1.33 acres, heavily wooded and overgrown... Need advice on a tractor purchase!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I told ya it was gonna get cr@zy !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
To be honest, 1.3 acres is rather small and not large enough to justify a tractor. Garden tractor plus hand held power tools is what I’d recommend plus hire others to do any heavy lifting. If you really want a tractor for entertainment value, no larger than BX, though John Deere 1025R is better in this size category though.
Appreciate the input, though I'm always curious why people get so hung up on acreage. Without seeing a property, why would someone just assume 1.33 acres is less worthy of tractor work than 5 acres, for example?
Our 1.33 acres will be filled with a variety of things like gardens, mulched beds, gravel driveway, firewood piles, pallets of pellets to move...
"Not enough for a tractor...
5 acres of tall grass... Now that's tractor work"

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
Dang... Rain on the man's parade, why don't ya! Lawn mower and a shovel? He wants a tractor and is looking for justification! Shame on you for discouraging him! (-;

Here ya go, OP: Pick you up one of these:
:) now we're talking! lol
But really, I will look into hiring someone to do this level of work first, then reassess my needs.

Even then, assuming the dead and fallen trees were gone, the brush was cleared, and the trails were cut... I can still see myself needing more than just a riding mower to do everything I want on my land.

Sure, it's a small lot compared to many of you. But, right now on only 0.18 acres, I have 250 feet of vegetable gardens and over 11 yards of material I need to move annually for flower beds. Doing this with a push mower, shovel, fork, and dump cart by hand is a real pain in my rear. But, I have been doing it for 6 years now and it works, and it's cheap...

It would be nice to have a riding mower and a front-end loader.
Someone suggested to me the JD X730 with a CTC loader...
That combo comes in around $17,500 though. At that point, wouldn't it just make sense to buy a more capable subcompact?

I'm genuinely looking for all opinions on this topic. From "suck it up and keep doing it by hand" to "buy an MX :)"

Appreciate everyone's input so far!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
why would someone just assume 1.33 acres is less worthy of tractor work than 5 acres, for example?

Just the amount of work that is typical for a small property vs. a larger property. It's not rocket science.

Of course, there are variables. What you are doing on a property is a relevant factor, but that only goes so far.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Do you need a tractor ... No. Do you want a tractor ... from what I've read that would be a big fat Yes. You could hire out most of the work but at least in my mind there is 'real value' in doing things for yourself the way you want them done. It's hard to put a price tag on that.

You could do the clearing and gardening by hand, but doing it with a tractor means less pain killers, less surgery, less Dr. visits, less getting out of bed 20 years from now aching and wishing you had used a tractor instead of your back. Just get the tractor and enjoy using it. Personally, I'd go as big as will fit in your garage. I have the big B, dad has a BX. I've never had a situation where I said "dang, this B2650 is just too big, I'll go borrow dad's BX for this job".

Go big, go orange, enjoy life ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
Do you need a tractor ... No. Do you want a tractor ... from what I've read that would be a big fat Yes. You could hire out most of the work but at least in my mind there is 'real value' in doing things for yourself the way you want them done. It's hard to put a price tag on that.

You could do the clearing and gardening by hand, but doing it with a tractor means less pain killers, less surgery, less Dr. visits, less getting out of bed 20 years from now aching and wishing you had used a tractor instead of your back. Just get the tractor and enjoy using it. Personally, I'd go as big as will fit in your garage. I have the big B, dad has a BX. I've never had a situation where I said "dang, this B2650 is just too big, I'll go borrow dad's BX for this job".

Go big, go orange, enjoy life ;)
To be fair, aside from anyone commercially farming, do any of us really 'need' a tractor?

I wholeheartedly agree with you: enjoy life :)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
For all those that say 'you don't need a tractor', I suggest THEY come to your property and do all that you want, MANUALLY. heck I'd fly them there and buy the brownpops just to see how long they last !
Can it be done without ,sure..same as commercial farmer do not need their tractors. Horse worked very well for generations of farmers.
My 'vote' is for a B2601, SSQA bucket, pallet forks as a starting setup. Use them and see what CAN be done, gain experience ,THEN decide IF you need more implements. I do recommend a 4' tiller for garden work though. And the 'ham' is right, cr@zy !

