Killing the battery instantly on starting

Rob Maffit

Equipment
Kubota M59+backhoe, loader, etc.
Nov 24, 2022
Benton, AR
My M59 has had starting problems for more than a year, but now it's completely unstartable.
Cleaning the terminals helped, replacing the starter helped.
I used to be able to start it by shorting the solenoid terminal to the starter stud. Not anymore.
Now, with a new battery, new starter, new alternator, clean terminals, it not only won't start, but the battery is dead as soon as I turn the key:
Turn to glow plug warmup, and it's fine; wait for the timer to extinguish, turn to start, click!, dash goes out. Turn key back to accessory and it's dead like no battery present. I have to recharge the battery to get dash lights and glow plugs again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I've examined the cable from the battery to the starter many times, and I see no problem.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My M59 has had starting problems for more than a year, but now it's completely unstartable.
Cleaning the terminals helped, replacing the starter helped.
I used to be able to start it by shorting the solenoid terminal to the starter stud. Not anymore.
Now, with a new battery, new starter, new alternator, clean terminals, it not only won't start, but the battery is dead as soon as I turn the key:
Turn to glow plug warmup, and it's fine; wait for the timer to extinguish, turn to start, click!, dash goes out. Turn key back to accessory and it's dead like no battery present. I have to recharge the battery to get dash lights and glow plugs again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I've examined the cable from the battery to the starter many times, and I see no problem.
Now is time to turn your attention to the ground cable.
Remove it at the frame end and polish the surfaces.
If you have replacement ends on any battery cable buy new cables.
Here are some examples:
Forum poor ground.jpg

Battery ground connection  on painted block caused starting problems.jpg

battery cable repair end.jpg

Do you have a multi meter?

Dave

Reactions: 3 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don’t think that the battery is draining that fast or you would probably be seeing something smoking. It sounds more like a corroded connection somewhere.

Start by cleaning the battery terminals and cable terminals at both ends since they should be easily gotten to. If the cables are questionable then I would suggest you replace them to eliminate any problem with them. If you replaced them when replacing the battery or starter then just leave them and clean whatever they connect to well.

Reactions: 1 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Sounds like you could have a parasitic draw, charge the battery and remove the fuses one by one, where the issue is should have some minor or major spark. I have had more times than once where I just put in a battery shutoff when unable to find.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Others have pointed out some good things to start with. I think your first clue is that fact you mention that you used to have to cross the starter solenoid to start it and you have since replaced the starter with no results. I would be using a tester with maybe another person to help you and test wether or not you are getting power from your key switch down to the solenoid on the starter. Could be it’s all related to a bad ground from the battery, but could also be something wrong in the wiring in the starter activation circuit.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It sure sounds like TWO new 'battery' cables would fix the problem..
From the symptoms, I'll wager they've slowly corroded from the inside out over the years and now won't pass large current through them.
Pictures of them would be nice. Are they original ? How old a tractor? Used often ? Get left out in rain a few times ? Ever replaced with smaller (low current) cables ?

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
It sure sounds like TWO new 'battery' cables would fix the problem..
From the symptoms, I'll wager they've slowly corroded from the inside out over the years and now won't pass large current through them.
Pictures of them would be nice. Are they original ? How old a tractor? Used often ? Get left out in rain a few times ? Ever replaced with smaller (low current) cables ?
Had this exact situation with my 7200 a few years back. Cable had corroded on the inside and would allow voltage to be read at the starter but when trying to start, it could not pass the current. New cable fixed the problem. The old cable appeared perfect on the outside.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Had this exact situation with my 7200 a few years back. Cable had corroded on the inside and would allow voltage to be read at the starter but when trying to start, it could not pass the current. New cable fixed the problem. The old cable appeared perfect on the outside.
Bingo. Corrosion inside the insulation can be impossible to detect visually unless extensive enough to cause swelling of the insulation.

Without the ability to inspect personally, I suggest two new quality battery cables. Get some good ones, e.g., Deka, etc., not cheap auto store cables.

