power loss / overheating / pulled thermostat to replace, flushed anti-freeze - none came out from block... water pump?

martinlaurentide

Equipment
Kubota: BX2200, BX2750D, LA211, box; Woods: BH6000, Post Hole Digger-might sell
Update - after flushing a few times, installing the new Kubota thermostat and coolant, runs normally. I need to check the rad a few more times but don't see bubbles nor smoke but that was cut short by a No Start issue that I now, having spent some time on it, need to post separately for more help lol grr... Thanks for the input. Most appreciated.

UPDATE: Fluid is out. That is NOT the drain bolt. On a BX2200, it is located on the Right Side of the (905) engine under the block heater connecting point. Need to find a thermostat. Wondering if this is dealer only or if it and the gasket cross reference with any others?

BX2200, 2001... bought it >10 years ago. Anti-freeze has never been changed since I got it; I should have but missed this on my regular maintenance which I otherwise do twice a year; fuel filters, oil & filter winter / summer, hydraulic fluid and filter sometimes, the screen and rad area (which I did after this occured and yes it was blocked but please read on ...

At first I didn't notice the temperature gauge rising below red but past half so I changed the fuel pump... (suspect for other reasons I won't elaborate on here); tractor got hot, lost power and finally stalled - happened twice before and after that repair. It started and ran after cooling. I will have to worry about damage or not later but suspect it's okay. For now I need to focus on this current repair. Per the heading, I pulled the hose to the thermostat to bring to the parts counter (to be sure...) and fluid was present. I then flushed the fluid from the base of the rad and a couple of litres / quarts emptied. When I opened the bolt to the engine, Nothing came out. It wasn't nasty looking btw, green.

I will still change the thermostat and gasket since they're out but I gather it's the water pump that I need to change which I gather is a bit of a pain. Is there a test i can do to diagnose further from here? Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What bolt did you remove to look for coolant in the block?
Because nothing in that pic would show you coolant in the block.
And most likely damage would be a cracked head.
A bad water pump won't cause the block not to have coolant in it.
fill the radiator to the top leave the cap off run it, look for bubbles (cracked head or blown head gasket) and look for circulation, water pump is working.

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I went thru your same scenario before I sold my Kubota powered Steiner tractor last year. While you are at it take the radiator out and power wash it. I took mine to a car wash to perform the task. Oddly enough my engine had been suffering from what might best be described as multi organ failure. Turned out the thermostat sending unit was faulty AND the fuel pump needed replacing. I did replace my water pump even though the one in it was fine. The thermostat was probably fine as well. You might start with using an inexpensive infrared thermometer ,as had been recommended to me, to determine if your engine is really running hot. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

martinlaurentide

Equipment
I went thru your same scenario before I sold my Kubota powered Steiner tractor last year. While you are at it take the radiator out and power wash it. I took mine to a car wash to perform the task. Oddly enough my engine had been suffering from what might best be described as multi organ failure. Turned out the thermostat sending unit was faulty AND the fuel pump needed replacing. I did replace my water pump even though the one in it was fine. The thermostat was probably fine as well. You might start with using an inexpensive infrared thermometer ,as had been recommended to me, to determine if your engine is really running hot. Good luck.
Thanks.

martinlaurentide

Equipment
What bolt did you remove to look for coolant in the block?
Because nothing in that pic would show you coolant in the block.
And most likely damage would be a cracked head.
A bad water pump won't cause the block not to have coolant in it.
fill the radiator to the top leave the cap off run it, look for bubbles (cracked head or blown head gasket) and look for circulation, water pump is working.
Thank you. You are the only one who noticed that that is the Wrong bolt. That one is located where all the videos and articles I read illustrated so I did not check the shop manual. My mistake. I found the bolt and emptied the rest of the fluid. For any BX2200 guys reading this, the Drain Bolt is on the RIGHT side of the tractor not the left side. I was under the impression that the BX2200 had the same engine (905) as the 2350's etc. so your post and a few other hints (17mm), near where I installed the block heater etc. dug deeper. Fluid is out so i will get some green antifreeze Try and find a thermostat and hope for the best.

*** Do you or does anyone know if the thermostat and gasket cross references with anything that I might be able to find at an auto-parts store? I searched extensively for this as I'd like to avoid the 60 mile drive to procure one.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
anyone know if the thermostat and gasket cross references with anything that I might be able to find at an auto-parts store?
My L3650, Honda 4514 & 4518s all have automotive thermostats in them. We just matched them up.

Reactions: 1 user

martinlaurentide

Equipment
My L3650, Honda 4514 & 4518s all have automotive thermostats in them. We just matched them up.
Thanks. I guess I don't have notifications set here. Bought the Kubota thermostat and all seems good but do still want to check more for bubbles but once finally properly flushed and unblocked etc. runs normally. That said I will now post my electrical problem... between this, my 2 motorcycles and car, I have enough maintenance to keep me too busy lol grrr. Thanks!

evan waa

Equipment
bx2200
May 30, 2022
north dakota
TThere have been a lot post BX series running hot with many suggestions these tractors are very sensitive to air flow through the radiator so what I did was I got a fan from a BX 2680 which has five blades trimmed it down and put it on the BX series 2200 seems eliminated the