Turf to R4 Swap

Papa V

Equipment
L4240 Land Pride Box Blade, Land Pride Disc, HLA Snowplow, EA WRR Grapple
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
Hi everyone! I've gotten a lot of good information on this site and now I have a question. I am looking to swap my L4240 turf tires with R4 tires. The tires I have are in decent shape but I am getting ready to do some more severe duty work that will be better suited to R4s. Where is a good place to start? I will need to get new rims as well. Thanks in advance.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Start with your dealer, at least then your have a bench mark in regards to price and size.

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
My R4’s have been almost bullet proof. I’ve been at demolition and construction sites and had zero problems.

Cons: Ride rough as heck on the road especially in winter. Not good traction in mud and snow -I fixed this issue by grooving fronts and backs.

I drive all over our yard and after a week or two you never notice. Secret is not turning when you’re stopped. Just like a SS make your directional change when you’re in reverse or forward movement.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You may want to consider foam filling the front tires if you are going to be using them in questionable areas.

Smaller tractor, but my B2910 R4s on the front soon flatted. Got them foam filled. No issues in the 19 years since.

Reactions: 1 user

Papa V

Equipment
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
I'm not real happy with my local dealer at the moment. I just had my tractor there for a few weeks waiting for some work to be done. After a couple of promised to be completed dates came and went I picked it up and brought it home. I really don't want to talk to them about anything at the moment. Maybe after hay season they won't be so busy but in the meantime I was hoping someone had done a similar install and could point me to a good vendor for tires and rims.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I'm not real happy with my local dealer at the moment. I just had my tractor there for a few weeks waiting for some work to be done. After a couple of promised to be completed dates came and went I picked it up and brought it home. I really don't want to talk to them about anything at the moment. Maybe after hay season they won't be so busy but in the meantime I was hoping someone had done a similar install and could point me to a good vendor for tires and rims.
Doesn’t have to be your local dealer you call. As others have pointed out, buying complete tire and rim package through the sales department Wholegoods is one of the cheapest sources there is. Buying elsewhere, you have to buy the rims one place, tires another then get them mounted. Wholegoods, they come in all mounted.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Go to the next closes dealer, sadly not all dealers are equal. For anything important I go to the next dealer, as I don't have confidence in the closes one.

Papa V

Equipment
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
I hadn't heard about Wholegoods. Definitely something I will be checking into. Thanks