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Appreciate the input, though I'm always curious why people get so hung up on acreage. Without seeing a property, why would someone just assume 1.33 acres is less worthy of tractor work than 5 acres, for example?
Our 1.33 acres will be filled with a variety of things like gardens, mulched beds, gravel driveway, firewood piles, pallets of pellets to move...
I know how about 1 acre looks like, woods or grass…without any further details, I would consider it a large yard, especially if there is a house and everything associated on it. How about post a list of specific tasks you want to do with the machine (+pics pref). That may help people make a suggestion.

Again, I’m suggesting that you’d be better off hiring someone with a bigger machine to do the work. They might be able to knock everything you need out in a day. A BX isn’t big enough to do some demanding tasks in a wooded lot, but you wont be buying a 3-4+ ton machine that can, right?

Say you want to till or mulch the gardens annually. Someone would do this for cheaper than 1 monthly tractor payment.

There is nothing wrong with it being an entertainment thing and that’s how you want to spend your money. Low hour used tractors come up often from people doing that. Many people buy motorcycles and hardly ever drive them too.

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
I know how about 1 acre looks like, woods or grass…without any further details, I would consider it a large yard, especially if there is a house and everything associated on it. How about post a list of specific tasks you want to do with the machine (+pics pref). That may help people make a suggestion.

Again, I’m suggesting that you’d be better off hiring someone with a bigger machine to do the work. They might be able to knock everything you need out in a day. A BX isn’t big enough to do some demanding tasks in a wooded lot, but you wont be buying a 3-4+ ton machine that can, right?

Say you want to till or mulch the gardens annually. Someone would do this for cheaper than 1 monthly tractor payment.

There is nothing wrong with it being an entertainment thing and that’s how you want to spend your money. Low hour used tractors come up often from people doing that. Many people buy motorcycles and hardly ever drive them too.
I do have a list of tasks and I just added photos to the original post.

As for hiring the job out, I do agree that hiring a professional for the initial clearing makes sense.
But, for annual tilling, mulching, grading, snow clearing, etc?
I must live in an expensive area because there's no way I'm getting all that for under $300 annually (expected monthly payment of a tractor).

I was just quoted a $200 site visit minimum plus $85 per man hour. A two-man crew, for a full day, I'm looking at $1,360 in labor alone. That's assuming they can do everything I need them to do in a single 8-hour day.

I called around and the quotes are all around the same, plus or minus a few dollars. Plus, these guys are so busy that you can't just bring them out whenever you want, two companies I have called have a 6-week queue ahead of me if I were to hire them today...

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Nobody has asked, but how is your funds? Have you priced out some of the tractors? Nothing is cheap anymore.

For me I moved into my property and started doing things manually. And I hired somebody to do the lawn cutting first year. Then I saw what I was being charged and thought - hey I have time I can cut the grass. Looked at the best way to cut - was a zero turn. Looked around and got a 60" used bobcat zero turn. Paid for itself in a few years.

But then thought I have lots of yard work to do and mulch and stuff. looked at tractors. Saw a bx25 might do or a b series. I rented out a bx25 for a weekend to do 15 yards of mulch and dig out and in some trees to see how we liked it. Was fantastic compared to doing it by hand. So now bx or B. Well I was using a walk behind snowblower for a long driveway. Hey the tractor can have a front snowblower. Oh look at that a cab with heat. Damn $5k for a cab and $5k for a snowblower. But pay once cry once.

BX cab would fit in my garage, B series would not - so BX it was.

What else can the BX do. - Ohhhh pallet forks. I was using an atv with a trailer behind to move things around - now all of a sudden everything is on pallets. Oh boy post hole digger. The more I used my tractor the more uses I found for it. I also have a company and try to move heavy things. The BX has limitations. SO after a while I really had a need to lift lots more weight - because of the company.

Was a toss up between the jd 4066r or the grand L 6060. Grand L won. But I keep the bx25 as small for smaller jobs is nice compared to a huge tractor that isn't needed sometimes.

For clearing out the land - sometimes its best to rent something. Nothing like a skid steer or an excavator. If you really don't want to hire somebody and have the time - take a month off of work, rent both a skid steer and excavator and clear the land in one shot.

Then see if you had a tractor sitting there - what would you use it for. acres doesn't matter - with the land cleared - what now? You have a bx25 or a grand L 6060 sitting there. What are you using it for this week, this month - this year?

