 years, so maybe it will start being impressive soon.
One person's experience does not constitute a track record. It's just one person's experience.

The track record of CVTs is not impressive.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
One person's experience does not constitute a track record. It's just one person's experience.

The track record of CVTs is not impressive.
Fair. What's your sample size, and what do you call impressive?

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I also have a can am defender hd10. Been a great unit so far and I have pulled logs from the bush and asked it to do way more then most would out of it. I use it almost daily in the summers for working. I thought about going with a Honda for the actual transmission over the cvt but I figured it’s much cheaper to replace a belt then a transmission. Just my 2 cents. And for the record I’m still riding on the factory belt from 19. Gearing is great lots of speed and in work mode lots of power for pulling. Love my defender.

• Love

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
I was thinking I read somewhere recently that Kubota was going to discontinue its utility vehicles. Is this the case?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
So, to all the CVT anti's please tell your stories of disaster. In the 25+years of running them and owning over 20 sled's, ATV's and UTV's . I've had one failure and that one was ALL ME; I Blew a belt on a Snowmachine after I got it wadded up in drain culvert.
Changed the belt after I got the sled out and carried on.

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
A CVT works great on my UTV, even with oversized wheels and tires, high horsepower, and extreme driving conditions. In 5 years, I have had next to no problems from my CVT, aside from 1 belt changeout.

97B4DFCD-9AE0-4131-AC43-490D6942BA97.jpeg