Rear Wheel Weights

J-Cub22

Equipment
L4060, JD 5425, NH 5030, Polaris Ranger 1000.
May 24, 2021
Tennessee
Does anyone have any experience with wheel weights using an HST transmission? I’ve an L4060 that desperately needs something to help with the ride and ballast, but still let me use my 3-point. My worry is that this will drag the machine down even further. I’m finding that the HST and horsepower combo isn’t much to write home about as I’m having regrets buying this thing now. I’m trying any way I can to make this thing more usable for me, but I’m having trouble. Thanks.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Does anyone have any experience with wheel weights using an HST transmission? I’ve an L4060 that desperately needs something to help with the ride and ballast, but still let me use my 3-point. My worry is that this will drag the machine down even further. I’m finding that the HST and horsepower combo isn’t much to write home about as I’m having regrets buying this thing now. I’m trying any way I can to make this thing more usable for me, but I’m having trouble. Thanks.
Good day. I have them on my MX (Ihave loaded tires too). I’d now like to have them on my B. I can’t imagine what type of problem you might have honestly…could you be more specific? What jobs trying to do or what implement trying to use and what is actual problem? When do you need the ballast…is it for ground pressure to create traction or for roll over stability / uneven terrain. Mine is just fine whether I am in the field with tiller or garden bedder, in the woods skidding trees or using my backho. A little more description would help us understand your struggle and maybe your question/ concern.

Attachments

Last edited:

J-Cub22

Equipment
May 24, 2021
Tennessee
Good day. I have them on my MX (Ihave loaded tires too). I’d now like to have them on my B. I can’t imagine what type of problem you might have honestly…could you be more specific? What jobs trying to do or what implement trying to use and what is actual problem? When do you need the ballast…is it for ground pressure to create traction or for roll over stability / uneven terrain. Mine is just fine whether I am in the field with tiller or garden bedder, in the woods skidding trees or using my backho. A little more description would help us understand your struggle and maybe your question/ concern.
My issue is the log truck ride on basically any terrain. I’ve adjusted air pressure etc. The rear tires are loaded. As far as power lacking, it doesn’t do good at all pulling any hills or any incline for that matter. I use it to pull a hay rake, tedder, run an auger, bush hog, move rolls of hay and a few random other things. When any incline occurs it falls flat on its face and doesn’t pull very good. I feel like this tractor would be great for light use, gardening, land maintenance, etc. It is not an Ag tractor at all though. That’s my issue

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My issue is the log truck ride on basically any terrain. I’ve adjusted air pressure etc. The rear tires are loaded. As far as power lacking, it doesn’t do good at all pulling any hills or any incline for that matter. I use it to pull a hay rake, tedder, run an auger, bush hog, move rolls of hay and a few random other things. When any incline occurs it falls flat on its face and doesn’t pull very good. I feel like this tractor would be great for light use, gardening, land maintenance, etc. It is not an Ag tractor at all though. That’s my issue
I can’t really comment on the HP or your expectation, I’ve never operated An L4060, but I suspect it’s a 40ish hp machine meaning about 35ish at PTO, correct? IMO it’s a little more PTO than a B, but not much. As a percentage sure it’s more, but in reality it’s not much. If trying to compete with the JD or NH in your credentials I can’t imagine it’s even close. Those are a whole class bigger machine and way more HP. I think your L is about same weight as my Mx but less HP. L to me is still a compact and I can’t imagine using it as an ag machine…I’d think you would need to be in an M for that IMO. I do play stuff with my MX and I don’t think it is close to an AG machine either. I don’t think wheel weights is going to change much for the implements you want to run…maybe compound the problem with hills. I don’t have any issues with my brush hog or any other implements and no issue with hill on my MX. my B in the other hand no likee hills. I tend to agree with your last 3 sentences. If someone told you the L40 was an ag machine they were wrong IMO. So what’s your question?

