Expensive Seal kits

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I contacted Massicks to get a rebuild seal kits for the rams on my TL1300 loader, 7 O-rings in each kit, each kit costing $250, $500 for both rams. That is ridicules. Anybody figured out how to get seals from another source. I'm thinking, I will take apart the ram and Mic/Measure the seals and check other sources.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Here, I go to a local hydraulic shop with my old seals and they match them and send me on my way. They do bulk ordering and keep a large inventory of seals and o rings for a fraction of what I would pay from anywhere else.

As far as measuring before hand, the owner told me to bring thee old ones and they would do any measurements to make sure I got right seals.

It has actually turned out that now I either Ake the cylinders to them or a local machine shop because it’s relatively cheap for them to do a full rebuild and test.

Reactions: 1 user

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Here, I go to a local hydraulic shop with my old seals and they match them and send me on my way. They do bulk ordering and keep a large inventory of seals and o rings for a fraction of what I would pay from anywhere else.

As far as measuring before hand, the owner told me to bring thee old ones and they would do any measurements to make sure I got right seals.

It has actually turned out that now I either Ake the cylinders to them or a local machine shop because it’s relatively cheap for them to do a full rebuild and test.
Thanks I will do that.

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
The one I use specializes in rebuilding cylinders, valves, etc. Regular shops that just make hoses probably can’t help much other than to refer you to a shop that does rebuilds. I was using a local machine shop that would rebuild a FEL cylinder for $75. Of course, these weren’t all my cylinders….I was working seasonally at a large farm here so we were constantly sending stuff to them for rebuild.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Will these shops rebuild control valves as well?

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
The shop I use will. However, I have a Timberwolf Wood Splitter that seemed to be loosing splitting power. It has some age on it so it decided it was time to bring it back to full power. I replaced the pump. Then, all the control valves (Prince Mfg) needed some care so I disassembled one of the spool valves and removed the o rings. I took those to the shop and they matched them up and I replaced them myself with no problems. I could have tried to accurately measure diameter and thickness but they did that and sold me a full set for a four valve rebuild for about $12. That seems expensive for o-rings but the replacement o-rings were not the old school black ones but a better material that has better sealing and longevity. If I remember correctly they were Viton rings. Good for -13 degrees to +450 degrees. I don’t split wood when it’s below about 20 degrees. Butyl rings are good from -40 to 260 degrees. The Viton are doing great and the spool valves no longer weep from the end plates.

In answer to your question (almost forgot) the shop here will rebuild them. So will the machine shop we used on the farm.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The shop I use will. However, I have a Timberwolf Wood Splitter that seemed to be loosing splitting power. It has some age on it so it decided it was time to bring it back to full power. I replaced the pump. Then, all the control valves (Prince Mfg) needed some care so I disassembled one of the spool valves and removed the o rings. I took those to the shop and they matched them up and I replaced them myself with no problems. I could have tried to accurately measure diameter and thickness but they did that and sold me a full set for a four valve rebuild for about $12. That seems expensive for o-rings but the replacement o-rings were not the old school black ones but a better material that has better sealing and longevity. If I remember correctly they were Viton rings. Good for -13 degrees to +450 degrees. I don’t split wood when it’s below about 20 degrees. Butyl rings are good from -40 to 260 degrees. The Viton are doing great and the spool valves no longer weep from the end plates.

In answer to your question (almost forgot) the shop here will rebuild them. So will the machine shop we used on the farm.
Your Prince control valve has oring pressure seals on the spools?

Dan

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Dan, the Prince valves have the o-rings on the end of the spools. If they leak, they loose pressure. Mine were leaking. They are two position spools with detent. Disconnect the handle, remove the end plates and slide the spool to replace the prints. O rings are on each end. They are the RD5000 Valves. There was no noticeable scuffs or tell marks on the spools themselves so no further service was needed.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, the Prince valves have the o-rings on the end of the spools. If they leak, they loose pressure. Mine were leaking. They are two position spools with detent. Disconnect the handle, remove the end plates and slide the spool to replace the prints. O rings are on each end. They are the RD5000 Valves. There was no noticeable scuffs or tell marks on the spools themselves so no further service was needed.
In a directional control valve actuator operating pressure is not held by the elastomeric end seals. It is held by the metal to metal fit between the lands on the spools and the body of the valve. When that seal is compromised by wear the valve is not serviceable.

Dan

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
In a directional control valve actuator operating pressure is not held by the elastomeric end seals. It is held by the metal to metal fit between the lands on the spools and the body of the valve. When that seal is compromised by wear the valve is not serviceable.

Dan
I understand. My pint was, these rings were leaking and the diameter of the rings is critica due to the fit inside the end of the body and the ability of the spool to slide in and out of them. Could I have measured? Yes. However, I wanted them exact so I would have no more seepage from the end caps. They are no longer seeping fluid so the problem is fixed. As far as wear, I’m sure there is some. The splitter is over 20 years old and has been used a lot over the years. With all of the latest maintenance including new pump, it is back up to what it should be. I prefer to go to a hydraulic shop and get the right parts. That works best for me. If I ordered from Prince or Timberwolf I would pay a lot more.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I understand. My pint was, these rings were leaking and the diameter of the rings is critica due to the fit inside the end of the body and the ability of the spool to slide in and out of them. Could I have measured? Yes. However, I wanted them exact so I would have no more seepage from the end caps. They are no longer seeping fluid so the problem is fixed. As far as wear, I’m sure there is some. The splitter is over 20 years old and has been used a lot over the years. With all of the latest maintenance including new pump, it is back up to what it should be. I prefer to go to a hydraulic shop and get the right parts. That works best for me. If I ordered from Prince or Timberwolf I would pay a lot more.
I am simply trying to make one thing clear to other readers that may be as confused as I was by your earlier description of the valve overhaul. Replacing the end seals will not fix a high pressure bypassing problem in a spool valve. The leaks on the ends are coming from oil flow in the low pressure tank return core. It makes a mess but it does not reduce the valve's ability to generate cylinder pressure. High pressure bypassing is caused by physical wear on the spools and/or body and that typically means a complete valve replacement.

Dan

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Got it, sir. Turns out the pump solved the pressure issue and the o rings stopped the weeping. All is fine now. The valves would have been easy enough to rebuild if they were indeed bypassing. After replacing the parts, I had to readjust the detents so they would automatically release After the pressure stroke and again after the main cylinder returned to home. Thanks for the clarification.