I recently purchased a 2019 Kubota BX1880 for landscaping
around my property and to assist with snow removal this
winter. I had to perform all 50 hr maintenance because the
previous owner did not. So like everyone we like to add to
our tractor. I just added a port for my battery maintainer
for cheap money. I added the port to the left side of the
tractor near the passed sticker on the console. 20 min
job. Now I will leave the Maintainer hooked up on those
cold nights. It comes with everything pictured.

612XN4JX08L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
In all the years that I have had BX tractors, I have never had a battery problem, even though my tractor can sit for weeks unattended. I have found that the best insurance for making sure that it will start in the winter for snow duties, is to have a block heater and plug it in the night before it is needed. Starts every time without hesitation.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 90077
I usually leave a battery maintainer (I have 12) hooked up when I anticipate not using equipment for a month or more .
Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
I have a battery maintainer on every battery I own, using connections similar to what is shown. Why? Because using these things has essentially at least doubled the life of my batteries - sometime tripled. No idea if it is the desulfation process or what that helps so much. All I know is I used to have to change batteries in my dirt bike and welder (that sit for long periods of time without being started) every 2-3 years. The dirt bike battery is now 7 years old and doing good. The welder's battery is now over 8 years old. I bought my Jeep Wrangler (used) in 2011, it is still on the battery I bought it with. No idea how old it is because I can't find a date code.

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a battery maintainer on every battery I own, using connections similar to what is shown. Why? Because using these things has essentially at least doubled the life of my batteries - sometime tripled. No idea if it is the desulfation process or what that helps so much. All I know is I used to have to change batteries in my dirt bike and welder (that sit for long periods of time without being started) every 2-3 years. The dirt bike battery is now 7 years old and doing good. The welder's battery is now over 8 years old. I bought my Jeep Wrangler (used) in 2011, it is still on the battery I bought it with. No idea how old it is because I can't find a date code.
++++++100% !

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
For maximum life, lead acid batteries need to be kept as fully charged as practical. I rotate Battery Tenders among all of my batteries that see sporadic use, typically have them on each battery for about 3 days each month so that they come up to 100% and lose just a little while the charger is off. Having them on all the time may cause more electrolyte depletion and unnecessarily exposes the system to any anomalies that may happen. Some "maintainers" may not be capable to get a battery to 100% charge, thus the reason that I use a real multi-stage charger.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas

emac

Equipment
L3600, ZD1211, ZG20
Sep 13, 2021
SC

Same experience here with battery tenders. I use Deltran tenders on all my stuff. Well worth it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
  • Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

View attachment 90077
I would like to do something similar to my old mini excavator.

How about the male plug that goes into the female receptacle? Source for that? Or is this a standard of some type, and do battery maintainers come standard with a plug that will fit?

I don't have a clue at this point...

Edit: Like dustyrusty, I never have had an issue with my tractors and never used a battery maintainer. But I suppose I use them enough over the winter that it is not an issue.

The mini ex will sit for six months unused probably, so a maintainer will be beneficial there.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

How about the male plug that goes into the female receptacle? Source for that? Or is this a standard of some type, and do battery maintainers come standard with a plug that will fit?

Edit: Like dustyrusty, I never have had an issue with my tractors and never used a battery maintainer. But I suppose I use them enough over the winter that it is not an issue.

The mini ex will sit for six months unused probably, so a maintainer will be beneficial there.
You will be amazed at increased battery life with a respected brand name battery maintainer.
I avoid the el-cheapo ones due to fire hazard concern.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I bought a new 2005 Harley and sold it 11 years later with the factory battery. Had a maintainer on it. Was amazed to get 11 years out of a motorcycle battery.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

SAE quick connect.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

I think most maintainers would come with a mating half directly on the charger and then some plug on battery clamps. Then they sell the separate direct to battery terminal pigtails.

At least that is what Battery Minder does at Northern Tools

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine

Most battery maintainers come with the male adapter. It will normally have a set of jumper cables, that have a female connector for the male. I personally have two maintainers, one is an older Optimax, and I have a newer one which is better that is a NAPA and that only cost me about $30 dollars. When the maintainers hook up they also de sulfate the battery. By the way I installed one of the ports on my
Polaris Ranger side by side, which I use in the winter for snow plowing. I life in the mountains of Maine and we have very cold winters, and lots of snow. If I didn't have them on my machines, they would have a very hard time starting at -20 degs, and by the way i am old school to. I used a 7/8 inch spade bit to drill my hole and did a little reaming with a rasp file, so I had a snug fit. 30 min job. Good luck.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada

Most of the maintainers use SAE electrical connectors. I have several of these from Northern Tool:
battery minder.jpeg

The SAE connector is what you see on the end of the alligator clips that come with this particular model maintainer. That SAE connector mates with the SAE connector that is attached to the maintainer. Northern Tool sells an SAE connector with ring terminals which you can attach to your battery and then just plug in the maintainer to that SAE connector instead of having to attach alligator clips to your battery each time. This is a pic of what Northern Tool sells but the price right now is a rip-off. You can get it much cheaper if you search around on line.
battery minder cord set.jpeg

The SAE connectors have covers with them to protect the terminals, as seen in the photos. And as you can see, they are fused in case of a short.