Need opinions on Looking at a couple tractors

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
One question is whether you really need them removed. What are you doing with that piece of land that the stumps are a problem? If you want to mow, you can cut or grind them to ground level. If you're worried about them rotting over time then subsiding......I vote for leaving them to rot, then put topsoil over them. You can spend a week taking them out now, or spend about half a day putting dirt on them 2-3 times over the next ten years.

If it's a cosmetic problem, grind them to just below ground level and cover.

If you're going to plow, disc or do other things that genuinely need them gone, then yeah, big excavator. Ideally with a person to drive it - they'll do it in a quarter the time you will, so unless you particularly want to drive a big machine (hint, I would), it's probably cheaper to rent an operator with machine than to just rent the machine.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wet stumps just need more diesel/gas in them to burn ;)
I was under the impression these were dead trees,so dry, from 'leaves to roots', that's why I offered the 'slow burn' process.

'stumps'. did you leave any 'trunk' on them, say 2-3 feet ? You can use it as a 'fulcrum', push/pull to help ease the stump out. yes a slow process unless you've got a big machine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I both agree and disagree. My Kubota L47 TLB CAN do it, but that's a lot...thing though about pine trees is the root ball isn't that large/wide, but deep. The bigger problem is trees with thick roots going out to side... you need a really powerful backhoe to break those. I've removed 26-30 inch diameter (at the base... the tree is smaller going up) stumps with L3301 BH77 backhoe. It can be done, but takes 5-6 hours and you make a big mess by trenching deep all the way around. Then after you get the stump loose, it is too heavy to move. With L47, it is easier, but I wouldn't say considerably...still take a lot of time. It can pickup the stumps (where the L3301 could only drag them), but it still doesn't feel safe on a slopes...2000-2500 LB, but it's way out front. I messed around with trying to chainsaw it into smaller pieces...forget about that as all the dirt around just dulls your chain really quick.

And after you cut the pine tree, assuming you want the log, you'd have to move that too. L3301 will move a 12 foot (only reasonable size to move around with grapple and trails IMO...anything larger you need to skid) log, but it gets kinda sketchy. The L47 will move them no problem though and this was one of the usage cases I had where I wanted a bigger tractor.

18 stumps isn't really that much...if each one takes 5 hours, that's only 100 hours of tractor usage...or maybe 5 weeks at 20 hours per week. In the grand scheme of things, not much.

You got the right idea about not looking anything smaller than Kubota L, though IMO this is bare minimum. You need equipment that will cost 50k+ used with many hours or 70-100k new to do what you're talking about. Also removing stumps is really rough on equipment...I personally wouldn't trust and old used beat up tractor to do it reliably.

12k LB or 6 ton mini-ex will knock out stacking the logs and removing the stumps in a week versus you spending a 1-2 months on it. Then after you're done, what do you need the tractor/equipment for? Again since there is no long-term consistent maintenance need...this is just a project you want done, you're best off renting or hiring. Years ago it might have been possible to buy a nice used mini-ex, do the project, then get all your money back selling it...wont be able to do that today as prices are so high.
My L48 has 3 more HP, and will dig one foot deeper than the L47.
One or two large stumps.....sure!
I would not even think about digging out eighteen 18"-30" pine stumps!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Unless you are building over the area where stumps are, hire someone to come in and grind out the stumps. Less soil disturbance.

Reactions: 2 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Have you considered getting a 3pt stump grinder instead of digging them out? It's cheaper than a backhoe and easier to store. This is the one i use with My LX2610 it works well with it. ( have a tight woods and an L or Grand L are too big for working in my woods).