Reactions: 2 users

Rob Maffit

Equipment
Nov 24, 2022
Benton, AR
I winced at the question if the tractor was left out in the rain. Four years without a shelter. I'm certain you all are right about the cable corrosion. I'll get back with you after I get new cables!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If there is rust around where the starter mounts there may not be a good ground path on the starter either. Removing starter and cleaning the rust off of the mounting surfaces to improve the ground path may also help.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The
I winced at the question if the tractor was left out in the rain. Four years without a shelter. I'm certain you all are right about the cable corrosion. I'll get back with you after I get new cables!
M59 is a great machine!
There are no new ones!
It deserves proper shelter!

crbr

Equipment
2006 B7800, 2022 BX1880
Jan 8, 2010
TN
My bet is also on the aged and corroded cable.

Last edited:

Rob Maffit

Equipment
Nov 24, 2022
Benton, AR
New cables fixed it! The ground bolt that attached the cable to the frame was rusted. I cleaned the hole and bolt. The positive cable looked okay, but yes, there was corrosion under the insulation.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
New cables fixed it! The ground bolt that attached the cable to the frame was rusted. I cleaned the hole and bolt. The positive cable looked okay, but yes, there was corrosion under the insulation.
Thanks for providing the final chapter. it helps everyone learn.
Dave

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Might help to remove that new grounding cable, and put a bit of dialectric grease underneath.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Might help to remove that new grounding cable, and put a bit of dialectric grease underneath.
I'm sure somebody is going to yell at you for recommendation an "insulator" on an electrical connection.

But you're absolutely right.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm sure somebody is going to yell at you for recommendation an "insulator" on an electrical connection.

But you're absolutely right.
I think it depends how you apply the dielectric grease.

“You can use dielectric grease on battery terminals to prevent corrosion and fusing. However, applying the grease wrongly will block any currents from flowing. Dielectric grease also protects the terminals from moisture and dirt.

You should not apply grease between the terminals since it will prevent a good connection and shorten the battery’s useful life. Dielectric grease is ideal for battery terminals since it is not affected by high temperatures. “

Applying after the connection is made makes sense, to keep moisture out. Applying it to the parts BEFORE putting them together…not so much. Can work however, as when tightening most of the grease will be forced out from between the parts.

Still…I would apply it after tightening the connection.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I think it depends how you apply the dielectric grease.

“You can use dielectric grease on battery terminals to prevent corrosion and fusing. However, applying the grease wrongly will block any currents from flowing. Dielectric grease also protects the terminals from moisture and dirt.

You should not apply grease between the terminals since it will prevent a good connection and shorten the battery’s useful life. Dielectric grease is ideal for battery terminals since it is not affected by high temperatures. “

Applying after the connection is made makes sense, to keep moisture out. Applying it to the parts BEFORE putting them together…not so much. Can work however, as when tightening most of the grease will be forced out from between the parts.

Still…I would apply it after tightening the connection.

No, this is completely wrong. This is the common error. Dielectric grease applied to MOST mechanical connections does not impede current flow, much less "block" it.

There is something called, "contact pressure". When the connection is made, the grease is squeezed into a thin film which does not impede current flow to any measurable degree. It's only a few microns thick, IIRC. At any rate, it's too thin to do any insulating.

This is the whole purpose of dielectric grease - it is INTENDED to be applied BEFORE the connection is made, to ensure that it blocks out moisture and oxygen, thus preventing corrosion, which WILL block current.

Dielectric grease is suitable for any 12v non-moving connection, and is to be applied BEFORE the connection is made.

For further information, please see a decent summary here and a more detailed explanation here (along with some excellent commentary on so-called "conductive" greases, which aren't).

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
No, this is completely wrong. This is the common error. Dielectric grease applied to MOST mechanical connections does not impede current flow, much less "block" it.

There is something called, "contact pressure". When the connection is made, the grease is squeezed into a thin film which does not impede current flow to any measurable degree. It's only a few microns thick, IIRC. At any rate, it's too thin to do any insulating.

This is the whole purpose of dielectric grease - it is INTENDED to be applied BEFORE the connection is made, to ensure that it blocks out moisture and oxygen, thus preventing corrosion, which WILL block current.

Dielectric grease is suitable for any 12v non-moving connection, and is to be applied BEFORE the connection is made.

For further information, please see a decent summary here and a more detailed explanation here (along with some excellent commentary on so-called "conductive" greases, which aren't).
Another example of this is when dielectric grease is applied to light-bulb/lamp bases before installation… the grease prevents corrosion but does not interfere with electrical contact.