Clogged Sprayer Tips

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I have a FIMCO 40 gallon sprayer. I've used it to apply a glyphosate cocktail ( Glyphosate, AMS & a surfactant ) successfully on a number of occasions.

Yesterday, I added 2, 4 D to the cocktail and I had had some sludge buildup which clogged the sprayer tips horribly. I eventually got tank emptied but wasted a lot of time and product. Now I'm wondering if I had a bad jug of 2,4 d ( it did look a little thick ) or if they just don't play well together?

Any experience here? I believe this is a fairly common mix for a burndown,

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The label (instructiion booklet that should be included with each chemical you buy) will tell you which other herbicides, pesticides, etc. can safely be combined together for one pass applications. If they don't list a particular combination......it's best to make a small test solution of the combined ingredients in the proper ratio to see how they react together.

Edit: As a general rule, you should add the chemicals to your tank individually and let them fully mix with the clean water before adding the next chemical. If I remember right, just dumping in the glyphosate and 24d together can result in some gelling/globules. The label for each chemical should also tell you the proper order to add each chemical to the tank mixture.

It might just be the manner in which you combined the ingredients that caused your issue. Sometimes certain surfactants over others may be called for when using different products or combined mixtures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
The label (instructiion booklet that should be included with each chemical you buy) will tell you which other herbicides, pesticides, etc. can safely be combined together for one pass applications. If they don't list a particular combination......it's best to make a small test solution of the combined ingredients in the proper ratio to see how they react together.

Edit: As a general rule, you should add the chemicals to your tank individually and let them fully mix with the clean water before adding the next chemical. If I remember right, just dumping in the glyphosate and 24d together can result in some gelling/globules. The label for each chemical should also tell you the proper order to add each chemical to the tank mixture.

It might just be the manner in which you combined the ingredients that caused your issue. Sometimes certain surfactants over others may be called for when using different products or combined mixtures.
Good info. Thank you.

Things can never be simple. More work to be done.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
gly-phos clumps when it gets too cold or too hot.

Did you leave your sprayer out in the sun or shaded/in a building that got above say 90f?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
So, it appears that mixing a single salt glyphosate with 2,4 d will result in a salt sediment or clogged sprayer tips. I need the duel salt glyphosate if I'm going to mix them.

Lesson learned.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I’ve been using Gordon's 8141122 Amine 400 2,4-D along with Ragan & Massey 75237 FW 53.8% Glyphosate and haven’t had any clogging. I also add a non-ionic surfactant as well as some Ammonium Sulfate. The AMS itself takes care of my hard water that would otherwise render the Glyphosate less-effective. I put the AMS in with my water first and mix it up well in advance of adding the 2,4-D and Gly.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
So, it appears that mixing a single salt glyphosate with 2,4 d will result in a salt sediment or clogged sprayer tips. I need the duel salt glyphosate if I'm going to mix them.

Lesson learned.
Thanks for that info!! Didn't know there was a difference. I'll have to check out the label on what I"ve been using. Apparently, I've just been lucky with what I've bought in the past.