Reactions: 1 users

Plan B

Equipment
NA
Aug 30, 2022
I would say, I could leave half of them below ground level.But I have found over the years that that can bite me in the ass. Will be planting 9' leyland cypress where 6- 7 of them are,and putting a pole barn up in front of that A couple of previous stumps could not be taken out due to being to close to the driveway or in the gardens or along the fence line.so they have been cut below grade and mulched over.To this day( 10+ years later)I still cant grow anything there,I could have done it with a grinder but none of my friends has one.
Yes,The ones i took down last year I left 2-3' standing.
Yes, the majority were dead a couple years before dropping them ,and we have been short on rain this year,but I have no experience burning them out, so Im not real keen on doing that.
I still plan on picking up a tractor ,but After the holiday I'll call and see what equipment my freinds have available.That will give me more time to find a good deal

Plan B

Equipment
NA
Aug 30, 2022
Do your homework on J.D. v.s. Kubota. The ones I've looked at didn't age as well as Kubotas (dry rotted vacuum lines, junky plastic, etc.) - even those used hard left out in the sun, but I'm just a backyard mechanic. I also have a much better dealer Kubota v.s. JD. If you are patient and use the "notify" features on CL and other sources, you will find an excellent bargain on an used tractor. I've had several amazing deals show up. Just keep in mind the costs of "additions" such as a front end loader, third function, rear remotes. My $8,500.00 tractor aftermarket FEL costs ~ $11K (not installed). I found my FEL on a tractor 10 hours drive from me for $3,500.00 after waiting and searching for about a year. I came with a tractor that needed a clutch that I will now fix and sell getting my loader plus a few bucks for my troubles. If you're willing to travel to get it, use CL "search ALL of Craigslist" websites and locate a better deal. Tractors from the south seem to sell for less than tractors from the north - I don't know why.

On property management (I have 22 wooded acres), rent a stump machine. Line em up and knock em down. I use my skid steer with a stump bucket and tracks (~8,000 lbs) and I can tear out 6" trees by the roots in less than a minute. Big ash stumps from living trees are a bear, and I could beat the living hell out of my machine and get em out, but that's what rentals for for - beating the hell out of em.
I do alot of buying and selling on CL and I never knew there was a "search ALL of Craigslist,much less a notify :unsure: Well now I know. Thanks for the tips.(y)

Reactions: 1 user

Plan B

Equipment
NA
Aug 30, 2022
Have you considered getting a 3pt stump grinder instead of digging them out? It's cheaper than a backhoe and easier to store. This is the one i use with My LX2610 it works well with it. ( have a tight woods and an L or Grand L are too big for working in my woods).
I did see a tractor for sale that had one of those and i also thought that would work, but I would still want a backhoe:rolleyes:Thanks for the tip

Sep 3, 2022
America
I have done some research on these too - definitely a good option. It would be nice to have the hydraulic one that swings back and forth, but that requires rear remotes and the added costs.

One other option I've been suggested is to negotiate with those stump grinders near you. They're looking for work (to pay off their stump grinders) and you could end up with a great future stump removal relationship :)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
one method to 'burn' them, is to carve a dish in the stump,add some diesel,let it soak in then light it up. it will slowly smoulder NOT be a bloody great big bonfire. Providing the stump is dry, the 'fire' will consume the trunk and most of the bigger roots..can take a week or so, depending on 'factors'...
Always best to eliminate as much of the old tree,stump and roots...so you CAN start with a clean slate. The one you don't do...will be the one just a foot from the corner of a new build .......

Plan B

Equipment
NA
Aug 30, 2022
A buddy dropped of a Yanmar 35 this morning,will be picking up Monday morning.. I got out 7 of them today. Still have to get them on the dump:rolleyes:.3 of them are to heavy to lift so the back stop for the target hill is going to get bigger ;) These pines were dead 4-5-6 years before I cut them down, 2 years ago. I didnt think it would be so rough.(dumb ass:poop: ). Im glad I had the Yanmar,I couldn't imagine doing it with anything less. 6-8' foot deep all the way around the stumps. Still had to get down there with the 14" demo saw to cut the taps (10")just to get them out of the hole.Oh well,tomorrow I have 2 more big ones and a few 10" that have to go_Other then that they will get the stump grinder