Justify the machine. The deal with my wife was the I could have the grand L and keep the BX. But if the grand L sits for 6 months or a year and only gets used once or twice it gets sold. As long as I use the equipment it stays. And with the company it will get used. No company bigger machine is out of place. Still nice to have and makes jobs go faster but the little bx25 is a very capable tractor - to a point. Just takes more time on some jobs.

A lot of us start with our first tractor and then after a few years realize, shit I wish I went bigger. And upgrade. Nothing wrong with that. And then you have lots of tractor experience as well and can make a better informed decision on what you need

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Oh my. Lots of suggestions. One thing that all of us tractors owners would likely agree upon is...

Your tractor will definitely shrink when you bring it home to your lot. They look much bigger on the showroom floor.

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
Oh my. Lots of suggestions. One thing that all of us tractors owners would likely agree upon is...

Your tractor will definitely shrink when you bring it home to your lot. They look much bigger on the showroom floor.
Haha so it's the opposite of buying a TV on a big showroom floor... Those things look tiny in the store, get it home and realize how big 60" actually is on your living room wall! :ROFLMAO:

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Also if you have an acre or more of heavily wooded and a mess to clear. Have a plan for what your gonna do with it all. meaning you take all the trees , branches, dirt and shrub out - where you putting it?

You would be shocked just how much crap piles up clearing out land. You need a way to get rid of it all or put it someplace

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
After seeing the pictures, I take back my MX comment. You need a skid steer with a forestry head!

• Wow
  • Love
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
After seeing the pictures, I take back my MX comment. You need a skid steer with a forestry head!
When I was at the New Holland dealership a few weeks ago, I said I was interested in a Workmaster 25S for the 1-acre property. He chuckled and said, "I'll sell you whatever you want". We got talking about the property, my uses for the tractor, and the initial clearing project.
He mentioned a coworker who had a larger tractor and rotary cutter that might be interested in coming out to the property to tackle the initial clearing for a fee.
Up until this point he has been very responsive until I sent him these same photos... I haven't heard from the guy in two weeks :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Above, you mentioned you are ~210 pounds (I think). I would think twice about BX or B2601 (same operator station). I'm 5'11" 185 pounds and was really uncomfortable on both BX and B2601 after more than 2 hours in the seat.

I hear you on costs to hire pros, it's what pushed me into buying a machine. Tree service work here in NJ STARTS around $4000 a day, if you can get them to show up. To have forestry mulcher is minimum $2000, but he needs the tree service to show up first. It adds up fast.

I started with a '90s vintage Deere Gator & chain saw. I wish I had just bought an LX when I moved in, and been done with it. It was a slow, expensive, climb up the learning curve.

One thing is for sure, with a tractor your entire property will go from neglected, to park like.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Lots of great feedback , suggestions, and observations here! I agree with you on the acreage determining what sized tractor you buy. Never could really get the connection. Of course there are limits, a hundred HP articulated tractor might be a tad overkill! :) I also do not get the 5 hp per foot of implement rule. I think that rule might have had some merit when discussing ground engaging implements, plows, discs etc but now it has been thrown around for rotary cutters, landscape rakes, sprayers etc. Even with ground engaging implements there are too many variables , sandy non compacted soil versus hard pan clay as one example.

Above all else, enjoy your tractor journey!

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
I love the range of responses I'm getting here!

I think my biggest takeaway is to just be realistic with my day-to-day use, determine whether or not I need to hire the initial clearing, and go to a dealership and physically sit on a few orange tractors to see how they feel!

Dealership experience is also a key consideration here:

The green tractor store was a poor experience last week - I was being talked down to like a child and the guy didn't even know what he was talking about. He kept talking about the regen system and DPF on the 1025R... I left soon after that.

The blue tractor store was fine, but I wasn't thrilled with the WM25S, and the WM25 seemed a bit large? They are leading over the green guys right now, but I still need to try the orange one...

The orange tractor store, I've yet to visit. But I called them yesterday and the sales rep was super nice - I plan to head up there next week to test drive a few machines.

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. are YOU going to USE firewood out of the 'bush'. If not, then see if others will come for 'free firewood- you chop and haul' type deal. I did that for a couple tall trees. Saved me the time and aggrevation, they even relocated the brush into neat piles for me.
options, always try to think of options....