RTV 900 Broken Glow Plug Removal

Woodsguy

Equipment
RTV 900 XT, ZD21 Mower
Dec 10, 2022
Oregon
I bought an RTV 900 with about 4500 hrs on it about 6 months ago. Of course it ran good all summer long and then developed a hard start problem in the winter. I did some testing and determined that it need glow plugs and ordered new NGK Glow Plugs. After removing the 2 rear glow plugs with no issues, the #1 plug snapped off at the threads a little bit above the head. I was considering buying one of the removal kits online and also considering welding a nut on the top to try and remove. Has anyone had any luck removing these?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have had the best luck using a Snap-On extractor. I have the Master Kit that has about 19 or 20 extractors. It is expensive to purchase the complete set, and there are other vendors that sell the same product. If you can determine the size that you will need, you can purchase just that one part directly from Snap-On.
Bolt extractor.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Before trying any type of extraction tools, I'd suggest blowing out the crevice and soaking with a good penetrant, install the other glow plugs and warm the engine up. As always do as you feel is best, when installing I prefer applying anti-seize.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have had the best luck using a Snap-On extractor. I have the Master Kit that has about 19 or 20 extractors. It is expensive to purchase the complete set, and there are other vendors that sell the same product. If you can determine the size that you will need, you can purchase just that one part directly from Snap-On. View attachment 91987 .
Amazon has a.... NEIKO 042041A.... kit for $40.99.
Kit has a few additional sizes, and has very good reviews.

Reactions: 1 users

Woodsguy

Equipment
RTV 900 XT, ZD21 Mower
Dec 10, 2022
Oregon
I have had the best luck using a Snap-On extractor. I have the Master Kit that has about 19 or 20 extractors. It is expensive to purchase the complete set, and there are other vendors that sell the same product. If you can determine the size that you will need, you can purchase just that one part directly from Snap-On. View attachment 91987 .
Thanks for the Recommendation. Had you ever used these extractors to specifically remove a broken glow plug?

Woodsguy

Equipment
RTV 900 XT, ZD21 Mower
Dec 10, 2022
Oregon
Before trying any type of extraction tools, I'd suggest blowing out the crevice and soaking with a good penetrant, install the other glow plugs and warm the engine up. As always do as you feel is best, when installing I prefer applying anti-seize.
Yes absolutely I did install antisieze on the new glowplugs, I don't want to be fighting these the next time they need to be replaced. I Blew out around the stuck glow plug before using some pb blaster.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks for the Recommendation. Had you ever used these extractors to specifically remove a broken glow plug?
In all the years that I have owned diesel engines, I have never had a glow plug go bad, so the answer is no. I have used these extractors to remove broken spark plugs and broken bolts that I had drilled holes into, and most of the time they have worked very well. Occasionally I have had to put some heat on the offending part to break it loose, and for that, I use an oxy/acetylene torch. There is no one way that works for everyone, and a lot of what works best for one person doesn't work for another. You have to have a "feel" for the tool to know when the tool is working, and when it isn't and it is best to stop and try another method. I have seen too many people break an extractor off because they didn't have a feel for when to stop and remove the extractor. I remember breaking off an extractor when I was working on my 1954 Willys, and having to take the front wheel hub off and take it to the machine shop to have the broken extractor extracted along with the broken bolts. While plowing the nuts worked loose and snapped off the studs on the 4-wheel drive hub. I learned a valuable lesson that day, not to be in a hurry, and to know when to stop and ask for help from someone more knowledgeable.

Woodsguy

Equipment
RTV 900 XT, ZD21 Mower
Dec 10, 2022
Oregon
In all the years that I have owned diesel engines, I have never had a glow plug go bad, so the answer is no. I have used these extractors to remove broken spark plugs and broken bolts that I had drilled holes into, and most of the time they have worked very well. Occasionally I have had to put some heat on the offending part to break it loose, and for that, I use an oxy/acetylene torch. There is no one way that works for everyone, and a lot of what works best for one person doesn't work for another. You have to have a "feel" for the tool to know when the tool is working, and when it isn't and it is best to stop and try another method. I have seen too many people break an extractor off because they didn't have a feel for when to stop and remove the extractor. I remember breaking off an extractor when I was working on my 1954 Willys, and having to take the front wheel hub off and take it to the machine shop to have the broken extractor extracted along with the broken bolts. While plowing the nuts worked loose and snapped off the studs on the 4-wheel drive hub. I learned a valuable lesson that day, not to be in a hurry, and to know when to stop and ask for help from someone more knowledgeable.
Yeah that's exactly why I am here asking for some ideas before I go making the problem alot worse. Given how small the diameter of the glow plug is I was really considering try to weld a nut on top of it first but then I am a bit concerned that welding the nut might not work and Might make it more difficult to drill out later and try an easy out. Of course I am trying to avoid removing the head or even worse damaging the head. Then again who knows maybe I weld a nut on there and it comes right out.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yeah that's exactly why I am here asking for some ideas before I go making the problem alot worse. Given how small the diameter of the glow plug is I was really considering try to weld a nut on top of it first but then I am a bit concerned that welding the nut might not work and Might make it more difficult to drill out later and try an easy out. Of course I am trying to avoid removing the head or even worse damaging the head. Then again who knows maybe I weld a nut on there and it comes right out.
I very seriously doubt that welding a nut on a broken off glow plug will help to remove it......
....... assuming that the glow plug broke off while an attempt was being made to remove it with a socket.

I have removed a glow plug that had badly rusted/corroded threads.
Took several days of periodically applying Kroil, and gently using impact tool.
Broken off plug is a very different animal though.