Reactions: 1 user

J-Cub22

Equipment
May 24, 2021
Tennessee
I can’t really comment on the HP or your expectation, I’ve never operated An L4060, but I suspect it’s a 40ish hp machine meaning about 35ish at PTO, correct? IMO it’s a little more PTO than a B, but not much. As a percentage sure it’s more, but in reality it’s not much. If trying to compete with the JD or NH in your credentials I can’t imagine it’s even close. Those are a whole class bigger machine and way more HP. I think your L is about same weight as my Mx but less HP. L to me is still a compact and I can’t imagine using it as an ag machine…I’d think you would need to be in an M for that IMO. I do play stuff with my MX and I don’t think it is close to an AG machine either. I don’t think wheel weights is going to change much for the implements you want to run…maybe compound the problem with hills. I don’t have any issues with my brush hog or any other implements and no issue with hill on my MX. my B in the other hand no likee hills. I tend to agree with your last 3 sentences. If someone told you the L40 was an ag machine they were wrong IMO. So what’s your question?
My question was if anyone has used wheel weights on an HST machine, and if so, did it drag it down much. I did not expect the L to perform anywhere near the JD and NH in my bio, but I didn’t buy it to be such. I bought it to use around the barns, handle rolls of hay and pull the equipment i mentioned. I’m inclined to think it’s the combo of lower HP with the HST. I think Kubota is a fantastic machine, and I’m looking at a 7060 at the moment. I’m convinced they’re premium, no doubt. This tractor just doesn’t seem to be for me. My dealer is great and didn’t mislead me into believing this was any particular machine for any particular use. It was a good deal at the time and I thought it would be worth a shot. Also, I figured it being a Kubota, my losses would be mini if I were to get rid of it.

J-Cub22

Equipment
May 24, 2021
Tennessee
Will all of this being said, anyone interested in a well maintained and very low hour L4060 HST-C??

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My question was if anyone has used wheel weights on an HST machine, and if so, did it drag it down much. I did not expect the L to perform anywhere near the JD and NH in my bio, but I didn’t buy it to be such. I bought it to use around the barns, handle rolls of hay and pull the equipment i mentioned. I’m inclined to think it’s the combo of lower HP with the HST. I think Kubota is a fantastic machine, and I’m looking at a 7060 at the moment. I’m convinced they’re premium, no doubt. This tractor just doesn’t seem to be for me. My dealer is great and didn’t mislead me into believing this was any particular machine for any particular use. It was a good deal at the time and I thought it would be worth a shot. Also, I figured it being a Kubota, my losses would be mini if I were to get rid of it.
In general I think Kubota is a better engineered machine (quality and durability)…they have their quirks, but they are put together and more robust however you want to look at them. That being said I think when it comes to HST there sweet spot is with low load / low torque applications. I think when you go from a geared anything to HST just the way they put power to the ground, I think you need a 30%-50% more power than you think you needed…it’s just not a geared machine…I think it is that simple. Nothing wrong it, it’s different and maybe underwhelming compared to geared….so you need more oomph to make up for it. In the case of farm applications I think a lot of folks underestimate how much power is needed to do work efficiently. In most cases most folks don’t need much power…they run out of weight before run out of power. From your description you have shit to do and maybe you are other end of spectrum. HST is great for finesse work…no doubt about that. Haying IMO is not finess…it’s work.

Last edited:

J-Cub22

Equipment
May 24, 2021
Tennessee
In general I think Kubota is a better engineered machine (quality and durability)…they have their quirks, but they are put together and more robust however you want to look at them. That being said I think when it comes to HST there sweet spot is with load load / low torque applications. I think when you go from a heated anything to HST just the way they put power to the ground, I think you need a 30%-50% more power than you think you needed…it’s just not a geared machine…I think it is that simple. Nothing wrong it, it’s different and maybe underwhelming compared to geared….so you need more oomph to make up for it. In the case of farm applications I think a lot of folks underestimate how much power is needed to do work efficiently. In most cases most folks don’t need much power…they run out of weight before run out of power. From your description you have shit to do and maybe you are other end of spectrum. HST is great for finesse work…no doubt about that. Haying IMO is not finess…it’s work.
Damn!! You hit the mark with that statement! That’s 100% correct now that I’ve dealt with other machinery. I am now though, a Kubota guy and hope to get into a larger machine of theirs to use. This purchase was an error on my part, no knock on the machine, just me. If I’ve got to hold onto the machine, I’ve no problem there as I can find a use for it. Thanks so much for replying!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to ask how you are running the machine,, If you are running it in high range,, that could be the problem. I dont know of any 4060 that has had complaints of not much power, unless you are asking it to do way more than it was designed to do

J-Cub22

Equipment
May 24, 2021
Tennessee
I have to ask how you are running the machine,, If you are running it in high range,, that could be the problem. I dont know of any 4060 that has had complaints of not much power, unless you are asking it to do way more than it was designed to do
I run it as I see necessary for the task at hand. Generally though, I’m running Mid range, low. That’ll pull and do what I’m needing. I’ve got a good bit of ground though that needs Low range with a shift from high to low in that gear. I’m used to and need a gear drive machine. An HST just doesn’t have the “go” I’m looking for. Again, the L4060 is good for its niche applications, but as a general ag machine, it just can’t cut it. The ppl you’re referencing are likely doing lighter work, that’s all I’m saying.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Fan of the oem wheel weights. That machine can take 3 on each wheel.(360lbs) It will help, but you need a m7060/m4.

Reactions: 1 users